how a metal gasket & the thickness effect the performance?

cws8622

Known Member
May 3, 2005
hi all,
i need some opinions from all the shifu about how a metal gasket & the thickness effect a car's performance? and is there any performance gasket for my hyundai coupe in our malaysia market or any online shopping website to recomment to get the performing gasket?
thanks...

zamans98

Known Member
Mar 7, 2004
Metal Gasket : To increase or decrease your head compression ratio

For turbo, the best (and cheapest) mod is to change head gasket to metal with thickness from 1.2mm to 2.0mm(rare). Most common in market is 1.5mm and 1.6mm

Say, standard factory gasket is 1.1mm and makes compression ratio in the head for 8.9 :1 . Using the head gasket of 1.6mm makes the compression ratio about 8.3 :1 (figure are assumption - don't fire me)

That for turbo. as you can see from the explanation, you car can have more HorsePower when the compression ration decrease.

The other way around for NA engines

For Hyundai, unfortunately - none i can find around, what more online shops.

You can buy the gasket ( NA engine, rite) and sent them to machine shop to get the gasket to be custom made. But remember, its not still the best options, as the machinist may not cut the real size and with actual water hole drilled.

Good luck (err- install EVO III engine inside lar)

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
so meaning if you install a metal head gasket in an NA engine, wont make any effect but just lessen the power???

EVO3gsr

Known Member
Jul 22, 2005
KL
standard turbo engine if change to metal gasket...wil gain power? or hv to mods?

Cavey

Known Member
Jul 18, 2005
Msia
zamans98 said:
Metal Gasket : To increase or decrease your head compression ratio

For turbo, the best (and cheapest) mod is to change head gasket to metal with thickness from 1.2mm to 2.0mm(rare). Most common in market is 1.5mm and 1.6mm

Say, standard factory gasket is 1.1mm and makes compression ratio in the head for 8.9 :1 . Using the head gasket of 1.6mm makes the compression ratio about 8.3 :1 (figure are assumption - don't fire me)

That for turbo. as you can see from the explanation, you car can have more HorsePower when the compression ration decrease.

The other way around for NA engines

For Hyundai, unfortunately - none i can find around, what more online shops.

You can buy the gasket ( NA engine, rite) and sent them to machine shop to get the gasket to be custom made. But remember, its not still the best options, as the machinist may not cut the real size and with actual water hole drilled.

Good luck (err- install EVO III engine inside lar)

Using a thicker gasket will not increase hp.The reason we lowwr the compression ratio is to reduce the stress on the piston.Honda engines with vtec have high compression ratio that is y to turbo a vtec we have to reduce the compression ratio.Safest method to lower compression ratio is to change to low compression pistons.For NA cars the gasket is either changed to thinner ones or to be on the safe side high compression pistons are used.If u take two turbo engines with the same specs and turbo,the one with higher compression will produce more power than the one with lower compression.But the one with higher compression will have a lot of stress on the engine

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
owh, like that lar, i see i see ;) so to make NA car more power, need to upgrade the pistons to high compression pistons and use thin metal head gasket ar?? like that better use original gasket rite? since originals are also considered very thing already rite?? sorry asking alot questions, big noob here ;)

Cavey

Known Member
Jul 18, 2005
Msia
cool man.I'm also a newbie but been surfing`alot lately to find info bot turbocharging so i read that in sum site.It makes sense anyway

flamefox850

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Mas
www.geocities.com
Cavey said:
Using a thicker gasket will not increase hp.The reason we lowwr the compression ratio is to reduce the stress on the piston.Honda engines with vtec have high compression ratio that is y to turbo a vtec we have to reduce the compression ratio.Safest method to lower compression ratio is to change to low compression pistons.For NA cars the gasket is either changed to thinner ones or to be on the safe side high compression pistons are used.If u take two turbo engines with the same specs and turbo,the one with higher compression will produce more power than the one with lower compression.But the one with higher compression will have a lot of stress on the engine
yerp..very true indeed Cavey. but i think zamans meant was when we lower the static compression ratio, we can boost higher and get higher dynamic compression ratio thus increase more horsepower (assuming other factor is good eg. fuel, ignition bla bla).

the reason why we use METAL gasket is the longer lasting and less risk of head gasket koyak then loss compression. somemore metal gasket comes in many thickness, at least we have an alternative way to increase/decrease compression ratio rather than using expensive forged custom piston

lower comp ratio actually will decrease torque/hp but ur engine will have less risk of detonation/pinging or whatever and u can boost higher and counter the power loss cause of lower comp

flamefox850

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Mas
www.geocities.com
craziechild said:
so does changing a metal gasket needs to open up the engine head?
yerp..have to open it

gavan : no la, NA or supercharge also can use what. NA engine usually use thinner metal gasket (eg 0.6mm, 0.4mm) to increase static compression ratio as NA engine dun have boost. ori gasket is something like 1.0mm (not necessarily true)

zamans98

Known Member
Mar 7, 2004
thx flamefox, indeed for TURBO is true. NA the other way around.

how is your monster doin'?

zamans98

Known Member
Mar 7, 2004
Cavey said:
that not what i meant. If you can lower the compression ratio, why not to up the boost as well? why need to install metal gasket without not having to increase the boost?
its easier than changing low compression piston, FORGED is all the correct way
HARDCORE modder will change piston + metal gasket. Having spend thousand of RM, will you simply run normal boost level? hell no.

SO, Metal Gasket + up boost = MORE HP. Don't you think so?

kori

Aug 30, 2004
zamans98 said:
that not what i meant. If you can lower the compression ratio, why not to up the boost as well? why need to install metal gasket without not having to increase the boost?
its easier than changing low compression piston, FORGED is all the correct way
HARDCORE modder will change piston + metal gasket. Having spend thousand of RM, will you simply run normal boost level? hell no.

SO, Metal Gasket + up boost = MORE HP. Don't you think so?
indeed .. but to clarify everything Metal Gasket alone will not effect on engine hp ...

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
so for NA car..
change to thinner gasket
will increase compression ratio n increase hp lo... :)

dono how much one thin gasket cost...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello,everybody....i have a civic eg with b16a auto gearbox.
i want to change to manual gearbox.
my question is,,,is the auto driveshaft same with the manual one?
please,can anybody provide me information..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience