Help !! No brake during cold start !!

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hello folks ~ this is an emergency , my dad's car volvo V40 2.0T 2005 is currently having brake problem issue during cold start .. !! During cold start , the brake is not strong/high pressure enough to stop the car from moving slowly !! WHICH IS VERY DANGEROUS !! Luckily i have him drive another car while i am driving this volvo until it is fixed !!

The scenario is like this , during cold start , i can feel the brake pedal actually sinks to the very end , engaged into D, the car moves slowly and the BRAKES can't stop the car in time if there is an incident !! I have to use hand brake to stop it from moving ... BUT ... After few minutes of warm up, given static or slowly drive on the road, the brake regain its stopping power but not as strong as before as the brake pedal still sinks quite deep to complete stop the car !! I have no time to go for mechanics to do check up , i wish to roughly know what are the target areas to start checking when i do have the time to drop by a garage ... FOLKS PLEASE HELP ME !!:adore:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
sounds dangerous, i think u may have an issue wit either the servo or the brake hoses sponging up. is the brake fluid full? i can come to u for a check up, pm for detail

anyhow, u have to repair it asap

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
u need to check
1. flush & bleed your brake fluid, make sure no bubbles in it. use DOT4 ( or recommended on the brake fluid cover) - u might accidentally poured in DOT 3, DOT 3 is red color, DOT 4 is transparent
2. change brake pads go for ori ones not OEM

if problems still persists, i think u need to change your servo pump.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

xtremeleo..
no hal...anyways...are u a mech ah?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
No the brake fluid still in acceptable level, no leakage, havent check the brake vose or brake pump, but am suspecting brake pump, brake pad is new from Volvo ... Will update you guys with details , thursday may go check up ... thx for replying ..

Any sifus that might happen to know whats the problem with the brakes please share it out ya ~ Your help is very appreciated :)

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
hmm, no brake fluid leakage, dat leaves the brake hose being spongy, and the servo. knowing dat u mentioned "need to depress the pedal deep", dat really sounds like the problem is in the servo / master pump area. check those first. we had the same problem wit a perdana TT, the problem was the master pump leaking.

was the braking system bled correctly? did the problem occur since the pads were changed? when did dis problem start?

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
my experience with spongy brake is

1) air in got into the brake fluid in the system
2)lousy master brake pump...thats y i changed mine to double layer...then problem solved. so since yrs was ok then now not...maybe is the brake master pump failing?

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
send it to volvo....sound expensive but they can diagnose the actual fault area...coz don under estimate brake problem..it cause life!
hope u repair it immediately....take care bro

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
hmm, no brake fluid leakage, dat leaves the brake hose being spongy, and the servo. knowing dat u mentioned "need to depress the pedal deep", dat really sounds like the problem is in the servo / master pump area. check those first. we had the same problem wit a perdana TT, the problem was the master pump leaking.

was the braking system bled correctly? did the problem occur since the pads were changed? when did dis problem start?
The brake pad was changed just early of this year ... no hard driving ... yes i really depress the pedal to deep before it regain its stopping power again after warm up ...

foofis

Known Member
May 23, 2010
Johor
seems like the brake piston on the caliper might have leakage, or your brake pads are high temperature needed to be "warm-up" before it bites

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
if piston calipers have oil leaking, oil will be visible around the caliper area....& need to top up brake fluid everytime.....piston calipers hard to leak, unless jammed got le...happen to me twice....

but since the pads are new, so the problem has to be the servo pump....got leaking....it will gonna costs u abit for new ones...u could search for halfcut ones.....

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
The brake pad was changed just early of this year ... no hard driving ... yes i really depress the pedal to deep before it regain its stopping power again after warm up ...
does it bite harder if u pump the brake up? whats the colour of ur brake fluid?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone know how to set my rear tyre, coz it touch the fender when tru e bumppy road. I already knock the fender but verry disspointed coz its still happen....so i change back my rear short stroke abs to stock one.....
i confuse how the satria owner lowered their car without any prob with fender....

http://www.circles99.com/elements/album/circles/00062279/00111537/DSC00574.JPG
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience