Help a newbie install an amplifier!

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Oct 3, 2006
i want to purchase a sony xm502z http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=XM502Z&region_id=1, a 2 channel amp , and install it to my factory standard front and rear speakers.Can i connect RL and FL , RR and FR parallel to get two channel ? Izzit true that all factory car speakers are 4 ohms? So if i connect parallel then the combined ohms per channel is 2 ohms ,true or not?

BTW my car is a honda civic year 2000 and the amp price is RM338 (Brothers).

Thank you:regular_smile:

craziechild

500 RPM
May 11, 2005
Sarawak
most car speakers are 4 ohm but not all... wira's front mid range and mid are 8 ohms...

as for your question... you are correct with the wirings and the output... but with this setup you cannot controll your fader... meaning you cannot shift your power more to the front speakers or more to the rear... can only left and right...

and when running 2 ohm... the power will be doubled... but each speaker will share the power equally... ie. 50W rms @ 2ohm x 2 , each speaker will be 25W rms @ 4ohm...

cheers...

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
as long as the amp is stable at 2 ohm stereo, it should be ok...

pacman

Oct 3, 2006
craziechild said:
most car speakers are 4 ohm but not all... wira's front mid range and mid are 8 ohms...

as for your question... you are correct with the wirings and the output... but with this setup you cannot controll your fader... meaning you cannot shift your power more to the front speakers or more to the rear... can only left and right...

and when running 2 ohm... the power will be doubled... but each speaker will share the power equally... ie. 50W rms @ 2ohm x 2 , each speaker will be 25W rms @ 4ohm...

cheers...
underpowered speaker are not my concern right now,not with teh crappy factory standard speaker & low end amp.i just want to connect my ipod to the line in of the amp and listen to it while driving.This is because my crappy HU died on me.So now i'm want to diy my ipod as alternative HU.

BTW i just bought the amp and now i'm trying to figure out how to power it.the manual stated that the power cable should have 30A fuse and the distance between the fuse and the battery must be less than 450mm.Now that a problem to a newbie like me, wiring the wire to the battery.Can i just use the power wire from the old HU and use it to power the Amp? i found out from the fuse box , that the old HU use 7.5A fuse.Can i change the fuse to 30A and use the old HU power wire ? Bout the wire thickness , i think there should be no problem, bcause the amp manual state use 14 gauge(2mm2 area ) wire.

Are my plan right?If not , how?

Thank you all ZTHian for helping me !:_:

Last edited:

craziechild

500 RPM
May 11, 2005
Sarawak
i am not talking about underpowering your spekers la... jus telling you how will the system work...

and as for your power cable... it is recommended to wire it directly to the battery + terminal with a thick wire... follow the spec would be safer so tht you wont fry other electronic stuff on your car...

as for iPod... you can use it... jus buy a "RCA to AUX" cable from jalan pasar and plug the RCA to your amp input and AUX to your iPod...

cheers...

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
get some 8awg power cable and an inline fuse as well as a round end clip. the amp should be wired direct to the battery, and also u need a remote turn on wire for the amp. since u dont have a HU anymore u may need to make up a switch for it and connect it to the HU power wire u mentioned earlier. this will be the amp's on-off switch, but the power for the amp must come directly from the battery and 8awg is the minimum size id recommend, not 14awg. 14 is what we use for speaker wires u know, hehe..

pacman

Oct 3, 2006
Zenn said:
get some 8awg power cable and an inline fuse as well as a round end clip. the amp should be wired direct to the battery, and also u need a remote turn on wire for the amp. since u dont have a HU anymore u may need to make up a switch for it and connect it to the HU power wire u mentioned earlier. this will be the amp's on-off switch, but the power for the amp must come directly from the battery and 8awg is the minimum size id recommend, not 14awg. 14 is what we use for speaker wires u know, hehe..
i have just intalled my amp today and it working great.But right now the REM is connected to the power line.That mean it always "on".I have some question about the REM.Where can i connect it to , so that the amplifier will on only during ignition .Can i use a wire from the old HU , that from the manual said " MEMORY (1A) ".

The amp will be placed under the front passenger seat.The ground wire is connected to a bolt holding the handbrake .Are there any problem with my current plan ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
yeah, forgot to advise u on the ground wire, but seems u have it sorted out, unless there are noise problems like alternator whine, etc. just make sure the area u bolt onto has no paint, it must be bare metal, just grind off the paint with sandpaper if u cant get a grinder.

for the remote u can tap any power source, preferably connected to your acc on equipment, so its not on all the time, except when your key is on acc. just add an inline switch for u to switch the amp on when u need to use it. look for power wire from original HU wire harness, that would be ok. test with a light when u turn the carkeys to acc it should be on.

A Post Every 5 Mins

Hi bro,i was involve in an accident last month n my UR bar (engine bay) was "run alignment" which mean not in the position wif screw nut hole.Any 1 noe where can fix it?:confused:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience