Help. 4age weak acceleration. How?

• Thread starter john
  • Start date
  • Replies 21
  • Views 7K
J

john

Hi All,

I am using 20v blacktop auto. Initially my pick up was very bad. so i did this: 1. change plugs 2.service 3.full exhaust system. 4.aftermarket air filter

it improves a little. but i still think it's very weak compared to my wira 1.8 sohc auto. the symptom is like this, in the morning when the engine is cold, whenever i accelerate there is like not enough petrol or something going in. so the car is reluctant to move. it's not too bad when the engine is hot. it's quite scary if you really need to accelerate when turning a junction and the car refuse to move reasonably.

when it comes to anything above 4.5k rpm, the car revs freely and i can really feel the pull. what should i do. Please help..... :(

John

Time to change to manual.
That is normal 4A engine characteristic, only got power on higher rpm range.

Try to get adjustable cam pulley and set of more respond on low range rpm, maybe will help.

change back to 4afe auto ... hahahahaha .. actually i no idea how 4age 20v auto respond is like ... ask sifu erwandy or sifu wong ..

seems normal to me... i mean the engine.

you say you changed a full exhaust system, IMHO most exhaust system out there are for performance thus you need to rev the engine even more, unless you make your own formula formula in exhaust length and all...

i wonder what artnet's exhaust setup was like already, seems to have better low end power compare to other blacktop...

what plugs?? cold plug always got this problem......last time my trd 8 plug worse need long time to warm up.......use back ori no problem

eg9, not now. pocket shallow.

yoga, preferably not lah . sat in sife efn car. dont think he has this problem.

rolla, was using ori blacktop exhaust before. also same.

4a, ok.

toms, normal ngk plugs. costs me only 30++

even when my car is on neutral, then i tekan the accelerator, it would struggle to hit 4.5krpm. something like out of breath.

knn... like that kancil also can smoke the hell out of me during pick up :D

Last edited by a moderator:
check ur o2 sensor.........old o2 sensor cant contribute to low FC n poor sluggish performance..

check and see you got any error code when running diagnostic ...

gt20v, thanks for the recomendation. put that in my list for next service. my fuel consumption is about 1l to 10km. is that normal?

yoga, i use the wire to check like u teach me. seems normal. however when using the handheld it show "error reading"

thanks george.

how do i check if my o2 sensor is working. seems like there is some oil leaking out from the sensor itself. hmm........

george8724 said:
hmmm... i think it has something to do with thr o2 sensor lah...

the stock 20V chokes at low RPM when u WOT. maybe can compensate it with standalone EMS by matching fuel to the amount of air at low RPM. O2 sensor may also be at fault, coz u tekan before the core has been heated up. couple that and a not-so-wise practice of revving the engine in the morning before it reaches operating temperature (temp gauge just below half) and you may be crying in the distant future.

changing to manual just to improve pickup is totally ur call. does it justify ur convenience going to and from work? (applicable ONLY if u travel frequently congested roads).

see also:
-ATF (gear oil)
-symptoms of a slipping/worn torque converter (only if u feel like the engine revs high but car wont go)

john,
i dunno about your car history or whatever cuz i dun really know you, but one thing i'm just curious and wanna ask. the engine has always been no power at low rev since the day you got it or just recently no power? you think its pumping less power at low rev than what it should? like already no power + even less power = evenmore less power

se80, thanks. will check on the o2 sensor.

rolla, it was like that since i did my transplant few months back. after taking the few steps i listed, then it's slightly better. but still consider very sluggish.

se80, thanks. will check on the o2 sensor.

rolla, it was like that since i did my transplant few months back. after taking the few steps i listed, then it's slightly better. but still consider very sluggish.

John, u have to remember these facts about 4A-GE 20V:
While not fully warmed up, VVT will not function fully (Oil Pressure not on par yet). And yes I did encounter this "slowness" specially early in the morning and cold nights where warming up takes longer. When this happens, even with Power Mode on it would not pull as how it should be.

Ah the other thing is that we all have to always remember that 4A-GE is a Hi-Rev motor, so by all account 4A-FE will fare better at Low RPM acceleration.

When everything is in place, Temp is up and Power Mode On, rest assured that Auto 4A-GE can take on any 4G93 NA (Wira 1.8, Satria GTi & Putra) anytime on the road - Proven and Tested.

Hehehe... EFN i totally agree with u ( Auto 4A-GE can take on any 4G93 NA (Wira 1.8, Satria GTi & Putra) anytime on the road - Proven and Tested. ). hehe i tested with GTI b4 at Sri Hartamas road to PJ near KLGCC. GTI cucuk me flash me and vroom vroom me wor... so i mah show him some SOUND loh "bomm bomm" everytime i high rev then change gear... then potong him loh... That fella quickly slow down and luckily he never stop at the road side with the bonnet up and on the double signal...hehe...

That's the best part of having a normal sedan looks and with the 4AGE inside... low profile mah... hehe.. Police oso won't kacau ler..

John, u have to remember these facts about 4A-GE 20V:
While not fully warmed up, VVT will not function fully (Oil Pressure not on par yet). And yes I did encounter this "slowness" specially early in the morning and cold nights where warming up takes longer. When this happens, even with Power Mode on it would not pull as how it should be.

What's SIFU EFN state here is correct,i do face this thingy early morning during warm up time.That time there's honda city tailing me so close.i got no power
..in the end he potong me ....hahahaha

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom