Engine swap for bmw e36?

arielhow

Aug 29, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all,

I can't help but wonder if I should really consider doing a swap for my 318 e36. You guys prolly would already know it is underpowered. It only gives decent amount of power only if 1 or 2 ppl are in the car. Any amount of ppl more than that...well, let's just say it is not ideal and offers only bad FC at the end of the day. So here're the two questions of the day for you masters of the road out there: Is it wise to swap it to a bigger bimmer engine like a 2.5 or 2.8? How much would the WHOLE process be?

Thanks! :biggrin:

Nobody
Helmet Clan
Dec 21, 2005
a conversion to 2.5 auto would cost you min 8k-10k,included halfcut,labour,parts & oils.

gwumpkus

Jan 4, 2010
Singapore
u may as well do the 2.8ltr... marginal difference..:)..
that said, the 318i is ok a runner i feel... i get about 10km/ltr from both of mine... considering the 2.8ltr transplant for one of them.. but that project is put on hold, the Supra gets my attention for now..:)..

is your 318i the M40? or M42?

Nobody
Helmet Clan
Dec 21, 2005
u may as well do the 2.8ltr... marginal difference..:)..
that said, the 318i is ok a runner i feel... i get about 10km/ltr from both of mine... considering the 2.8ltr transplant for one of them.. but that project is put on hold, the Supra gets my attention for now..:)..

is your 318i the M40? or M42?

you mean M40 & M43?M42 is twin cam,similar output with M50B20 2.0

arielhow

Aug 29, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
It's a m43 engine. Hrmm, 8k-10k ey...some friends suggested superchargers, would that be advicable? and i think it's pretty hard to find a 2.5 auto engine these days,no?

arielhow

Aug 29, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I did, but sadly the engine you showed me was not available anymore so i stopped hunting for awhile. Now i'm kinda itching =P so minimum 10k to do a conversion? and no to supercharger?

arielhow

Aug 29, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
SWEET!

I think it'd still be ideal to just swap to a m42, considering that i don't need to change much of the car cept the wiring? correct me if i'm wrong but swapping to a 2.5 or 2.8 requires me to change the wheel mount as well or something like that due to the weight of the engine etc?

Sonic Thunder

Known Member
Jun 23, 2008
bro...swap in da F20C from da S200 sr8 man!
ive seen a E36 on option video b4!
V-TEC POWER!:burnout:
jst my opinion!
g'luck wit ur conversion!
cheers!

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
wat abt RB25/26?..sounds good with lotsa hp?..

gwumpkus

Jan 4, 2010
Singapore
my friend's just done the M42 swap into his 318i, seems to be straightforward job... :) so far the only s/c ones i know are some chaps in the US, who've used the DASC into the m44's..both for Z3s and 318iS..

wheel mounts? er.. u mean the hubs etc? never thought they were an issue..correct me if i'm wrong, but the chassis is pretty much designed to take all the engines, of course mountings might differ, but mounting positions are afaik same.

seems manual versions are diff to find..so if u do find a 325/328i that u want, u could do the transplant, ensure everything is runnig stable, before u swap out the autobox.. also a straightforward job..depends on what engine u get, i might have a spare getrag 5-spd lying around from our "spares"..:)..

good luck bro..:)

SWEET!

I think it'd still be ideal to just swap to a m42, considering that i don't need to change much of the car cept the wiring? correct me if i'm wrong but swapping to a 2.5 or 2.8 requires me to change the wheel mount as well or something like that due to the weight of the engine etc?

arielhow

Aug 29, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for all the suggestions bros :) I'm kinda determined to just swap it to a bimmer engine, ideally a 2.5/2.8 auto. Any reliable cut-shops that any of you may know of or reccomend?

@gwumpkus, how did your friend find the difference after the swap? was it worth it and how much did it cost him overall?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

Recently I drove along side a Renault Megane RS along the sprint highway and I noticed his exhaust was firing whenever he up shift or down shift. The firing was very minor, not like those Lamborghini or Racing Cars, it was small but visible and he was cruising fairly usual, he wasnt upshifting hard or downshifting in high revs. It looked pretty damn cool from my view and I was curious what mods did he do to make his exhaust fire mildly...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience