BMW e46 318ci engine swap

drill

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Damansara
Hi,
I am thinking of doing an engine swap for my BMW e46 318Ci currently running on M43 engine to M54b30.

Looking for suggestions for trustable and reasonably priced workshop to this within Selangor area.

Also, any workshop owners are welcome to pm me their business location plus estimated price for this matter.

Just a bit info that i got from another fellow workshop, mine is already facelift so certain things such as the door door doesnt need to be change.

Thanks

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Prepare about 10-15k to do all this including the engine. The shop i recommend is Wai N Lin in Puchong industrial park. They've done a Z4 M54b30 transplant and Ah Wai (the boss) himself has a 3.0 transplant ready for his E46.

But his shop is usually full of pretty nice JDMs so please call before you drop by with your request. May need to queue. If you like you can mention Chris recommended you.

Reactions: drill

drill

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Damansara
Prepare about 10-15k to do all this including the engine. The shop i recommend is Wai N Lin in Puchong industrial park. They've done a Z4 M54b30 transplant and Ah Wai (the boss) himself has a 3.0 transplant ready for his E46.

But his shop is usually full of pretty nice JDMs so please call before you drop by with your request. May need to queue. If you like you can mention Chris recommended you.
Thanks bro. Will give him a visit one of this day. Manage to locate the workshop in google map. Hehehe

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
another very experienced shop is ah wai from BM World at bandar tun razak,
they've done countless bm conversions, understand engineering work
fast and dependable, but more premium than most

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Alternatively, i would recommend 1JZ swap it. Depends on your power goal and how long you want to drive this E46ci though, 1JZ probably will outlive M54B30.

Cheers.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Alternatively, i would recommend 1JZ swap it. Depends on your power goal and how long you want to drive this E46ci though, 1JZ probably will outlive M54B30.

Cheers.
That's debatable. Also it depends on which model his BMW is. If it's a 1.8L it won't be feasible to transplant to a 2.5L as it'll void the registration card and make it non-transferrable. It needs to be a 2.2/2.5 or 2.8 to retain the validity of the registration card.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
That's debatable. Also it depends on which model his BMW is. If it's a 1.8L it won't be feasible to transplant to a 2.5L as it'll void the registration card and make it non-transferrable. It needs to be a 2.2/2.5 or 2.8 to retain the validity of the registration card.
Well with the right contact, you can get it registered, and its pretty easy to do so if no excessive cutting involved during the transplant process. From 1.9 to 3.0, that's even harder to endorse but its BMW to BMW, i think its worth a shot.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Well with the right contact, you can get it registered, and its pretty easy to do so if no excessive cutting involved during the transplant process. From 1.9 to 3.0, that's even harder to endorse but its BMW to BMW, i think its worth a shot.
no no, don't get me wrong. A BMW 1.8 going to a 2.5 1JZ can be road legal. It just won't be transferrable later. I've seen plenty of those "dibatalkan" type reg cards for these converts. My own case was a 2.8 downgrade to the 1JZ so there wasn't a 30% increase issue so I never had the problem.

And erm... the 1.8 engine is a 4 cylinder. All the Mxx 6 cylinder engines look identical up to the 3.0. So buy a 2.0 6 cylinder and swap to a 3.0 there'd be no visible difference in the engine bay so........ ahem

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
no no, don't get me wrong. A BMW 1.8 going to a 2.5 1JZ can be road legal. It just won't be transferrable later. I've seen plenty of those "dibatalkan" type reg cards for these converts. My own case was a 2.8 downgrade to the 1JZ so there wasn't a 30% increase issue so I never had the problem.

And erm... the 1.8 engine is a 4 cylinder. All the Mxx 6 cylinder engines look identical up to the 3.0. So buy a 2.0 6 cylinder and swap to a 3.0 there'd be no visible difference in the engine bay so........ ahem
Convert and keep for life.......lol

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008

Oh oh i see, well transferable issue, can be sort out later with the right amount of starbucks treated :P

Btw i am keeping this car as my future company's mascot, going to compile a story about it soon and documents all mods that i had done, especially modifying the auto gearbox itself, think that will create certain buzz in near future. Old automatic transmission can be fun for the guys and ladies :)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oh oh i see, well transferable issue, can be sort out later with the right amount of starbucks treated :P

Btw i am keeping this car as my future company's mascot, going to compile a story about it soon and documents all mods that i had done, especially modifying the auto gearbox itself, think that will create certain buzz in near future. Old automatic transmission can be fun for the guys and ladies :)
if the reg card has already been "cancelled", you can't transfer anymore legally. "Other" methods will be very very costly, potentially over 1-2k

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
if the reg card has already been "cancelled", you can't transfer anymore legally. "Other" methods will be very very costly, potentially over 1-2k
1-2k starbucks "voucher" lo. Anyway i won't be worried of that matter, as i am driving it to the ground, going to keep on building it and drive it everywhere, it would be a dream if i can build this car and drive crossborder into Thailand and travel within.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Anyway, I've test driven a Z4 with a M54b30 transplant with auto and it's bloody nice. So smoooooooth

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Anyway, I've test driven a Z4 with a M54b30 transplant with auto and it's bloody nice. So smoooooooth
I only got my hands on B28 on E46, love the noise and smooth gear changing.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We had another encounters last Sunday, although I could hardly lift up both my arms & shoulder is so stiff like a concrete……but detailing who can resist….

Instead of FLEE-ing …I flew to the crime scene….. one of which my buddy got a rotary & he started correcting his wife 13 years old oxidized car……

Let me share with you more…if you would please

Remember how lighting plays a big part in Car Detailing , as most cars defect only been seen from a strong lighting, what professional...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience