adjustment to 3-way-electronic XO

desmond937

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
hello everybody,
wanna ask something bout adjustment on my 3-way-Elec. XO. i have one 4" COAXIALS speakers and another 6.5". i would like to know the adjustment on my electronic XO. so,

front high pass: the high pass freq control range is from 35Hz to 400Hz. i already switch on my 4 channel amp XO to high pass. so for this 3-way-Elec XO, what freq. should i switch to? the front output level allow from 0 to 10dB. so, which dB should i switch it to? based on the feeling? wat bout the multiplier? x1 or x20?

rear high pass: same as above. which freq range should i tune to and the dB level? and not to forget the multiplier?

sub low pass: the freq range is from 25 to 400Hz. which one to tune to? Boost level? range is from 0dB to 18dB. then got this sub output level? from 0 to 10dB.
the amp for this sub must switch to low pass rite for the xo?

anyone?Zenn?kyheng?oldskolboyz?........pls?

desmond.

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
Adjustment on the E-crossover, first the sub must turn off(minimum till no sound) then follow by front speakers. Then you start to adjust your speakers. As your amp is set to high pass, then you adjust your XO such that the bass won't come blak blak blak sound and the treble not too sharp. The gain you have to set at a constant, say 50%. After adjust the rear speakers, the rear turn to minimum and front 50%, then again adjust the sound for your front. After this turn off the front speakers and turn on the sub. For sub, you have to adjus the settings such that the bass is solid and no plag plag sound comes out. Have work for 16 hours for 2 days, so my statement will be blur abit, please forgive me, but 1 thing for sure is you have to try and error to get the 'perfect sound' that you want. Not only just by me or other member's view.

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
that 0 - 10 dB is a freq. boost so u do not need it. Set it at 0db. Multiplier set to x1.

switch off ur amp xover and use ur elec. xover unless u have confident of getting the same freq. cut off between ur 3-way xover and amp.

set ur high pass (front & rear) at 90 & ur lowpass at 90hz. U can overlap if u feel some missing freq.

ur setup is simple since u use two pair of coax. speakers so not much can be done except speakers placement.

ur u want ur sub to play more on higher freq. eg. 110hz, just set it there. FYI the higher the freq. for bass, the 'harder' u will feel it pound. But it does not mean it is 'tight'.

desmond937

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
i've check the ask.com on how to adjust the E-XO. however, i found out that my E-XO is not 3-way! it dun have band pass! but writtent there 3-way! what a cheat for this manufacturer! sigh.....this is the steps:

1. Disconnect the rear speakers and subwoofers from the sound system.

2. Set the highpass crossover for the front speakers at 120 Hz and up.

3. Play some music you are familiar with. Choose something that has a decent bass response. Listen to the speakers at the volume you would normally listen to them.

4. Adjust the crossover point a little higher if you hear distortion. If it does not distort, adjust the crossover point a little lower to get more midbass. Push the speakers right to their limits - just where it starts to distort - then readjust the crossover point a little higher to get it off the distortion.

5. Disconnect the front speakers and connect the rear speakers.

6. Follow steps 2 through 4.

7. Connect all the speakers.

8. Listen to the music playing through your system and set the amplifier gains to achieve either front stage, front and rear balance, or rear fill.

9. Keep the front and rear speakers on. Connect the subwoofers.

10. Set the lowpass crossover point for the subwoofers at 150 Hz and down to start.

11. Play music and listen to the subwoofers.

12. Adjust the crossover point down until you hear the sound you like. You can leave the crossover point at 150 Hz, adjust it down to 100 Hz and listen again. If it doesn't sound the way you want, adjust the crossover point down to 80 Hz, then down to 50 Hz.

i dun really understand the previous statements from u guys, i'm very new in this. can u guys pls correct from this steps i took from net? thanks a millon! hehe....

desmond.

desmond937

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
FYI, the steps above never mention bout the front output level and rear output level which is in dB one? what is that for? also they didn't mention bout boost level for sub woofer?

**wat is distortion? how is it sound like?

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
Distortion is something like the speakers comes out blak blak sound. It does not matter is your XO is 3way, 2way or whatever, diff XO got diff settings, you have to test this out by DIY to get your 'perfect sound' that you want. The important point is don't let your mid speakers have too strong bass, as it will 'kill' your sub's bass. Most of your questions has been answered from what you post. Unless you are willing to waste some money to acc shops.

desmond937

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
hmm, i notice now my elec. XO, they turn the front and rear channel to bout 380hz. and also the output level which is in dB one, both also the same, hmmm, i wonder why i can hear front sound more than the back........shouldn't it be equal? or maybe they differ abit, just i din notice.....?

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
Diff brand of speakers got diff power input. So if the settings is same is not mean that the sound level is the same.

oldskolboyz

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Aiyaa... You got the IASCA 2005 version test CD oledi... use it loorr... Track 17 (7 beat drum) for sound stage from left to right.. beat no 1 sound should hear from left speaker, beat no 2 should hear at left A pillar, beat no 3 should hear at front passenger (dashboard), beat no 4 should hear at center dashboard, beat no 5 should hear at front of driver/you (dashboard), beat 6 should hear at right A pillar & the last beat no 7 should hear at right speaker... use you XO gain to adjust it... to make sure the sound must came out from the center your dashboard not from either left or right chanel... like you see live concert.. dont bother about your rear speaker (rear fill) as long the rear speaker did not distub your sound stage loorr... that only for rear passenger... not for you... Front more louder than rear & not comfortable with you coz your leak sound stage... some time you hear left chanel louder than right or the other side.. about the high pass & low pass we oledi discuss it last time... did know if your XO have this Phase Adjustment feature(sub)...

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
oldskolboyz,
if he's asking how to set xover then ur explanation will be too advance for him.

and what u describe on the drum beats will be better tacked in speaker placement since xover adjustment will not help much.

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
desmond937 said:
hello everybody,
wanna ask something bout adjustment on my 3-way-Elec. XO. i have one 4" COAXIALS speakers and another 6.5". i would like to know the adjustment on my electronic XO. so,

front high pass: the high pass freq control range is from 35Hz to 400Hz. i already switch on my 4 channel amp XO to high pass. so for this 3-way-Elec XO, what freq. should i switch to? the front output level allow from 0 to 10dB. so, which dB should i switch it to? based on the feeling? wat bout the multiplier? x1 or x20?

rear high pass: same as above. which freq range should i tune to and the dB level? and not to forget the multiplier?

sub low pass: the freq range is from 25 to 400Hz. which one to tune to? Boost level? range is from 0dB to 18dB. then got this sub output level? from 0 to 10dB.
the amp for this sub must switch to low pass rite for the xo?

anyone?Zenn?kyheng?oldskolboyz?........pls?

desmond.

multiplier set to x1, frequency set around 60 (play-2 around 50-80), output level set according to your preference later. rear would be the same as above, but your 4" may not be able to go as low as the fronts, so to protect it id say set at 80 and play around 60-120. sub set at 60 first, then play from 50-80, boost level set according to your preference, and level also.

i prefer to set all lp/hp on the amps to off when using an e-cross to avoid double filtering. didnt we explain all these to you before in older threads?

desmond937

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
after got the IASCA test cd, tested my system, found that i am very not satisfied with my 4" at the front. i wanna bridge the 4 channel amp to 2 channel amp so i can get 75wRMS at 4ohm to drive a high end front component set, say focal k2p! damn the 4"....if in this case, my E-XO rear input is not connected to anything liao rite? only play front input and the sub input only rite? the rear speaker kasi run by HU. dun wanna invest on that anymore as i care bout my listening more than the passenger, keke....selfish ah!

so in this case with component set, there already provide the passive crossover to divide the low pass and high pass, cani run with my E-XO also? means from E-XO to bridged 4 channel to 2 channel amp, then finally to component set. more better rite? in this case adjustment same as playing around 50-80 rite?multiplier set to x1?

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
yes u do have to use the passive crossovers, they come after the amp, before the speakers. e-cross multiplier still at x1

desmond937

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
thanks Zenn....any idea on this band pass thingy on E-XO? mine one cap ayam dun have, those memphis one got. is it use for 3 way one? which band pass is for mid range? high pass for tweeter, then low pass for mid bass.....correct or not?

pisces23

Known Member
Apr 30, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
In a full active set up:

A) 2 way comps
1) bandpass your midbass
2) high pass your tweeters
3) low pass your sub.

B) 3 way comps
1) bandpass your midbass
2) bandpass your midrange