1st gen vios vs 2nd gen vios

Kyusuke_FD3S

Known Member
Aug 14, 2006
Hi everyone,

Just want to get your opinion as I plan to buy a 2nd hand Vios.

What is the common problem for 1st gen Vios vs 2nd gen Vios ?
Or which one is more preferable ?

Thanks.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Hi everyone,

Just want to get your opinion as I plan to buy a 2nd hand Vios.

What is the common problem for 1st gen Vios vs 2nd gen Vios ?
Or which one is more preferable ?

Thanks.
Both is the same, just depends u want which design only :biggrin:
Cons is that 1 is older and might have more wear & tear due to age and 2nd gen Vios is newer.

Unless u prefer the 1st Gen design. 2nd Gen Interior still looks better though. I would pick 2nd Gen which is the Dugong :smile:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
The common problem is the car is very dull to drive...
Its like driving a very reliable coffin made in japan.

Its veru reliable as the tech used has been around for ages and its very simple.what can go worng?

which one to prefer?
The one with lower mileage and never been in an accident as its a 2nd hand car.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The common problem is the car is very dull to drive...
Its like driving a very reliable coffin made in japan.

Its veru reliable as the tech used has been around for ages and its very simple.what can go worng?

which one to prefer?
The one with lower mileage and never been in an accident as its a 2nd hand car.
It IS dull to drive, but at least it doesn't handle like a boat!

between 1st & 2nd gen... in order of recommendation.
1. buy the newest car you can afford..that means 2nd gen..
2. buy the owner, not the car. which means buy direct from owner.. first..you can negotiate cheaper than market..since if they trade in or sell to used car dealer also lower than market.. 2nd.. you can gauge whether the owner is the type who would take care of the car or not.
3. the service history of the car is more important than how it looks.. so even if it looks like it has minor scuffs, scratches, but serviced at Toyota... changed new tyres.. replaced wear and tear parts over the years with full history..versus a clean looking car siap polish but no history..but the first car..not the second one...

finally... the vios is a real practical car..easy to maintain..spare parts all over the place. but yeah..its a boring choice.. a 2003 Vios 1st gen also RM27k..... how about a 2007 Nissan Latio.. RM32k.. 5k difference for 4 years..

4 years is very old for an economy car.

dinmsab

Jun 20, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
It IS dull to drive, but at least it doesn't handle like a boat!
What are you talking about? Vios is THE legendary boat car, only rivaled by MyVi.
This is not necessarily a bad thing as the car was made to be practical with comfort in mind.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What are you talking about? Vios is THE legendary boat car, only rivaled by MyVi.
This is not necessarily a bad thing as the car was made to be practical with comfort in mind.
I can't decide if you're being sarcastic or being serious here. :rofl:

Lunch time I'm always in the 1st gen Vios. A very very badly taken care of Vios. Which still travels 160km/h everyday along the MEX highway. Very little spoils and when it does, it's not expensive to maintain. 10 years old and still commands a ridiculous price of RM25k to RM30k.

Dugong is my other lunch time kaki friends car. A lady car so you can imagine the state it's in. Surprisingly it has more rattles and shakes compared to my other friends 1st gen Vios. Newer car and price wise it's about the same as the 1st gen one.

Both stock cars and driven both. I'm not fond of either one but probably because of the poor condition they are in. 1st gen one has leather seats but cushion kinda flat and I suspect the GB and engine mountings need changing. The dugong had a roach infestation in it so it stinks inside. Leather seats also but at least the suspension was better than the 1st gen one but that's not saying much. Rather heavy steering for some reason.

Anyway, bottomline is even though these two cars were so poorly treated, they still carried on like the workhorses they were meant to be. Fuel consumption was still pretty amazing for both cars and maintained by Toyota SC themselves. If you get the Vios it'll be because of FC, not driving excellence, not modding potential, not because of that trashy engine (revvy but no torque) and definitely not because of the space.

Honestly if you have money to buy a 30k Vios, might as well get a new car like the Axia. Less headache.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I can't decide if you're being sarcastic or being serious here. :rofl:

Lunch time I'm always in the 1st gen Vios. A very very badly taken care of Vios. Which still travels 160km/h everyday along the MEX highway. Very little spoils and when it does, it's not expensive to maintain. 10 years old and still commands a ridiculous price of RM25k to RM30k.

Dugong is my other lunch time kaki friends car. A lady car so you can imagine the state it's in. Surprisingly it has more rattles and shakes compared to my other friends 1st gen Vios. Newer car and price wise it's about the same as the 1st gen one.

Both stock cars and driven both. I'm not fond of either one but probably because of the poor condition they are in. 1st gen one has leather seats but cushion kinda flat and I suspect the GB and engine mountings need changing. The dugong had a roach infestation in it so it stinks inside. Leather seats also but at least the suspension was better than the 1st gen one but that's not saying much. Rather heavy steering for some reason.

Anyway, bottomline is even though these two cars were so poorly treated, they still carried on like the workhorses they were meant to be. Fuel consumption was still pretty amazing for both cars and maintained by Toyota SC themselves. If you get the Vios it'll be because of FC, not driving excellence, not modding potential, not because of that trashy engine (revvy but no torque) and definitely not because of the space.

Honestly if you have money to buy a 30k Vios, might as well get a new car like the Axia. Less headache.
Axia? But it's NOT a Toyota. How to tell people I made it in life if I don't drive a Toyota? Oh the horror.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Axia? But it's NOT a Toyota. How to tell people I made it in life if I don't drive a Toyota? Oh the horror.
Driving a toyota is meaningless now because they have Lexus... unless you r driving a 86, or a supra. But then, there is LFA..

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
There is a saying "One mountain is higher than another mountain"

What I can say is just drive what you can afford, without compromising your life too much.

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Driving a toyota is meaningless now because they have Lexus... unless you r driving a 86, or a supra. But then, there is LFA..
When you have LFA, you would slowly want to upgrade to another better one after some time driving it. :driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Toyota drivers will tell you. Toyota OWNS Lexus. Toyota is the parent, Lexus is the child company. Toyota is superior.

Or, they just stick a Lexus logo on their Vios and tell you "its same company laaaa"

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Toyota drivers will tell you. Toyota OWNS Lexus. Toyota is the parent, Lexus is the child company. Toyota is superior.

Or, they just stick a Lexus logo on their Vios and tell you "its same company laaaa"

What about SCION Vios?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

What about SCION Vios?

Same thing applies to Perodua, no? Toyota > Daihatsu > Perodua. So wannabe will be like Toyota = Perodua = Daihatsu

LOL i know scion shares toyota FT86. I really want to meet that wannabe to see how he looks like lollll :rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Same thing applies to Perodua, no? Toyota > Daihatsu > Perodua. So wannabe will be like Toyota = Perodua = Daihatsu

LOL i know scion shares toyota FT86. I really want to meet that wannabe to see how he looks like lollll :rofl:
Cuz Scion also own by Toyota also :smile:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys. i'm newbie here~ i'm from Penang=)is there any shops to recommend for reverse camera? wishing to install reverse camera for my camry.and is that necessary to install front camera?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience