Discussion On Your Daily Ride

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Porsche 1999, Carrera 996 NA 3.6L Boxer auto.

City driving 8-9km/L and highway can get easily 13/14km/L

RON97 only. :P
No wonder bmw1jzparking. Got porjeh.

YellowFlash

Known Member
Sep 28, 2009
Jb
Porsche 1999, Carrera 996 NA 3.6L Boxer auto.

City driving 8-9km/L and highway can get easily 13/14km/L

RON97 only. :P
The fuel efficiency of your flat 6 engine is amazing... the 996 is an absolute beauty, one of my favourite. My highway cruising is only about 7.5km/L and about 7 with a mix of city driving.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The fuel efficiency of your flat 6 engine is amazing... the 996 is an absolute beauty, one of my favourite. My highway cruising is only about 7.5km/L and about 7 with a mix of city driving.
How on earth you getting worse than the Porsche mpg?

No wonder bmw1jzparking. Got porjeh.
Yeah, a loaner car. I can't personally afford the roadtax. half year 1.9k is insanity.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah, bcoz u fill Vpower thats why u pay more. I just use 95 and i drive like old man some more hehe. i also keep the speed below 120kmh coz beyond that, the ECO sign is off meaning not economical anymore.

previous owner said use 97 also no difference, but sometimes like once a month, he will fill full tank 97 so can clean the engine. i dont know to what extent this is true. anyone use mark x here experience increase in performance when using 97/Vpower maybe? imho, engine is not cleaner using 97 compared to 95, but in terms of performance, maybe a little difference. any opinion?
I have tried 97, and 100 mix with 95 to get 98. Honestly, the difference is minimal, just a slightly better response but not worth the price difference IMHO. That's why I just use 95. Never tired Vpower because I think its BS as it's still just the same 97 with only some extra snake oil or whatever but the price is ridiculous. Never tried 100 full also but maybe later I might just for the sake of it.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Wow...super good fuel economy for a 2.5L V6!

My recent trip from JB to Genting to KL and then back to JB, Total mileage was about 950km.... Refilled about 3 full tank, about RM600 cause i pump only Vpower racing/Ron100 where possible. :bawling:
Rich man indeed.

YellowFlash

Known Member
Sep 28, 2009
Jb
How on earth you getting worse than the Porsche mpg?

Yeah, a loaner car. I can't personally afford the roadtax. half year 1.9k is insanity.
The fuel economy of the 3.6 flat 6 is almost unbelievable at 8-9km/l for city and 13-14km/l... many 2.0l and above cars averages 8-10km/l, and performance cars easily get lower than the 8-10km/l. For the larger SUV, i heard it’s also quite common to have 7-8km/l. And yes, 7km/l on highest grade premium is painful:banghead:
For my car, the lower FC could partially be attributed to older engine and probably suboptimal tuning. Planning on a major project soon.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Wow...super good fuel economy for a 2.5L V6!

My recent trip from JB to Genting to KL and then back to JB, Total mileage was about 950km.... Refilled about 3 full tank, about RM600 cause i pump only Vpower racing/Ron100 where possible. :bawling:
RON100 I honestly doubt your car would use to its fullest. Vpower Racing is just RON97 with extreme additives and stuff. Good for cleaning your pistons and all that good stuff. You pump it every 3-4 fills is more than enough. Stick with RON97 enough la

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The fuel economy of the 3.6 flat 6 is almost unbelievable at 8-9km/l for city and 13-14km/l... many 2.0l and above cars averages 8-10km/l, and performance cars easily get lower than the 8-10km/l. For the larger SUV, i heard it’s also quite common to have 7-8km/l. And yes, 7km/l on highest grade premium is painful:banghead:
For my car, the lower FC could partially be attributed to older engine and probably suboptimal tuning. Planning on a major project soon.
What SUV you driving again?

Haha.. I’m not, it’s sucking me dry.
Use RON97 la. There's seriously no real reason to use anything higher. Switch to VPR once in a while and you'll save a lot.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
V Power Racing is minimum RON 97... actually why bother just pump RON 97. Petron Blaze 100 is different la, really RON 100.

YellowFlash

Known Member
Sep 28, 2009
Jb
RON100 I honestly doubt your car would use to its fullest. Vpower Racing is just RON97 with extreme additives and stuff. Good for cleaning your pistons and all that good stuff. You pump it every 3-4 fills is more than enough. Stick with RON97 enough la
haha...i can't stick to Ron 97 cause there is a high risk of engine knocking, in fact the decrease in performance is pretty obvious once i pump Ron 97. Manufacturer's recommendation is Ron 98 and above, i'd have to de-tune to safely use Ron 97.

What SUV you driving again?

Use RON97 la. There's seriously no real reason to use anything higher. Switch to VPR once in a while and you'll save a lot.
I am not driving a SUV, driving a 2.5L turbocharged flat 4 Japanese hatchback :driver:, the premium price for fuel is part of the price to pay for performance...:laugh:

YellowFlash

Known Member
Sep 28, 2009
Jb
V Power Racing is minimum RON 97... actually why bother just pump RON 97. Petron Blaze 100 is different la, really RON 100.
yea....i'd pump Ron 100 over Vpower racing if available since like you mention, VPR is Ron 97 with addictives and it is more expensive than Ron 100.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
The Mark X engine has a high compression of 12:1. Typically for higher compression engines, it is recommended to run higher octane fuel to prevent engine knocking. However most family sedan (typically non-sport models) are able to accept Ron 95 as the ecu will retard the ignition timing when lower octane fuel is detected. Mark X's higher compression engine should be able to utilize and extract more power from the higher Ron 97 hence it should make a difference in terms of power but then it depends on how fast the ecu learn and adjust to make use of the better fuel.

For my car, i can't use lower octane fuel as my engine will be knocking if lower grade fuel is used. Even Ron 97 is a little bit risky once my turbo is boosting (compression goes up substantially during boost), i'd rather pay for the fuel more than getting my engine fail prematurely.

you can read up more on engine knocking here -> https://repairpal.com/engine-knocking

More on octane rating -> https://www.carthrottle.com/post/engineering-explained-high-vs-low-octane-petrol/
From some google research, 11:1 is already regarded as high compression, recommended to use 97. cant wait to dry up my tank and fill up with 97. huhu

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
From some google research, 11:1 is already regarded as high compression, recommended to use 97. cant wait to dry up my tank and fill up with 97. huhu
Depends on tuning and ignition timing..can lower timing so it doesn’t detonate as well.. so can run RON 95

YellowFlash

Known Member
Sep 28, 2009
Jb
i think your car should be able to run on Ron 95, believe for most family sedan, the manufacturer would have tuned the car's ecu to adapt to lower octane fuel. Higher performance variants such as Swift Sport and Civic Type R will require at least Ron 97 as the car is tuned for that. To be safe, do check your car's handbook for manufacturer's recommendation.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi bros,

Izzit ok to reset ECU by disconnecting the battery terminal often?... I found my car fuel comsumption is better by do it.

Pls advise.

Tks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience