Review: Firestorm Ignition Coil Booster

peterlm

Known Member
Nov 3, 2011
Penang
[/QUOTE]My unit I transfer from the Hyundai to my VR since same Mitsu fuse box. But immediately my car cannot crank. Have to wait a while then only can crank:banghead:. Removing the FS then can crank immediately. Fitted back tried one round like no effect in my VR, so remove and put back in the Hyundai. In the Hyundai can crank[/QUOTE]

You cannot just install in any car that has the same fusebox layout. Different cars even though with the same fusebox would have the ignition coil fuse in a different location.

An example would be the Wira Mitsubishi 4G15 engine and the Wira SVDO model. Both use the same fusebox layout but the installation for both models are at different fuse locations.

An authorized dealer will know this and also have the installation for all the car models that have been installed.

I will be installing the FireStorm in a BMW 2.0T F10 year 2012 this week. No other dealer has installed yet so they won't know where to install it.

escksu

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Singapore
Hmmm...pay peanuts get peanuts. Whether there is sudden improvement or not, is either psychologically or it really does. Btw, never tried and never believe in things like this that can give improvement to performance. Well, that's just me.

If for fuel saving I might believe but performance improve? I doubt it. Yet never really heard about FireStorm before.
I have more faith in QMax and Hot Inazma, even though there are volt stabilizers. :rofl:
Lol..... Sad to say bro, the Hot Inazma does nothing.... I have the Type MR installed. Bought it to try for fun. But nothing at all. Waste of money.

Now, my only hope is that it extends battery life.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hmmm...pay peanuts get peanuts. Whether there is sudden improvement or not, is either psychologically or it really does. Btw, never tried and never believe in things like this that can give improvement to performance. Well, that's just me.

If for fuel saving I might believe but performance improve? I doubt it. Yet never really heard about FireStorm before.
I have more faith in QMax and Hot Inazma, even though there are volt stabilizers. :rofl:
Are you kidding? Those vs are over priced and are just glorified vs. even if they work how do you justify the cost of one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
My unit I transfer from the Hyundai to my VR since same Mitsu fuse box. But immediately my car cannot crank. Have to wait a while then only can crank:banghead:. Removing the FS then can crank immediately. Fitted back tried one round like no effect in my VR, so remove and put back in the Hyundai. In the Hyundai can crank
You cannot just install in any car that has the same fusebox layout. Different cars even though with the same fusebox would have the ignition coil fuse in a different location.

An example would be the Wira Mitsubishi 4G15 engine and the Wira SVDO model. Both use the same fusebox layout but the installation for both models are at different fuse locations.

An authorized dealer will know this and also have the installation for all the car models that have been installed.

I will be installing the FireStorm in a BMW 2.0T F10 year 2012 this week. No other dealer has installed yet so they won't know where to install it.
I'm getting very sick of this guy bashing other sellers so openly here. Some would say this guy has an arrogant attitude.

escksu

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Singapore
Are you kidding? Those vs are over priced and are just glorified vs. even if they work how do you justify the cost of one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
These VS do not work. I am the inazma MR connected to my batt right now. Does nothing. Its just snake oil stuff. Luckily I bought it 2nd hand. Cost me around RM400.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Of course plug into ignition fuse place. What I am saying is the fuse type also same so no need cut wire.
Don't expect me to plug in my ICE fuse so I get faster bass?:rofl:

Last edited:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I though market price is 200-250 somthing >.< But the transparent packing make me felt so uncomfortable as a consumer, there is nothing else listed
I think I know why already. Why I didn't thought of it earlier.
Producing these without any legal paperwork can skip a lot of unnecessary taxes.
Cleverly done.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
As it is interesting to read the hot discussions on this mysterious gadget, I got a little urge to say a few words of my unworthy opinion.

Pivot Mega RAIZIN, a reputable Japanese electronic VS, has detailed product description and even its casing is transparent for all to see what ding dong is inside. Warranty by its maker.

All reputable coilover makers (such as TEIN, even our local boy TITAN) detail their product construction and how it work to improve performance. And come with product warranty by its makers.

Comp Turbo, the first compay to make an oil less turbo charger which is a new thing (as far as i know) is not shy to reveal its construction to some details and gives warranty.

Ultra Racing who produces chassis bars, being just some iron bars, gives warranty.

But FireStorm, anyone here and in this world know the original manufacturer and where to claim warranty asides from the sellers/dealers? Yes I will claim from the seller if this gadget fails. Can I claim from the seller if my whole car is burned down due to faulty gadget? My insurance company won't honor the claim because it is a modification. A nearby car being a collateral damage is suing me for damages. Bandaraya is also taking me to court for damaging the traffic light from my burning car. A passerby is also claiming for injury caused by flying debris from my blown car. So I have no one to turn to except the seller who has claimed to provide warranty. Guess in this situation, what would you get from the seller/dealer?

It may be a bit of exaggeration but a proper and truly reliable product should have revealed every necessary and legally bound information to consumer. Even though this gadget is claimed to be so good and powerful yet the maker who is the ultimate responsible party is so afraid and unwilling to reveal itself (for whatever reasons) should make you think not twice but thousands times over before you want t let it inside your car. Until then, we are just the pioneer genie pigs of this mysterious product.

Last edited:

escksu

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Singapore
As it is interesting to read the hot discussions on this mysterious gadget, I got a little urge to say a few words of my unworthy opinion.

Pivot Mega RAIZIN, a reputable Japanese electronic VS, has detailed product description and even its casing is transparent for all to see what ding dong is inside. Warranty by its maker.

All reputable coilover makers (such as TEIN, even our local boy TITAN) detail their product construction and how it work to improve performance. And come with product warranty by its makers.

Comp Turbo, the first compay to make an oil less turbo charger which is a new thing (as far as i know) is not shy to reveal its construction to some details and gives warranty.

Ultra Racing who produces chassis bars, being just some iron bars, gives warranty.

But FireStorm, anyone here and in this world know the original manufacturer and where to claim warranty asides from the sellers/dealers? Yes I will claim from the seller if this gadget fails. Can I claim from the seller if my whole car is burned down due to faulty gadget? My insurance company won't honor the claim because it is a modification. A nearby car being a collateral damage is suing me for damages. Bandaraya is also taking me to court for damaging the traffic light from my burning car. A passerby is also claiming for injury caused by flying debris from my blown car. So I have no one to turn to except the seller who has claimed to provide warranty. Guess in this situation, what would you get from the seller/dealer?

It may be a bit of exaggeration but a proper and truly reliable product should have revealed every necessary and legally bound information to consumer. Even though this gadget is claimed to be so good and powerful yet the maker who is the ultimate responsible party is so afraid and unwilling to reveal itself (for whatever reasons) should make you think not twice but thousands times over before you want t let it inside your car. Until then, we are just the pioneer genie pigs of this mysterious product.
One big problem with all these aftermarket VS, booster etc stuff is they are are mostly very simple electronic devices and many of them use poor quality components but sell at ridiculous price. I am not sure if they could be patented in the first place as well as many designs are not original.

Take VS for eg. Its mostly just capacitors put together into a box. Thats the way to stabilise voltage and reduce ripples. Entire industry is doing it. Not just VS. Power supplies related products all have some form of VS built in to regulate voltage.

Then there is ignition voltage booster. Nothing rocket science (yet to seen one). They are just DC voltage converters. Convert your 12-14V from your alternator and boost it to 16V or higher. Since an ignition coil just a transformer (low to high voltage), a higher primary voltage naturally give a higher secondary voltage. So spark can jump a longer distance and overcome higher resistance. CDI works the same way.

Some are coil boosters which uses capacitors. Connect the capacitors to the primary coil resulting in a higher current supplied to the primary side, so secondary side gets more current and spark becomes more powerful.

Btw, youtube has plenty of video to show pple how to use capacitors and other things to boost ignition.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Although I am not sure how this firestorm work, I am pretty certain its based on those principles. Hence, I do believe the product does work as advertised.

Why I am avoiding it is because of reliability, not performance. I am not sure what is inside, whether product has been extensively tested to ensure reliability even under extreme conditions. Can it work for 100K w/o any issues?

Then I am also uncertain if my other components could match with the booster. Is my coil still operating within specs so it won't fail prematurely? Can I use an aftermarket coil better suited for the booster? Still got spark plugs also.

Another important factor is noise generated. We all know why spark plugs contain a resistor inside. Why spark plug cables are designed in a certain way (material and coiling) and why the cables have resistance even though all these resistance actually weakens the spark itself.

Non-resistor plugs, silver plated solid wire plug cables etc all can increase spark plug, why can't we use them for our car to increase power despite it being able to increase power and perhaps even reduce fuel consumption?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
One big problem with all these aftermarket VS, booster etc stuff is they are are mostly very simple electronic devices and many of them use poor quality components but sell at ridiculous price. I am not sure if they could be patented in the first place as well as many designs are not original.

Take VS for eg. Its mostly just capacitors put together into a box. Thats the way to stabilise voltage and reduce ripples. Entire industry is doing it. Not just VS. Power supplies related products all have some form of VS built in to regulate voltage.

Then there is ignition voltage booster. Nothing rocket science (yet to seen one). They are just DC voltage converters. Convert your 12-14V from your alternator and boost it to 16V or higher. Since an ignition coil just a transformer (low to high voltage), a higher primary voltage naturally give a higher secondary voltage. So spark can jump a longer distance and overcome higher resistance. CDI works the same way.

Some are coil boosters which uses capacitors. Connect the capacitors to the primary coil resulting in a higher current supplied to the primary side, so secondary side gets more current and spark becomes more powerful.

Btw, youtube has plenty of video to show pple how to use capacitors and other things to boost ignition.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Although I am not sure how this firestorm work, I am pretty certain its based on those principles. Hence, I do believe the product does work as advertised.

Why I am avoiding it is because of reliability, not performance. I am not sure what is inside, whether product has been extensively tested to ensure reliability even under extreme conditions. Can it work for 100K w/o any issues?

Then I am also uncertain if my other components could match with the booster. Is my coil still operating within specs so it won't fail prematurely? Can I use an aftermarket coil better suited for the booster? Still got spark plugs also.

Another important factor is noise generated. We all know why spark plugs contain a resistor inside. Why spark plug cables are designed in a certain way (material and coiling) and why the cables have resistance even though all these resistance actually weakens the spark itself.

Non-resistor plugs, silver plated solid wire plug cables etc all can increase spark plug, why can't we use them for our car to increase power despite it being able to increase power and perhaps even reduce fuel consumption?
Err..cable and wires have resistance because they just have it. No cable is free of resistance yet. It's not because they want to.

Sometimes you feel something is so simple but cost so much is because humans will take things for granted. Now that you know how a VS consists of and how it works, it makes no sense to you why it costs so much. Yes the actual cost is low, I agree. But if you are to make one that can perform like a Mega Raizin, are you able to do so? With time, I believe you can but not many people will actually committed to actually do it right. For example, a DVD is only made of plastic, but it did so much wonders to our world. How much does the plastic actually costs?

Reliability and durability on FS, unfortunately only time could tell as there is no test from the maker and they doesn't provide any written first hand information directly at all. The marketing is done by all the dealers n distributors. Since we can't do much bout that, we would like to see how well it works to I prove one's ride. That is why the pages we have created.

One more thing is that I do not understand why did you say that VS doesn't work. Maybe you could elaborate what did you expect from the VS? Coz as far as my noob knowledge goes, a VS is a voltage regulator...just to regulate voltage. You give too much voltage to some certain electronics, burn...the capacitors are not to pump up the voltage...it's to make sure the output voltage is constant by absorbing fluctuating voltage and then discharge constant voltage. The bigger the cap, the more current and voltage it can stores just like a battery.

escksu

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Singapore
Err..cable and wires have resistance because they just have it. No cable is free of resistance yet. It's not because they want to.

Sometimes you feel something is so simple but cost so much is because humans will take things for granted. Now that you know how a VS consists of and how it works, it makes no sense to you why it costs so much. Yes the actual cost is low, I agree. But if you are to make one that can perform like a Mega Raizin, are you able to do so? With time, I believe you can but not many people will actually committed to actually do it right. For example, a DVD is only made of plastic, but it did so much wonders to our world. How much does the plastic actually costs?

Reliability and durability on FS, unfortunately only time could tell as there is no test from the maker and they doesn't provide any written first hand information directly at all. The marketing is done by all the dealers n distributors. Since we can't do much bout that, we would like to see how well it works to I prove one's ride. That is why the pages we have created.

One more thing is that I do not understand why did you say that VS doesn't work. Maybe you could elaborate what did you expect from the VS? Coz as far as my noob knowledge goes, a VS is a voltage regulator...just to regulate voltage. You give too much voltage to some certain electronics, burn...the capacitors are not to pump up the voltage...it's to make sure the output voltage is constant by absorbing fluctuating voltage and then discharge constant voltage. The bigger the cap, the more current and voltage it can stores just like a battery.
Spark plug cables are specially constructed to cut down RFI and EMI generated. The same for spark plugs. This is why they have high resistance.

If you measure a spark plug cable compared to a normal cable, you will find that spark plug cables have much higher resistance. Spark plugs for street use have a 5K ohm resistor as well. This does weaken the spark generated but more importantly reduce RFI and EMI so it does not cause problems to your car's electronics.

I am sure you are also aware of this brand called Nology. They are quite popular for their silver plugs and so-called capacitor cables that improve performance. Unfortunately, their products also caused problems in some cars. This is because their silver plugs do no have a resistor built-in (in order to produce more powerful spark). Then the cables are of shoddy quality as well.

I use Nology before. It works very well right after I installed it. Powerful spark, good acceleration. But after 1+yr, problems appear. I get engine check light at times, car won't start at times. Idling problem. Turns out its the cables, I replace i with the aerospeed cables and problems go away.

After that, I take apart the Nology cable to reveal its construction. Its of rather shoddy quality. A piece of metal braid cover over a ~8mm plug wire to act as capacitor. Thats all. The cables cost me ~RM1K..... Ridiculous money for such cables.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

For VS, I started out not knowing anything. Bought things to try and play, open them up to see the internal construction. You bet I spend alot on VS stuff.

Yes, VS are voltage regulators, they reduce voltage fluctuations (since alternator voltage varies wildly and there is alot of noise). But bigger caps need not be better. You need a mix of big and small caps. Big caps are better suited for low frequency fluctuations, small ones for high frequency. But its very difficult to design one that is suited for car as I do not have proper equipment (need oscilloscope to capture the ripples).

As for why they don't work, well I expect some difference from my butt dyno, but there is nothing. I tried Raizin (the blue one), then hot Inazma MR, Violence VSD. All nothing at all.

Big issue for VS is reliability. You don't know what capacitors they are using inside. Yes, you see the capacitors inside clear plastic. But what capacitors are they using? Engine bay temp is easily 80C, how long can the capacitors operate under the condition? Those caps look awfully like electrolytic capacitors. What I don't like about the caps is they some are rated at 80C only. There are those 105C ones. But problem is they have finite lifespan as electrolyte evaporates over time.

Tantalum caps will work very well under such situations but they are expensive.

Btw, I do have the raizin ignition VS (the red colour one). It has been in my car for 3yrs, so far so good. The Inazma MR is still connected to my batt (though it does nothing other than show me blinking lights). Inazma still ok as I relocate my batt to trunk so temp is not an issue.

Lastly, I am someone who always love to try out new stuff. All these VS, ignition booster stuff interest me greatly. Right now, although I am skeptical about this firestorm, but I am actually itching to try out.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey ppl.....

was just wondering....the new proton saga claim 83 hp on engine but i am sure its less on wheels.... my question is that can we convert the SOHC to DOHC? issit as simple as ading another cam..... ? or can we change it into high cams? how much does it cost to convert?

i also want to know the expected results...like 83hp to xxx HP...? can it be done? thanks u sifu and other brothers..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience