Touge time: Toyota 86 first drive up genting highlands - with on board video

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
8 min from the bottom to the top is fast, 8 min from the mid to the top is SLOOOOW

8 min for a 200k car from the bottom to the top is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, no matter how u put it. My LE can do it and it only cost me 12k. My E30 can do it less than 6 min. If you have worked there before and u drive up almost every week then u know i'm not wrong.
Father of 86, Tesuya Tada says, this car is not about lap times. Its about driving FEEL. You know? That's what you paying for.

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.beastarkaraoke.com.my
Father of 86, Tesuya Tada says, this car is not about lap times. Its about driving FEEL. You know? That's what you paying for.
maybe in japan where cars are cheap, we can all accept this statement but here the cars are expensive and u r paying a premium price that under performs, it is totally unacceptable

talking about feelings, u won't get a GOOD FEEL when u r overtaken by a kancil turbo when u r sitting in the new 86.

driving feel is totally subjective, some ppl can accept a slow car with great handling dynamics, some ppl can't. I personally must have both driving dynamics and speed in one package, one cannot survive without the other. it is totally pointless to have a slow car with great handling, it's like masturbation, u only "feel" it yourself.

Last edited:

keeltha

Known Member
Jan 13, 2011
Selangor
talking about feelings, u won't get a GOOD FEEL when u r overtaken by a kancil turbo when u r sitting in the new 86.
Nah... The car wont be that bad because the chassis/cornering limit is way so much higher than kancil...

It is an entry level car which can allow u to drive on its limit, indirectly train the driving skill as well.

But hell yeah... overprice... :bawling:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
y auto i wonder? :confused:
It's because UMW Toyota wanted us to try out their top-of-the-range 86 before sampling the manual. I should be able to get a feel just 1 day prior to the TIMETOATTACK R2 on the 22nd of this month.

I had follow a 86 when I'm going down hill from genting on one Friday night.
Genting downhill with Toyota 86 - YouTube
that would be someone else I think

If u have 8 minutes to waste, watch this new 86 go up genting, slooooooooowly............

personally, i couldn't be bothered, it's SO DARN BORING
8 min from the bottom to the top is fast, 8 min from the mid to the top is SLOOOOW

8 min for a 200k car from the bottom to the top is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, no matter how u put it. My LE can do it and it only cost me 12k. My E30 can do it less than 6 min. If you have worked there before and u drive up almost every week then u know i'm not wrong.
Can we all not be so quick to judge?

The video was trimmed down and it just so happened it stopped dead on at 8 mins, as trimmed via Youtube Enhancements. Fine it's sort of a timing data but It is never meant to be a statistic for comparison.

Where are the official start / finish points? Okay i guess for GTJ-GH it's typically the last hump at the guardpost. Now where's the Finish? Is there one at all? Coffee Bean? Old Town Coffee? The Peak? I'd rather be safer and use the entry for the last right turn before the Police force hostel (i think). That would mean somewhere in the range of 7:18-7:20. Still not exciting for you I'm sure.

Like I said, This is a FIRST drive and it's not a qualifying lap of any sort. But if one should feel like comparing, then please cut the video, the car and me some slack. Maybe you'd rather a boring video like that not be posted. But look, it's for everyone else. Some people like to take it smooth, some prefer intense action and tyre screeching drama. I'm the first one especially when testing someone else's (UMW's) car. It's easy to tell from the video that the driver (me) hadn't take every single opportunity to maximize the 86 on the straights, in traffic on every single corner. In a perfect scenario, I think the new 86 in manual should do easy mid 6mins.

I generally do about 6:30 in a 2002 MINI Cooper S when i drive up for coffee and cool breeze. This is keeping in mind respect is shown and space is given to other road users around. A stock FD2R should manage low 6 mins. I've been in a 600+ hp 997 GT2 and that did 5:50 at 4am with almost zero-traffic.

Like everyone else, I'd sure like to see footages of you in your E30 doing less than 6 mins. It'll be a highly commendable effort for sure.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Like everyone else, I'd sure like to see footages of you in your E30 doing less than 6 mins. It'll be a highly commendable effort for sure.
And the gloves are off! I'd like to see too.

C'mon people its obvious if you look at the video, the lines and the driving is somewhat relaxed. It's not setting a laptime or anything, just taking a feel of the car, getting acquainted with it.

At UMW Toyota's asking price, for a time attack/lap time machine, the Renault Megane RS would fare much better. Clearly, the 86 is not competing with other cars. Some people just don't understand. They seem to think that the worth of a car is in the lap times. Gee.

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
Tom,are tihis new 86' have the inspiring confident in term of handling as the RX-8?

If it as equal as the RX-8,I wouldnt be bothered by the lack of HP figures.I been tracked my Z33 for quite sometimes(All OEM 04' Ver.S,6spd,bone stock without any mod) & I found out that I really in love with my RX-8 even more despite it was AT.(09' 6AT,bone stock without any mod)

The cornering beyond 120km/h at b-route like Klawang(Since I live nearby,& using the road everyday to go to work) is always tractable & really inspiring.The confident level that the chassis & steering communication make it easy to push the RX-8 around 135 km/h at averange which is good since my Z33 had problem to pass way beyond that especially on tightly-S bend kind of corner,despite having more power to be abused.

The level of confidents is far more important than outright horsepower,since you can never enjoyed the car that only can perform at straight line but only mediocore or not gaining you enough inspiration or confident level needed to push the car even further at cornering.(Just like when I riding a bike,I not really into speed even most of the bike had more than enough capability to do that,but it was the cornering that matter)

If it has the good-going feeling in both communicative steering & chasiss feedback,I would consider this one as the replacement for my Z33.(I still had an amazing feels when driving either my NSX/RX-8 using the b-road when going to take my liltle sister in school,since it just,the level of communicative between the chassis & road are pretty much better than my Z33 even both car had slightly LESS horsepower & TQ number compared to the Z!)

duhill

Known Member
Oct 21, 2005
It is very obvious that the driver in the video did not maximize the power of the 86 la.... E30 in less than 6 mins, you pay the police to clear the traffic? Or only your mouth take less than 6 mins?

An honest timing of my classic Mini Cooper with 1275cc engine took ~10:27-10:30 from last hump at the guardpost to last right turn before the Police force hostel. It is slow but the enjoyment is what matters. When I passed by Starbucks I heard "Wah, this car still can come genting".

For those who blamed your grandpa din't buy the AE86 in 1980s and keep it for you. Now it's your chance to spend RM249K to buy one and keep for your grandchild so that they don't blame you when this car appear in future Initial E.

I love 86 and here's some more photos I found:
Toyota 86

My favorite pic is this one:

pk47

1,000 RPM
Jun 8, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
I personally can tell u 86 is a dam fast car at the corner, after the chase from the down hill and I can tell u this car had a best handling among all model in the current market and none of any car can compare with it, because the new 86 had it own unique handling and it easy to control by entry driver, it can fly at corners with an amateur driver behind the steering wheel. Cheers.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
C'mon people its obvious if you look at the video, the lines and the driving is somewhat relaxed. It's not setting a laptime or anything, just taking a feel of the car, getting acquainted with it.
honestly, that was my intention when i brought the 86 up Genting the first time. I shall await my next outing with a manual 86 to see how a much purer example would fare. i'm confident that'll it'll do a 6:30.

back to the video, again honestly, i can't blame the haters a 100%. it just seems drama-less but that's because it was. At the corners, it was insanely composed. perhaps more than most performance FFs out there including the FD2R. The 86 didn't have the RE070 like the FD2R but imagine if it did.

Tom,are tihis new 86' have the inspiring confident in term of handling as the RX-8?

If it as equal as the RX-8,I wouldnt be bothered by the lack of HP figures.I been tracked my Z33 for quite sometimes(All OEM 04' Ver.S,6spd,bone stock without any mod) & I found out that I really in love with my RX-8 even more despite it was AT.(09' 6AT,bone stock without any mod)

The cornering beyond 120km/h at b-route like Klawang(Since I live nearby,& using the road everyday to go to work) is always tractable & really inspiring.The confident level that the chassis & steering communication make it easy to push the RX-8 around 135 km/h at averange which is good since my Z33 had problem to pass way beyond that especially on tightly-S bend kind of corner,despite having more power to be abused.

The level of confidents is far more important than outright horsepower,since you can never enjoyed the car that only can perform at straight line but only mediocore or not gaining you enough inspiration or confident level needed to push the car even further at cornering.(Just like when I riding a bike,I not really into speed even most of the bike had more than enough capability to do that,but it was the cornering that matter)

If it has the good-going feeling in both communicative steering & chasiss feedback,I would consider this one as the replacement for my Z33.(I still had an amazing feels when driving either my NSX/RX-8 using the b-road when going to take my liltle sister in school,since it just,the level of communicative between the chassis & road are pretty much better than my Z33 even both car had slightly LESS horsepower & TQ number compared to the Z!)
I didn't have much time with the RX-8 but i'd say pretty similar in feel and character. they have almost the same layout and engine position. But because of the RX-8's passenger practicality with the special 4 doors, it would have suffered in body rigidity. Then again, the RX-8 is now a decade old, so the 86 in this current era would have advanced in most aspects, and it certainly translates to driving feel.

You have an NSX?

An honest timing of my classic Mini Cooper with 1275cc engine took ~10:27-10:30 from last hump at the guardpost to last right turn before the Police force hostel. It is slow but the enjoyment is what matters. When I passed by Starbucks I heard "Wah, this car still can come genting".
:adore::adore::adore:

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Just another coupe freshly rolled out from the factory to the market. New car price is ok la compare to other cars. Under perform can be solved by turbo kit right after this or if you can't wait, get 2 gas tanks fitted in the boot. Aftermarket parts will flood in after a while. Looks ugly can buy bodykit. Pay RM20 over K and monthly installment at RM2k+, cannot expect much. If don't like can always buy other car.

I'll not buy cause it is not my cup of tea. CRZ looks better and after the K20A transplant, lightweight wheels, bars, suspension and etc mods, still have plenty money left before reach RM200k :rofl: Want something high end, there is a Maserati selling for less than RM150k. Real world is somehow too crude :rofl::rofl:

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
honestly, that was my intention when i brought the 86 up Genting the first time. I shall await my next outing with a manual 86 to see how a much purer example would fare. i'm confident that'll it'll do a 6:30.

back to the video, again honestly, i can't blame the haters a 100%. it just seems drama-less but that's because it was. At the corners, it was insanely composed. perhaps more than most performance FFs out there including the FD2R. The 86 didn't have the RE070 like the FD2R but imagine if it did.

I didn't have much time with the RX-8 but i'd say pretty similar in feel and character. they have almost the same layout and engine position. But because of the RX-8's passenger practicality with the special 4 doors, it would have suffered in body rigidity. Then again, the RX-8 is now a decade old, so the 86 in this current era would have advanced in most aspects, and it certainly translates to driving feel.

You have an NSX?

:adore::adore::adore:
Thanks for the feedback.The RX8 is very special car since while it not that powerful(what else mine was 6AT) but the level of confidence it bring when you speed up into the corner,you can actually feel the steering really communicative altogether with the chassis,which is always make me amaze with the car.I not a fast driver myself,but I do have a couple of trackday with both 2 wheels & 4 wheels(I started riding performance bike since 17 years old & since then I would going for trackday if my allowance allowed me to do so) & since my first ever RWD sportscar was Z33(Great car,but it lack steering feels & mostly just like many Nissan car,it felt heavier to take the quick S-type turn,& the numb' steering feels doesnt inspired you a confidence to push it more & the car can quickly lose a grip with speed more than 120km/h on the corner as for my trackday experience with bone stock Z33.)

I still think that part of Mazda RX sportscar handle so well might have to do with the rotary engine that was so smooth in higher rev as motorcycle engine & not to mention,the overall dimension are so small for the engine that had 200 plus horses & that contributed to overall lightness & chasiss rigidty as well.(I still,love this car especially when attacking the corner at Klawang b-road behind my house.Handling wise is pretty much like the NSX,but as the NSX is mid engined car & have 2 seat,I still have my big kudos for Mazda engineer for making such an aspiring car that easily built a confidence for its driver to push the car even further.)

Yes,my NSX are rare 91' Grand Prix White.(since 91' in Malaysia is always in red colour or repainted)
& it comes with few rare mod too.But I was thinking for MT conversion with either a JDM short ratio 5spd manual or E61 multi clutch 02+ 6spd but it might be too costly since 02'+ onward are still considered as rare model due to the little production before being ceased)

I slowly on my way of making the NSX back to its original condition.I love a great looking car but I not really keen on having an aftermarket look" on my car as many do.But since the NSX is hard to find,I just need to finish my hunt with a "molested" one like I had now(Luckily previous owner didnt put a widebodykit or else I would be damned to have the car restored!)

Last edited:

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.beastarkaraoke.com.my

It's because UMW Toyota wanted us to try out their top-of-the-range 86 before sampling the manual. I should be able to get a feel just 1 day prior to the TIMETOATTACK R2 on the 22nd of this month.

that would be someone else I think

Can we all not be so quick to judge?

The video was trimmed down and it just so happened it stopped dead on at 8 mins, as trimmed via Youtube Enhancements. Fine it's sort of a timing data but It is never meant to be a statistic for comparison.

Where are the official start / finish points? Okay i guess for GTJ-GH it's typically the last hump at the guardpost. Now where's the Finish? Is there one at all? Coffee Bean? Old Town Coffee? The Peak? I'd rather be safer and use the entry for the last right turn before the Police force hostel (i think). That would mean somewhere in the range of 7:18-7:20. Still not exciting for you I'm sure.

Like I said, This is a FIRST drive and it's not a qualifying lap of any sort. But if one should feel like comparing, then please cut the video, the car and me some slack. Maybe you'd rather a boring video like that not be posted. But look, it's for everyone else. Some people like to take it smooth, some prefer intense action and tyre screeching drama. I'm the first one especially when testing someone else's (UMW's) car. It's easy to tell from the video that the driver (me) hadn't take every single opportunity to maximize the 86 on the straights, in traffic on every single corner. In a perfect scenario, I think the new 86 in manual should do easy mid 6mins.

I generally do about 6:30 in a 2002 MINI Cooper S when i drive up for coffee and cool breeze. This is keeping in mind respect is shown and space is given to other road users around. A stock FD2R should manage low 6 mins. I've been in a 600+ hp 997 GT2 and that did 5:50 at 4am with almost zero-traffic.

wow, suddenly so many ppl post here. i couldn't read all of them, but managed to grab this post (in bold). that says it all. if u know the roads and in midnight with minimum traffic, 6 min or below can be done and has been done many times before, starting point 1st checkpoint right after coming out from Karak highway, end point right after crossing the first bump at Resort Hotel. and fyi my E30 isn't using stock engine.

sorry didn't record anything because I don't have the tools at the time, we did this so often nobody ever thought about doing a video (like I said average once a week going up and down for so many years)

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the feedback.The RX8 is very special car since while it not that powerful(what else mine was 6AT) but the level of confidence it bring when you speed up into the corner,you can actually feel the steering really communicative altogether with the chassis,which is always make me amaze with the car.I not a fast driver myself,but I do have a couple of trackday with both 2 wheels & 4 wheels(I started riding performance bike since 17 years old & since then I would going for trackday if my allowance allowed me to do so) & since my first ever RWD sportscar was Z33(Great car,but it lack steering feels & mostly just like many Nissan car,it felt heavier to take the quick S-type turn,& the numb' steering feels doesnt inspired you a confidence to push it more & the car can quickly lose a grip with speed more than 120km/h on the corner as for my trackday experience with bone stock Z33.)

I still think that part of Mazda RX sportscar handle so well might have to do with the rotary engine that was so smooth in higher rev as motorcycle engine & not to mention,the overall dimension are so small for the engine that had 200 plus horses & that contributed to overall lightness & chasiss rigidty as well.(I still,love this car especially when attacking the corner at Klawang b-road behind my house.Handling wise is pretty much like the NSX,but as the NSX is mid engined car & have 2 seat,I still have my big kudos for Mazda engineer for making such an aspiring car that easily built a confidence for its driver to push the car even further.)

Yes,my NSX are rare 91' Grand Prix White.(since 91' in Malaysia is always in red colour or repainted)
& it comes with few rare mod too.But I was thinking for MT conversion with either a JDM short ratio 5spd manual or E61 multi clutch 02+ 6spd but it might be too costly since 02'+ onward are still considered as rare model due to the little production before being ceased)

I slowly on my way of making the NSX back to its original condition.I love a great looking car but I not really keen on having an aftermarket look" on my car as many do.But since the NSX is hard to find,I just need to finish my hunt with a "molested" one like I had now(Luckily previous owner didnt put a widebodykit or else I would be damned to have the car restored!)
HBS, please do us a favor by getting your own test-drive unit if possible and tell us from a point of view of a RX8/350Z/NSX owner. It'll be quite interesting since you've been living with these pure NA FR base that are all pretty much adequate in power. The 86 could fit well in your garage.

as for your NSX, congrats for owning one of everyone's favorite JDM. some pictures will be nice. we hardly see a stock NSX around

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
HBS, please do us a favor by getting your own test-drive unit if possible and tell us from a point of view of a RX8/350Z/NSX owner. It'll be quite interesting since you've been living with these pure NA FR base that are all pretty much adequate in power. The 86 could fit well in your garage.

as for your NSX, congrats for owning one of everyone's favorite JDM. some pictures will be nice. we hardly see a stock NSX around
Can have the test drive unit from Toyota?
Last time back in 2009,there is a group test of 370Z(6MT) with the others member from ZTH.Love the car.So much improvement inside out,but at last need to slow down,because it would be PITA to take care all those car since I know I wouldnt drive it that much!(I riding almost everyday & even my kancil 660 are for night drive by most of the time...)

As for the NSX,it still with those aftermarket stuff(NSX-R steering wheels,CR-Kai 17/18,GT-xtreme Ti exhaust & some others mod)
The progress of converting back the car into stock factory condition would be a slow progress but I try my best to have it done.(Part hard to get,& for japanese car it is quite expensive...even timing belt also hard to come by :stupid: )

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

What is the max Temperature that this pad can withstand ?

How much is the market price now?

The ride is Suzuki Swift 1.5 the pad is for front brake ~

Thanks =)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience