why JPJ not allow roll cage?

bigboystoys

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
those sponge like thing that they wrap on the rollcage are actually energy-absorbing material, it's purpose is to cushion the impact in the event of accident.. etc etc... when you press it, it actually feels quite hard... ie.. if your car has the padding and you hit your head on it without helmet... you'll feel it also...

rollcage is quite a hindrance to driver's ingress and egress ... if you look at race cars.. on the driver's side, there's more triangulation of tubings to protect the driver against side impact, and on the passenger side, it's more 'unprotected'..
imagine if you install proper rollcage in your car, you'll have to crawl and drag your arse into your car everytime you get in or out...

:)

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
my fren got roll-cage install in his satria..
it is 6 point simple one

not hard getting in n out from the car actually.. :)

bigboystoys

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
that one FIA-homologated rollcage?

a normal car will twist when it's subjected to forces
if you install rollcage, you're stiffening up the car, and with that, the suspension et al has to be upgraded as well, or else the handling will go down the drains

in my opinion, a road car is a road car, shd be left alone... and if wanna install all these fancy stuff.. only do it on a track car... but that's just me

:)

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
there are some kind of foam that they pump it into ur car chasis to stiffen it. some sort like invisible rollcage which advertise in Hypertune...ne way try it before?

mofaab

Known Member
Jan 19, 2005
Rollcage in Action!!!! ;)

This Miata turn 3 and 4 at 70-80mph :blink: . Lucky Driver :rolleyes:

but no cracked widescreen?!?! :blink: Maybe turn in a weird way :ph34r: and the rollcage look too clean <_<

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Race car drivers wear helmets! We don't wear helmets when we drive around town...

Think a bit and see... if accident and u hit your head against the roll cage... use your deepest imagination and picture what can come out of it...

I know some of u guys are thinking can wrap with sponge, this and that... but thats not the point. If its really THAT safe to have roll cage in cars, don't you think it would come as OEM? Roll cage has its ups and downs... there a reason why roll cages aren't OEM in cars.

Anywayz... if we all drive according to law, there would be no major accidents and this kinda topic wouldn't have to be so argumentative. =) HAhahaa....

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
no la....
even if we drive according to the law
still got other that endangour us....
and many chance being hit by other ppl...

i thinking of installing rollcage in my car
and my parents car..

wuzzles

Known Member
Dec 1, 2003
Originally posted by alvin24@Feb 18 2005, 22:07
Race car drivers wear helmets! We don't wear helmets when we drive around town...

Think a bit and see... if accident and u hit your head against the roll cage... use your deepest imagination and picture what can come out of it...

I know some of u guys are thinking can wrap with sponge, this and that... but thats not the point. If its really THAT safe to have roll cage in cars, don't you think it would come as OEM? Roll cage has its ups and downs... there a reason why roll cages aren't OEM in cars.

Anywayz... if we all drive according to law, there would be no major accidents and this kinda topic wouldn't have to be so argumentative. =) HAhahaa....
pls don't get me wrong... but the answer is actually very obvious like alvin has stated and it's this reason alone no stock car in the world (as far as i know) comes with a cage.... the bars will help decrease crumple to the car but will mess you up badly. if you follow motor engineering, the car need to crumple a little so that user inside don't absorb the full blow of force. Try falling on a empty cardboard box and then fill another cardboard box full of newspaper. You will know which one hurts your ass more.

Imagine your head hitting the front mirror during the accident. It will shatter because the transfer of force from your head movement to the glass. If you learn form 4 phsyics will know what i mean.

Now imagine the same scenario when you hit a full metal bar. Hope you get what i mean.

Turn turtle cases are a legitimate point for a cage. But the chances of it happening if you drive carefully is very very minimal. Please don't flame my opinion with "i have a fren who had a fren that drove carefully and his car turned turtle". Accidents will happen.

Just drive carefully, buckle up and remember your love ones... ;)

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Tell me how many ppl out there actually fabricate proper rollcages?
And even so do u have faith in their material and welding skills?
Did u know that a genuine FIA padding is hard like hell? And not soft as most ppl think so?

By having a roll cage doenst necessarily make your car like a tank and is indestructable to all sort of forces u're bound to face in an accident.
If u really want to have a strong rollcage it has to be welded into the chassis and not just a simple bolt on to the chassis.

End of the day why do u want it, is it justifiable to undertake it and worthwhile. Just give some thought to it.

DimDimer

Known Member
Jan 10, 2005
Visit site
padding does no good also wan la.

try running towards a padded wall in sound studio head on. see it hurts or not and the best part is you're only giving out <50% of the force occour during a crash.

those rollcage you see on the road 90% of them are welded bawah pokok wah. where got FIA approved.

saru-kun

Known Member
Jan 4, 2004
PJ
saru-kun.blogspot.com
simple....your head isn't harder than FIA approved steel...or any steel for that matter

plus...your car is going to a bitch to get and out of...

road car is a road car...no amount of compromises are going to get you anywhere near properly prepped up racing machines

cheers

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Hhmm... I kinda like this topic. Lots of valid points. Perhaps JPJ should study and allow roll-cage in certain areas of the car. I'm not sure as I'm not very familiar with race car setups and automotive industry, but maybe some extra strengthening steel / metal in certain parts of the car should be allowed. Of course, those parts would be away from human contact during a crash. Anyway, just wondering about it though. How about... erm.... welding some extra steel / metal inside the door frames, or maybe at the back of the boot area, erm.... or maybe at the feet area... hhmm..... ?
I just feel that it's easier to allow extra protection in cars than to teach those nasty drivers to drive nicely.

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
There is so much a typical monocoque chassis can take in an accident and it's not as easy as welding extra steel all over the chassis. It's another science to it all together.
Take for example u cannot simply seam weld all the joints in the chassis. It might result in the chassis way too stiff and it can start cracking. It has to be a seam/ spot weld in strategic areas. For eg, 1cm seam at the joint, 2cm gap, and then another seam.
Another thing u most allow certain part of the chassis to deform. Many ppl dont realise that they think when say our Wira crash big time. We always think that it's a pariah chassis and blah blah but does anyone realise it's chassis is deforming progressively and the "intergral safety cage" is still intact. Then again u have to consider the chassis is a good 15 years old in design and for it's time i say it is quite a reasonable chassis in ridgidity.
End of the day it's still the driver behind the wheel. Yes there are the freak events that's beyond one's control but half the time, just admit that we as a driver could have avoid pulling a silly stunt that endanger or hurt ourselves. I too and i'm sure everyone out there admit we at times have been plain silly on the road.

If everyone's driving just not on par just drive an X5 lah. Very safe or better still an Abraham Tank.

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
End of the day dont worry, nasty drivers eventually get a taste of their own medicine. Anyone remember the vicious cycle in Lat's cartoons?
Pedestraian gets bullied by a motorbike.
Motorbike gets bullied by a Kancil.
Kancil gets bullied by a Wira.
Wira gets bullied by a Toyota Landcruiser.
Toyota Landcruiser gets bullied by a BAS Mini.
BAS Mini gets bullied by the King of the Road- Big Lorry and Trailer.
King of the road steps out of his truck and the vicious cycle starts all over again.
Tit for tat.

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
if you use a roll cage, must wear helmet coz in a frontal accident you'll hit your head and die.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm looking for Duraedge wipers, any of you know which workshop selling this wiper? Prefer areas like Subang/Sunway/ Shah Alam.

I can't find this wiper around my area. :smile:

Is one of the best wiper around with life time warranty.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience