What's in the OCT after 4 months?

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
unknown1x said:
so.... just wonder... derx, the oct shoul dhave 2 holes or 3 holes now? i am seriously wondering.. sinc.e. most diy oct seems to have 1 extra breather other then the 2 intake and output hole from pcv to manifold? such as the one darth posted.. kindly any advise please?
I don't think the 3rd hole is neccessary with the following reasons.

Firstly, if it's on the PCV side, the filter will give you an enormous vacuum leak - NO GOOD!

Secondly, if it's on the breather side, an OCT is not needed. Just plug the nipple on the ram pipe and add a filter on the engine side.

Lastly, there's a more radical but highly polluting way to install an OCT. Plug both nipples on the air ram and intake manifold. Remove the hose for the PCV valve to disable it. Install an OCT on the breather side, one hole to the cam cover, another hole to a small filter.

In all these three cases, you need only 2 holes.

unknown1x

Known Member
Sep 26, 2006
alright , thanks, verified my curiousity! ^^ done my diy oct already.. ^^ now .. thinking of "beautifying" it ^^

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
drexchan : IF u found a noticable amount of oil in ur OCT, den its either ur piston rings or the valve seals r farked. irratic vacuum reading confirms there r sumthing wrong wit ur engine's internals, i suggest u do a compression test to determine what is wrong. fyi, there isnt suppose to be positive pressure ie air going out to the OCT but actually negative pressure dat sucks air from the OCT.

and fyi, OCT's only function is to collect dis vented oil vapour. iam using a home made stainless steel OCT on my 4efte and no oil is noticable neither in it or in the intercooler pipings, a sign dat my engine is still in good condition, for now..

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
some of the valve seals might be worn out, i am aware of this.

However, if you are not connecting the OCT to the PCV hose, you won't collect any oil.

there isnt suppose to be positive pressure ie air going out to the OCT but actually negative pressure dat sucks air from the OCT.
Yes, negative pressure aka vacuum. From the intake manifold, am I right? This vacuum is what opens the PCV valve and sucks the blow-by out of the crankcase. The oil collected in the OCT is the condensate of the vapour, not the oil. Suck air from the OCT? The where suppose the air is from to replace those in the OCT? The cam cover, through the PCV right?

I have no problem with oil level. Top up once or twice every few thoudsand kilometers.

zeone

May 23, 2006
My DIY fuel filter OCT has collected a little bit of oil condensate after 5 days of city driving...dun think it's too bad tho for a 256k km car, rite?

Pics of oil collected in OCT can be viewed im my forum DIY thread HERE.

Possibly me have2 replace the fuel filter monthly or so. Mayb making an extended fuel filter container body would lengthen the service period?

Last edited:

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
Unless ur really free i dun think the extended fuel filter body thing would be worth it time la zeone.. My Kopitiam! kehkehkehkehkeh :_:

zeone

May 23, 2006
Yup, nitrus, guess u r right! Not worth all time modifying...also gonna cost double, too! 2 Filters in one just to increase capacity. Might as well change to new filter straightaway, right?

And, drexchan, yup to yu too! Fuel filter not expensive...abt RM3-4 each only.

Ok, guys, will take yr advice. Thks!! :)

ps. Guan's contri is very well done!! Very orderly & clear step by step pictorial guide. Mayb compile all such DIY activities in a book for sale?

Last edited:

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
zeone said:
Guan's contri is very well done!! Very orderly & clear step by step pictorial guide. Mayb compile all such DIY activities in a book for sale?
No lar.. we hapily share what we know throught our website. Unlike someone who post something then ask ppl to PM for detail/diagram/etc.

unknown1x

Known Member
Sep 26, 2006
lol can always go to the place that sell car stuff. say.

BOSS! GIVE ME BIGGGEESSTT fuel filter u have!
i dont care for what car! paling besar paling baik! think cost less then RM 10
then save ur problem.. hahah

alvin2002_my

Known Member
Oct 17, 2006
hey guyz, need some help and suggestions from u all... im noob on engine compartment..
im interested in DIY the OCT.. but the problem is.. i have a MC on my engine.. is it possible that i install the OCT on it without taking off my MC?

p/s: im driving ISWARA sedan 1.5..

unknown1x

Known Member
Sep 26, 2006
possible, since oct dont do anything much that affect your vaccume.. add another point to connect your oct from your engine.. so. its gonna be like...
engine to oct-then out to a t-joint which consist of your mc and manifold..

i planing to diy a oct+ mc together into 1 package, now looking for suitable part
s..

mokomoko

500 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
My OCT

Installed my OCT (courtesy of unknown1x's afternoon effort building the tank) in my engine bay recently.
Been running it for about 6 days already. Waiting for at least 2 weeks before i check if there is oil catched in it.

Drex, Did i install the OCT in the right place?

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
My OCT was half full after almost a year of not bothering with it. It was so bad it was leaking out of the gauge.

Drex - teach me how you sealed the gauge on your OCT