What is minimum amp(watt) should i use?

MomoCorse

Known Member
Sep 2, 2005
Putrajaya
Hi guys,

need a little help here to choose an amp. I want to connect my player to front (300w each) speaker and rear speaker (500w 4 way speaker). What kind of amp should and best use?

Thanx a lot for any kind of help.

mnkh0027

Known Member
Jan 14, 2004
Pj, Selangor
www.audio-creations.com
MomoCorse said:
Hi guys,

need a little help here to choose an amp. I want to connect my player to front (300w each) speaker and rear speaker (500w 4 way speaker). What kind of amp should and best use?

Thanx a lot for any kind of help.
You are probably looking at the MAX (PMPO - peak music power output) ratings of the speaker. Do look for the Continuous (RMS) rating and let us know, or alternatively tell us what speakers are those. Roughly, your speakers are about 30w RMS and 50w RMS... so, a 4-channel amplifier with 50w-80w per channel shoud be sufficient.

MomoCorse

Known Member
Sep 2, 2005
Putrajaya
Thanx a lot mnkh0027. But I still not very clear about the RMS. what actually is it?what brand should i use (tgk budget jugakla dlm 200-300)?i dont really care about the brand as long it can bring good quality audio and worth to buy.

Thanx.

mnkh0027

Known Member
Jan 14, 2004
Pj, Selangor
www.audio-creations.com
MomoCorse said:
Thanx a lot mnkh0027. But I still not very clear about the RMS. what actually is it?what brand should i use (tgk budget jugakla dlm 200-300)?i dont really care about the brand as long it can bring good quality audio and worth to buy.

Thanx.
Do a google search on RMS and read about it. In short, we look at RMS power rating because it's the continuous power the amplifier is able to supply to your speakers.

The peak rating is just the maximum power the amp can give you at a burst (or when the amp clips) or if you're looking at speakers, the short term power the speaker can take without damaging. Usually, if your speakers are rated at 50w RMS, 150w peak, you will try to purchase an amplifier within the range of both power ratings and usually not above unless you know what you are doing.

MomoCorse

Known Member
Sep 2, 2005
Putrajaya
what do u mean is that i should find an amp that between the RMS and max power ratings?ok then.. thanx a lot for the info dude...

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
The idea is to match your amp and speakers.

If your speakers is 50W RMS, then get a 50W RMS per channel amp.
Some speakers also has an amp RMS recommendation to be used with the speaker in the manual.

However, if you plan to upgrade your speakers later, get a more powerful amp. Just make sure you DO NOT push your speaker more than what they can handle.

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
since he is looking at max power, then just look for amp with similar max power la, more is better, whatever suits your budget. forget about good sound for the moment, ada sound enuff la....

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
The idea to refer to your PMPO is also logical. However, even though the PMPO might be the same, the RMS, I think will not be the same value. Correct me i I'm wrong. Still newbie ma... :)

takumi86

Known Member
Dec 8, 2004
Puchong
my frien told me that some amp got the cut off to prevent over heat.
soo need add on PC fan or something to reduce the heat..
eg: in 4 hours driving, u can listen music wiz the amp on around 1 hour..
then need to turn off engine to activate the amp back....
any comment on this!??!.. ;)

mnkh0027

Known Member
Jan 14, 2004
Pj, Selangor
www.audio-creations.com
cacin said:
The idea to refer to your PMPO is also logical. However, even though the PMPO might be the same, the RMS, I think will not be the same value. Correct me i I'm wrong. Still newbie ma... :)
You're right also abt RMS not being the same. It depends on many factors like the efficiency of the amp due to losses in heat, the amount of clean power supply from the charging system to the amp etc. Therefore, its very important to make sure the charging system is healthy and the amps are properly ventilated to get the most out of the amp.

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
MomoCorse said:
what do u mean is that i should find an amp that between the RMS and max power ratings?ok then.. thanx a lot for the info dude...

PMPO I think is the amp or speaker that goes to maximum for a very short time. Normally the cheaper range amps will show 700watt, but this is the max power, the RMS might be 100 to 200 only. But for US amps like Rockford Fosgate and LA, they normally will put the RMS power on their amp model. If you use an amp with power more than the speaker, then the speaker might blow if you push too hard, on the other way than the amp might overload and cause it to cut off. Nowadays all the amps got this protection. So if you encounter this problem try to turn down the volume or change a better amp....