what to ask about speaker box

wsonny

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Ampang
I have a pair of 10" woofer boxes at my perdana boot. and i planning to make a custom speaker box separate on my left n right side of the boot. Does it make different sound and what is the cost of doing a custom box?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have a pair of 10" woofer boxes at my perdana boot. and i planning to make a custom speaker box separate on my left n right side of the boot. Does it make different sound and what is the cost of doing a custom box?
Free air subs? Were they hanging on the rear parcel shelf or in a box? Depending on the specifications of the sub, making a custom box at the side may or may not make it sound good. Look good yes - sound good depends on the sub specs. Most 10" subs work best with 0.8 or 1cuft sized boxes. If that mould is spec-ed to that approximate size then yes - it'll probably sound good.

Free air subs use your entire boot as the box, shrinking it to smaller box might have a difference in sound. I can't tell you what sort of difference though since I don't know what subs you have. I probably haven't heard them before either so I wouldn't be able to tell even if I did know.

As for cost, depends on the shop and their handiwork. These custom fibre boxes can cost anywhere from RM500 to RM1000.

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Free air subs? Were they hanging on the rear parcel shelf or in a box? Depending on the specifications of the sub, making a custom box at the side may or may not make it sound good. Look good yes - sound good depends on the sub specs. Most 10" subs work best with 0.8 or 1cuft sized boxes. If that mould is spec-ed to that approximate size then yes - it'll probably sound good.

Free air subs use your entire boot as the box, shrinking it to smaller box might have a difference in sound. I can't tell you what sort of difference though since I don't know what subs you have. I probably haven't heard them before either so I wouldn't be able to tell even if I did know.

As for cost, depends on the shop and their handiwork. These custom fibre boxes can cost anywhere from RM500 to RM1000.
not free air subwoofer..

he has a pair in a box..
he want to separated into 2 smaller boxes that could fit at each side of his perdana boot..

cost depends on the subwoofer requirement...sealed, port, size...I dont know, depends on your subwoofer....

i did my 10' shallow box for RM300 at fancy audio..
more if the shape are not 'box'..

as for the sound quality, I dont know...heard that two subwoofer facing each other will cancel out the sound..need pro advice here...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Theoretically it will sound different and should be better but by how much not sure. Because when 2 subs in 1 box then there's some impact/cancellation between the 2 subs as they expand and compress the same air space inside the 1 box. If they're in separate box then they will working individually which should be more ideal.

Now if you put them face to face direction then may also have negative impact on the sound even though the boxes are already separated.

Another idea that you may consider is actually having them still in 1 box but the box is partitioned in the middle (or like joining 2 boxes into 1), but again not sure how different will it be from your current 1 box.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
OH.. in that case it'll sound different for sure. And I'm not sure how you're going to separate the subs since they are probably wired together and powered by one amp.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
OH.. in that case it'll sound different for sure. And I'm not sure how you're going to separate the subs since they are probably wired together and powered by one amp.
Should be able just to replicate the same wiring schema if split into 2 boxes (either parallel or series).

wsonny

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Ampang
ok thks for all the advise... i do more study n research 1st b4 starting the work

wsonny

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Ampang
The reason is I try to clear my boot space. N remain the sound system.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
izzo, actually i would like to hear your set up. as i have just gone from a bigger car to a smaller car im thinking of subwoofer options. putting a regular passive 10 in woofer in a small car takes up loads of space. i have been looking around for an active sub but am not convinced of its ability. so i would like to hear your sound system if you dont mind. fyi im not looking for big boom, want clear bass with some punch.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
izzo, actually i would like to hear your set up. as i have just gone from a bigger car to a smaller car im thinking of subwoofer options. putting a regular passive 10 in woofer in a small car takes up loads of space. i have been looking around for an active sub but am not convinced of its ability. so i would like to hear your sound system if you dont mind. fyi im not looking for big boom, want clear bass with some punch.
The HU also plays a part in the sound reproduction. In my VR, with the same setup of component in front, 6 x 9 rear with a small hanging sub, I tried 3 HU and all give different sound. My current one has the best bass, my earlier model more clarity, which is now in my Hyundai....:biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Arrange a time and I'll bring my Myvi along.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

whuttup people....I need some help..after reading abt the awesome sunway treatment of its
customers,i m not too sure if i am gonna go there..any other good place?..planning to install a subaru-impreza - Ibberdesign...thx 4 your advice

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

i didnt mention it was to install front and rear bumpers...not really liking the DAMD front bumper after putting it on it looks like...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience