Weird substance inside radiator

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Bro, left the radiator cap open. Start engine, let it idle.
See what come out. If you try d. Then is OK.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
See what ooze out. But not too long, later tembak out pulak. Careful.
Like suggested, do full flush again.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
See what ooze out. But not too long, later tembak out pulak. Careful.
Like suggested, do full flush again.
I'll monitor the temperature again on long distance drive from now on. See if the temperature rises up a lot or not. Might visit my mechanic 2 or 3 weeks later. Currently he is moving into a new place, so I don't want to bother him for now. For the past 3 weeks, I've been visiting him weekly. First it was because one of the bolts at my alternator is loose, second is to flush the radiator and last week is because my radiator drain plug was leaking droplets.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Nope. Just checking water level and sometimes adding in pipe water. But those are not rust residue? Last week, I actually found one of these stuff shaped like a small rock. When I try to rub it with fingers, it feels dusty and crumbles a bit.

DIY like this?

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=387409
That might be dirt coming from your tap water or your hose. Sometimes old hose can contain moss inside it or in the nozzle spray, then when you fill up with that hose it gets into your cooling system.

Yup, DIY just like that only, simple enough right?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
mine was also all rust and gunk when i first got my car... had to flush 5-6 times before it got much clearer (heck even now its slightly brownish)

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
That might be dirt coming from your tap water or your hose. Sometimes old hose can contain moss inside it or in the nozzle spray, then when you fill up with that hose it gets into your cooling system.

Yup, DIY just like that only, simple enough right?
But for dirt coming from tap to reach this amount is ridiculous. I just added a little amount of water all these while. Someone told me it could be oil but what oil can it be. My engine oil is not leaking anywhere as far as I know.

Looks simple except the removal of thermostat. But I have heard of an easier method from VR2. He said just remove the hot water return hose from the radiator. Start the car and put the water hose into the radiator to fill it up. Continue letting the hot water flows out from the engine until the water looks clean.

mine was also all rust and gunk when i first got my car... had to flush 5-6 times before it got much clearer (heck even now its slightly brownish)
Did you flush out the water jackets inside the block? Or just the radiator itself?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
But for dirt coming from tap to reach this amount is ridiculous. I just added a little amount of water all these while. Someone told me it could be oil but what oil can it be. My engine oil is not leaking anywhere as far as I know.

Looks simple except the removal of thermostat. But I have heard of an easier method from VR2. He said just remove the hot water return hose from the radiator. Start the car and put the water hose into the radiator to fill it up. Continue letting the hot water flows out from the engine until the water looks clean.

Did you flush out the water jackets inside the block? Or just the radiator itself?
radiator flush was done looong ago by a mechanic
then later on i wanted to flush everything out BUT i kind of did it the lazy way??
basically
1)drain the radiator,
2)fill up,
3)started car (get it warmish)
4)flushed again (get fingers burnt)
56789...)repeated several times on one weekend then repeated everything again a week later just cause i had time....

I only used coolant on the last fill tho... running one week on water 'should' have been alright..
(now i think about it, it might have been a stupid way, removing the thermostat to properly flush everything would have probably been faster:banghead:)

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Maybe should do a reflush on the engine itself too. The reflush I did was just on the radiator itself. Din't clean the engine as my mechanic say it will take some time and won't be very cheap. Told me to flush the radiator first and see how it goes.

Din't check the thermostat.
Your mechanic bull shit you loh! Like bro. 6UE5t mentioned can easily DIY. I always do for my VR and Sonata.
Just remove the top hose coming out from the engine to radiator. Start engine and let it run. When warm and thermostat opens water will flow out, just keep filling from radiator cap. Flush until clear clean water comes out. Attached back hose, refill add coolant and you are done.

If want faster water flow remove thermostat like what bro. Izso showed but for me is too much trouble, since my cars are old I also scare break the gasket, so I just let it warm up to open the thermostat....lol

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Just saw your post, yup, as I mentioned again above......lol:rofl:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
then later on i wanted to flush everything out BUT i kind of did it the lazy way??
basically
1)drain the radiator,
2)fill up,
56789...)repeated several times on one weekend then repeated everything again a week later just cause i had time....

I only used coolant on the last fill tho... running one week on water 'should' have been alright..
(now i think about it, it might have been a stupid way, removing the thermostat to properly flush everything would have probably been faster:banghead:)
This way you flush radiator only, then mix clean water with whatever balance in the block. Flushing a few times just this way just thin down the dirt that is in the system and not completely clean.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
This way you flush radiator only, then mix clean water with whatever balance in the block. Flushing a few times just this way just thin down the dirt that is in the system and not completely clean.
yup... its not 100% clean, deswai still brownish(but oddly, radiator cap fluid looks good, only the resevour looks brownish).... but compared to when i got it, bolehlah.... next flush will probably repeat~

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
basically
1)drain the radiator,
2)fill up,

How is your radiator coolant now? You mentioned that it looks dirty but has it ever caused problems for you like overheating or something?

Your mechanic bull shit you loh! Like bro. 6UE5t mentioned can easily DIY. I always do for my VR and Sonata.
Just remove the top hose coming out from the engine to radiator. Start engine and let it run. When warm and thermostat opens water will flow out, just keep filling from radiator cap. Flush until clear clean water comes out. Attached back hose, refill add coolant and you are done.

If want faster water flow remove thermostat like what bro. Izso showed but for me is too much trouble, since my cars are old I also scare break the gasket, so I just let it warm up to open the thermostat....lol

Okay, will try to do it again if I notice the temperature rise up badly or when I found more of these substances. Your method seems way easier than Izso method.

Just saw your post, yup, as I mentioned again above......lol:rofl:
I read about it before in your old posts 2 weeks ago while searching for radiator flushing threads.

Just now at 9am, I opened the radiator cap again to see if those dirty substances are around. Surprisingly, everything looks clean and none of them are present even at the cap. I put my finger inside and nothing is dirty at all. This is very weird. It was there yesterday afternoon (when I took the pictures) before I drove 40km back to my house. Yesterday after cooling the engine down at home, those substances are not there either. :hmmmm:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yes, I actually did like bro VR2, very simple, but do like bro Izso also good if you want to check your thermostat at once.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
How is your radiator coolant now? You mentioned that it looks dirty but has it ever caused problems for you like overheating or something?
dirty-ish, but nah no issues. Been in jams, kl-cameron highlands and back all no issues... my oil temp maxes out at 95 (which is accordingly alittle low infact) water temp never passes 40+% (in my case over 50% is hot)

now about that stuff.... why not just leave over a weekend then check....

*you asked about opening the cap with the engine running, well there should be no bubbles, you will see the water swirling about one the thermostat opens but be careful... you might notice that the water level rises quite abit as it warms up.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi does rr engine fit honda city 2009 body???

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

i wan some power in my car but i dunno wat should i do , can give any advice , sum1 tell me rr fit but sum say dun fit , sumore rr engine expensive, any cheaper way??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience