Vafc

daniel b16

Known Member
May 3, 2005
Wat Cams Can Be Tuned Using Vafc1? Wats The Max Cams U Can Go? And Can U Tune Vtec Turbo Using It?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Everything also can.. but for boost, better go with something that can reference boost levels directly than something that cheats the ECU into not 'seeing' boost.

VAFC one is for very standard setups only.. some people say can tune for cams, some people say no.

I say if you're going to play with it, VAFC is a nice option. If you're going to get it tuned, get a better management unit/piggyback.

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
I think you need to read more about piggybacks/ems, camshafts application and the relationship between them. Its all about personal picks and personal budget at the end of the day. There are no best and right setup.

to answer your question generally :
Wat Cams Can Be Tuned Using Vafc1? - CTR also can, Toda C also can

Wats The Max Cams U Can Go? - As long your tuned ECU supports the MAX chosen camshafts, the piggyback will always be working for calibration purposes. I have seen Toda Killer Cams with piggyback and good tuned ecu. So it works.

And Can U Tune Vtec Turbo Using It? - As long your ECU supports boost like a chipped Hondata S200(but then again when u have hondata, no need piggyback) or a LPT setup with chipped ECU that supports low boost say below 0.6bar.

A lot of readouts on the net.

daniel b16

Known Member
May 3, 2005
yeah problem is im gona use my stock b16a2 ecu and use this piggyback to tune it, so i was juz wondering if i cud actually include cams in as well before tuning, but if cant then might as well dont waste money and juz leave it as it is.

ive herd that u can tune ctr and toda a cams etc?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Yup, J101 is right.. everything also can.

But for boost, I still say stick with something that can reference boost directly, rather than a workaround that cheats the map into not seeing boost. It's something to do with the load indices, and how fuelling is affected by load (which indirectly is refereced by the MAP sensor. I simply cannot see how a system that cheats the MAP can handle this in a reasonable manner.. Of course, there's always the option of overfuelling or more retard. Imagine having the same fuelling and ignition regardless of load zones on the ign. and fuel map, and you can see what I mean.

Of course, if anyone can enlighten me on this, I'd like to hear how it's done as well.

Anyway, all piggybacks and various management works, and all have their limits.. but overall, it depends on the tuner, and how familiar he is with a particular system.

As for cams.. what is a 'MAX' cam?

a) A cam with such a high lift that it doesn't clear the cam braces? :P
One engine builder showed me one such cam last week.
Formula for calculating max lift (without having the cam spec sheet)
Max lift = lobe height * (middle, not the pri/sec) rocker arm ratio :P
Where is the rocker arm ratios listed? Check BC's website.

b) Super high duration that makes your car idle like a wheezing asthma patient?
Hmm.. 290 is big.. so naturally 305 is bigger!, and better!
Stock R cams advertised duration = 29x. (Wow!) Actual duration = 24x (WTF?)
Toda C2 advertised = 30x (forgot actual number) Actual duration = 260 (Wow!)

c) A cam with the 'MAX' brand stamped on the ends of the cam? :P

Unfortunately, gaining performance is never so straightforward.. (>.<)

udengfahlawi

1,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2004
putrajaya
Visit site
i think apexi has stop production of vafc and safc....they gonna be obsolete oledi soon...all taken over by the Neo....i see not many stock left in sunway....

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
daniel b16,
the word "tune" in your scenario would be, if the piggyback is sufficient to accomodate the fueling of the upgrade, say the camshafts, and wont need anything else to add on top of the mods? right? so what cams are you planning to install in your stock engine actually?

shiroi,
the cheapest trick to fool the map is get the missing link kit by Synapse.
SAVE on Synapse Missing Link - RacingWorks.com - Turbocharged Honda, Acura, Dodge, Chrysler, Eagle & Mitsubishi Map Sensor Check Engine Light Fix since the stock ecu will show check error light anything more than 0.6bar, this toy actually helps you to boost higher as the reading is more now. one of the best toy ever made for LPT

udeng,
i believe what u said its true. the NEO would be the in-thing now.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
daniel b16,
shiroi,
the cheapest trick to fool the map is get the missing link kit by Synapse.
SAVE on Synapse Missing Link - RacingWorks.com - Turbocharged Honda, Acura, Dodge, Chrysler, Eagle & Mitsubishi Map Sensor Check Engine Light Fix since the stock ecu will show check error light anything more than 0.6bar, this toy actually helps you to boost higher as the reading is more now. one of the best toy ever made for LPT
Exactly what I was talking about.. the map sensor determines the load zones, and yet this thing cheats the MAP into not 'seeing' boost.

For very LPT, maybe... but if you're going turbo, LPT won't be enough.. :P

As for the Neo, same thing as the previous V/SAFCs, except with COLOUR SCREEN, and SQUARER box.. :P

daniel b16

Known Member
May 3, 2005
the word "tune" in your scenario would be, if the piggyback is sufficient to accomodate the fueling of the upgrade, say the camshafts, and wont need anything else to add on top of the mods? right? so what cams are you planning to install in your stock engine actually?

yeapss excatly wat i meant, im tryin to find out if it can fully use a type r camshaft or a spec c or cant really maximise a spec c so for wat i buy a spec c if i cant maximise its use with a vafc, i might as well juz get spec a or juz b18cr cams for my b16a....so im kinda confused...the turbo thing i found the website for it as well...very good....so im kinda leaning towards b18cr cams

do i need to change the valve spring and retainers as well or juz the cams and b16a retainers and valve springs sufficient?

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
1. If you plan to use the ITR cams bolt-on alone in your B16A engine its fine. as long you stick to your REV LIMIT with the stock B16A valve terrain. CTR and ITR cams do not make anymore power after that, only the sound from your exhaust sound like powderful.

2. If you plan to rev higher on top of that, it would be appropriate to have the type-r valve terrain complete (retainers + dual valve springs).

Note :
CTR are not the same as the 97-99 ITR cams. (the exhaust side is the same)
CTR are the same as the 00-01 ITR cams. Type-R springs will bind at 12mm. Though max tolerance of the springs can rev till 9100, but its not available to do so on a stock engine.

Have a good weekend.

yeapss excatly wat i meant, im tryin to find out if it can fully use a type r camshaft or a spec c or cant really maximise a spec c so for wat i buy a spec c if i cant maximise its use with a vafc, i might as well juz get spec a or juz b18cr cams for my b16a....so im kinda confused.....so im kinda leaning towards b18cr cams

do i need to change the valve spring and retainers as well or juz the cams and b16a retainers and valve springs sufficient?

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Today I changed my spark plugs, i use Bosch Platinium Plugs,:confused::confused:

One or two of the old plugs i changed has got carbon deposits on them...

Can anyone with experience or anyone has opinion on this?

What could be the reason?

What should i do?:confused:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience