field vs VAFC

alex27

Known Member
Sep 30, 2006
wana know ur opinion about Field vs VAFC.Which do u think is the better choice??
i know that VAFC is hard to tune compare to Field--tough decision.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
I think by functionality, both are the same, although the small screen of the fields SFC will hinder tuning when using it the first time, without any help from a manual.

The VAFC has slightly more features, but if you can get a field SFC on the cheap, and have access to it's manual, why not?

If ranking tunability, I don't think either is difficult, because you're only modifying the original fuel values, which on stock setups, doesn't vary that greatly. Another thing is, on stock engines, when in doubt, just reset everything to zero, and you car will still run.. :P

However, honda ECU's closed loop systems will correct any minor discrepancies, and you might find that you need a retune after a while. It's just how it is, though it won't be detrimental to the health of the engine, just some very slight power losses, I think.

Do note that majority of people suffering from problems using VAFC or Field's SFC usually comes from wiring, either loose connections or something, I advocate the use of a intermediate harness that you can splice the SFC/VAFC into, so you don't need to butcher the original wiring, and when you need to remove it for what ever reason, all it takes it just unplugging it from the ECU, something you'd appreciate if the unit dies (rare case), or something.

Last edited:

Shoken7

Known Member
Oct 15, 2006
a noob question
might not be related to this thread
but

which one comes first?
peformance part like toda high cam + port polish etc
only install ECU

or ECU then other parts?

someone told me that ECU should come last

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Depends on who's doing the tuning..

If you can do it yourself.. then ECU can come first.

If not, you'd be paying for a retune each time you add a performance part.

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
The engine management system should always come first by all means. Then you have the precision power to tune anything that is being installed later.

a noob question
might not be related to this thread
but

which one comes first?
peformance part like toda high cam + port polish etc
only install ECU

or ECU then other parts?

someone told me that ECU should come last

Shoken7

Known Member
Oct 15, 2006
i see
i saw those in enos
VAFC apexi and defi ones..which one is more worthy?
apexi costs like 1400-1600 , defi 1100+
they have the same functions too i suppose?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

You have probably heard this story before about BMW working on a M-badged variant of the 1-Series. In fact it's been going on for years, we've seen spy shots and videos alleging to be that of the M-badged 1-Series, but nothing has been official, till now.

In an interview with German webzine "Auto-News", BMW M GmbH's Managing Director Dr. Kay Segler for the first time officially acknowledged the Bavarian...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience