Unichip Q Failed

navin77

Feb 28, 2011
Ipoh
I will not recommend this Unichip Version Q to be installed in any car . Mine is a honda civic FD 1.8 yr 2009. I bought the ECU brand new at Ipoh Zero Four Racing dealer and it costs me around RM2500 including dyno . The increase in hp was about 10% and I couldnt see the significant difference before and after installation. Using it for 1 yr and out of a sudden while driving in city at speed 50-60 km/h the entire car system gone blackout (like computer blackout) and the engine stalled and lucky i wasn't hit by any car at the back due to sudden slowing down . I manage to get the car rolling to road side and after trying few times the engine came to live but the rpm idling was to low and fluctuating and check engine light came out . I took the car back to Zero Four Racing for diagnose and they told me the sudden engine stall is due to the Unichip and it has spoilt , further its not covered under warranty and also not repairable. What a waste of money RM2500 gone in just a year.
I'm wondering what could have happened if the engine stall happened while I was going at 160km/h on highway ? Definetly it could have been a major disaster . If you love your car don't install this .
IMG_5258.jpg

Last edited:

navin77

Feb 28, 2011
Ipoh
did you go back to the guy who installed it and tuned it for you? Was the Unichip new?
Yes I did took it back in fact they (Zero Four Racing Ipoh) who diagnosed and replied that the Unichip has failed and caused the engine to stall abruptly , the Unichip sadly not repairable . Honda Malaysia refused to open my bonnet because the car has been installed with after market product especially the ECU. It’s a brand new Unichip .

Last edited:

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
I think any cars installed with any aftermarket ecu are at risk of having this issue. Most have no issues fortunately, but with all electronic stuff, there will be failures. Its not 100%.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Unlucky, Unichip supposedly pretty decent piggy back. But I never prefer piggy back, better direct remap if can, cheaper and more reliable.

navin77

Feb 28, 2011
Ipoh
Unlucky, Unichip supposedly pretty decent piggy back. But I never prefer piggy back, better direct remap if can, cheaper and more reliable.
Actually I would say I’m lucky the failure happened while cruising at low speed and it didn’t lead to any accident . I Can’t imagine the consequences if I was cruising at 110 or more on highway .

navin77

Feb 28, 2011
Ipoh
I think any cars installed with any aftermarket ecu are at risk of having this issue. Most have no issues fortunately, but with all electronic stuff, there will be failures. Its not 100%.
It’s a risk not worth taking

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yes I did took it back in fact they (Zero Four Racing Ipoh) who diagnosed and replied that the Unichip has failed and caused the engine to stall abruptly , the Unichip sadly not repairable . Honda Malaysia refused to open my bonnet because the car has been installed with after market product especially the ECU. It’s a brand new Unichip .
If it failed after a year I suspect either the thing wasn't installed properly (like poor ground or something) or wasn't suitable for your car. I've got multiple friends using Unichip and still going strong after 3-4 years and multiple battery changes.

You so busy, never read his full story.....hahhahahhaha
Oops... hahaha

navin77

Feb 28, 2011
Ipoh
If it failed after a year I suspect either the thing wasn't installed properly (like poor ground or something) or wasn't suitable for your car. I've got multiple friends using Unichip and still going strong after 3-4 years and multiple battery changes.

Oops... hahaha
If the module was not fitted properly ex: wrong wiring (signal or ground ) or connection socket failure than it should have failed to establish a connection with software (dyno failure) in the first place .
Let’s say the module connection socket or signal wiring wear off over a time period and caused a short circuit than I believe the original Honda ECU wiring may have effected and my original ECU module may also failed when I rejoined it back , because the Unichip was tapped from the original ECU wiring right ? Correct me if I’m wrong in this

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If the module was not fitted properly ex: wrong wiring (signal or ground ) or connection socket failure than it should have failed to establish a connection with software (dyno failure) in the first place .
Let’s say the module connection socket or signal wiring wear off over a time period and caused a short circuit than I believe the original Honda ECU wiring may have effected and my original ECU module may also failed when I rejoined it back , because the Unichip was tapped from the original ECU wiring right ? Correct me if I’m wrong in this
The other possibility is your car wasn't compatible with the Unichip.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i need some simple tuning for my carburetter engine

anyone here can help or provide tuning ?

my budget is around rm400 max
quite low ,
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience