Type R Gearbox Syncro problem...Any advice?

cad843

Known Member
Mar 23, 2005
Oita Ken
so,wat haf u ordered frm Japan?not available here or price difference too much?care 2 share?
Few of new gb parts only, I dunno whether not available here or not but the price of coz a bit higher la but confirm new and ori including clutch set. As u said, it depends on pockets, so I order parts when $$ enough lerr. When all parts buyed already, will ship 1 shot

zhaf_b16

Known Member
Aug 9, 2006
okay so here's my story about the redline lsd gbox oil (also called the blue gel one right?).

before this, i was using a 4.7 type R gearbox. got crunching sounds during high rev. so a friend of me recommend me to use the redline oil. after a few days of break in, yeah, the crunching sounds was gone. but then maybe it is my mistake of using it more than 10,000kms, the gbox is starting to make the crunching sound again.

okay then i change to 4.4 eg6 gbox. pour in new redline gbox oil and everything was working good. but after three days, suddenly the gbox made the crunching sound. and now suddenly i heard people are saying that the oil is no good. so then i change to lucas, but guess what, now not only high rev, low rev also dia crunch. i can say that for the time being i'm so fed up with gbox issues. i really really really miss my eg6 old gbox that was originally equipped to the car. it was a mistake changing it to dc2 4.7 gbox when it doesn't give me any headache.

Last edited:

ferio94eg9

Known Member
Jul 12, 2007
okay so here's my story about the redline lsd gbox oil (also called the blue gel one right?).

before this, i was using a 4.7 type R gearbox. got crunching sounds during high rev. so a friend of me recommend me to use the redline oil. after a few days of break in, yeah, the crunching sounds was gone. but then maybe it is my mistake of using it more than 10,000kms, the gbox is starting to make the crunching sound again.

okay then i change to 4.4 eg6 gbox. pour in new redline gbox oil and everything was working good. but after three days, suddenly the gbox made the crunching sound. and now suddenly i heard people are saying that the oil is no good. so then i change to lucas, but guess what, now not only high rev, low rev also dia crunch. i can say that for the time being i'm so fed up with gbox issues. i really really really miss my eg6 old gbox that was originally equipped to the car. it was a mistake changing it to dc2 4.7 gbox when it doesn't give me any headache.
mind sharing the crunching sounds during hirev is at which gear? 2 to 3, 3-4.... before u had the problem with the crunching sound, did u had any miss gear that may lead to the crunching sounds? anyway, what is the status of your GB now?

zNiPeR

Known Member
May 23, 2006
experienced this myself: 2nd to 3rd gear got crunching sound, initially during high revs and soon after that even in low revs oso got crunching sound(was on motul 90 PA LSD oil).....then open the gearbox for inspection found out it was a synchro problem....bcoz i'm to poor to buy new synchros:banghead:, my mech offered to clean every single parts inside the gearbox and pour a fresh redline's lightweight shockproof LSD oil....walla! no more crunching sound even during high revs!

the downside is, it's quite difficult to engage 1st or reverse gear early in the morning, so my opinion is; allow the oil to warm up first before shifting during high revs (jgn test machine lps kuar dr umah:driver:)....bcoz visually u can see how thick is the gear oil if u compared with other type of gear oil...it may need some warming up before the suitable viscosity is achieved.....

ferio94eg9

Known Member
Jul 12, 2007
experienced this myself: 2nd to 3rd gear got crunching sound, initially during high revs and soon after that even in low revs oso got crunching sound(was on motul 90 PA LSD oil).....then open the gearbox for inspection found out it was a synchro problem....bcoz i'm to poor to buy new synchros:banghead:, my mech offered to clean every single parts inside the gearbox and pour a fresh redline's lightweight shockproof LSD oil....walla! no more crunching sound even during high revs!

the downside is, it's quite difficult to engage 1st or reverse gear early in the morning, so my opinion is; allow the oil to warm up first before shifting during high revs (jgn test machine lps kuar dr umah:driver:)....bcoz visually u can see how thick is the gear oil if u compared with other type of gear oil...it may need some warming up before the suitable viscosity is achieved.....
how much ur mech charge u for the cleaning? where is the workshop located? tq

zNiPeR

Known Member
May 23, 2006
how much ur mech charge u for the cleaning? where is the workshop located? tq
it's been 2-3 years since i've overhauled my gbox....can't recall but usual labor charge wud be around RM150 to 200 to overhaul gbox...the workshop is Speed Tune Autoworks(Din)....now in front of Tesco Ampang.....

ferio94eg9

Known Member
Jul 12, 2007
it's been 2-3 years since i've overhauled my gbox....can't recall but usual labor charge wud be around RM150 to 200 to overhaul gbox...the workshop is Speed Tune Autoworks(Din)....now in front of Tesco Ampang.....
is it the same Din or known as Din Pendek (the shop used to be at Danau Kota (behind EPF)?)

zhaf_b16

Known Member
Aug 9, 2006
mind sharing the crunching sounds during hirev is at which gear? 2 to 3, 3-4.... before u had the problem with the crunching sound, did u had any miss gear that may lead to the crunching sounds? anyway, what is the status of your GB now?
1st GB, ori eg6 with LSD. no problem. during this time i wasn't sure what GB oil am i using.

2nd GB, 4.7 Type R LSD. hard to engage 1st gear and 5th gear. from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th will make the koko crunching sounds during high rev. waste my money only to buy this GB. wasn't so sure what GB oil at first, then change to redline blue gel. solved the crunching sound but later it was making the damn sound again.

3rd GB, another ori eg6 LSD. use redline blue gel. was OK for first 3 days only. then the same. 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th. crunching during high rev only. change to lucas oil but the situation get worst. now during low rev also got crunching sounds.

the status now? ahh... f**k the GB man. no money also to fix. fed up also to fix. i'm getting married la. have to pay for other much more important things la.

but maybe i would like to try to flush the GB, then use back the redline oil. what say u?

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

that is quite cheap la bro. so now OK ke? so after the overhaul until now u use the redline?

zNiPeR

Known Member
May 23, 2006
that is quite cheap la bro. so now OK ke? so after the overhaul until now u use the redline?
still using redline...currently is the 2nd change...the color stay the same oso after 1year++...haha

zhaf_b16

Known Member
Aug 9, 2006
i see. i think i'm going to try the cheapest way dulu lah. gbox flush + new redline oil. i hope by doing that i can at least make the crunching sound dissappear during normal driving.

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
FYI,d so-called BlueGel frm Red Line acts like a "mask"..it doesn't really SOLVE ur problem....coz,whn u suffer frm crunching during gear change(regardless hi/low rpm),der is sumthg WRONG w ur synchors oredy.......IF BlueGel can't help mask ur problem,thn u actually haf no choice but 2 open it up n replace wat is necessary n of course,while ur at it,do clean d whole gbox....

dis is sumthg like facial/make-up lar...if d skin too bad dy,u use wat mask or make up 2 mask it oso useless,right?so,kena buat surgery jugaks!hahahha

cheers

alwhitesat

500 RPM
Jan 6, 2009
it actually happened to me years back....mtf-3, motul pa90, redline were all useless at that time
only this one mechanic dare to changed my gb oil to 20W/50 mineral based engine oil and it works eversince.....

u can give it a try and it wont do any harm to your gb...

firstly, flush ur current gb oil and fill up with 20w/50 engine oil.....run for 3-4 days, flush, and fill up again...keep the routine every 5000 km

good luck!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We recently reviewed an Audi RS4 B5 Avant, which to our surprise was packing a close figure of 500 horsepower. It's the grand daddy of RS-Superwagons and although it was packing some goodies from the renowned VAG tuner - Motoren-Technik-Mayer (MTM) -...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience