Traditional Alfa Romeo spirit

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
(Partly dedicated to Silverfish)

So yesterday night I borrowed a relative's Alfa 147 for a spin. Ive driven these before, but yesterday I drove it with the purpose of checking out everything and seeing if its a good car to own.

Sitting inside the interior, you do feel that a lot of thought and effort has been put into it to make the car a comfortable, classy and a very, very nice place to be in. There were minor touches of design everywhere, even the door handles the Italians couldnt leave alone and make it a door handle. It had to have some curves, and a place for you to rest your thumb on when you do grab it to pull/push the door. (Not the handle to open/close the door, the one on the door panel for you to hold on to). The trim was high end, and it had plenty of interior gizmos to push, pull and play with.

So I hit the highways and after paying the toll, clicked out of city driving mode and and opened the taps on the 2L engine, shifting through the powerband with the Selespeed system. It was all jolly exciting watching the red rev dial climb as the engine gave out its Alfa rumble, and when it shifted it felt very mechanical. During a downshift, the engine blip and rev matching is sensational. It is, dare I say, like a mild and user friendly small Ferrari-ish hatchback, with its red leather seats, paddle shifting, red center console display and a figure in the middle showing what gear youre in and all. Note that this 147 however did have some performance tweaks.

So, good fun then. But then it proceeded to break down at the traffic lights. Selespeed system decided that it should have a coffee break and didnt want to shift gears anymore.

Apparantly the electrical system got confused, and the car did work again but not after a few restarts, phone calls and sometime sitting at the side of the road like a homeless berk. True to the traditional Alfa spirit then, I didnt drive from one destination to another without breaking down. :biggrin:

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I expected a really good review of the 147. Unfortunately, it broke down and i must say i'd have second thought about owning one now.

Saw in Motortrader and the 147 has got really low second hand price. A 2002 model retails for only RM80K while the first batch 2001 model is going at high 60's to low 70K.

subsonique

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Flashpoint
that's not entirely true. Alfa Romeo spirit? well, you must own one to experience one. just a short burst will not reveal its true self. the Romeo nowadays is less problematic if you compared with the yesteryears. i can solely swear that after owning 2 Italian cars, i am truly satisfied with its true Italian spirit. one of the main reasons why some break down, or engine failure is due to the fact that the owners rarely redlined the bellas or hardly take good care of them. Italian cars need to run fast and redlining them everyday will ensure smooth ride all year round hehe. you need to open wide its throttle regularly to see how it truly performs hehe. trust me, my next cars will always be an Italian.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Only partly dedicated?

Nah...kidding, I don't deserve the honour. Hell, I don't even own an Alfa, just a fanboy I'm afraid.

Its a shame the car broke down partway through your test drive. The Selespeed, as I've heard, is known to be "temperamental". If I was going for an Alfa, I'd avoid it like bird flu.

subsonique

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Flashpoint
invisibleghost, get the 2.5 V6 manual or the Q-system? either would be good, but of course i always prefer the manual 6 speeder, it's a road runner no doubt. the manual 6 speeder is pretty rare here, if not mistaken only 10 units came in. 3 of them belong to people i know hehe.

and like what invisbleghost said, if you're afraid of the Selespeed, get the manual 1.6 which performs quite well

silverfish, the Selespeed, when it first introduced in 1998, of course had some problems this and that. but nothing that the mechanics cannot rectify. it can be rectified and the version nowadays are pretty smooth and problem free. the only problem known is when the actuator is worn out. and that too, can be replaced. i don't see why you guys are afraid of Alfa Romeo or FIAT hehe. you should try to get out of line sometimes and smell the air.

Ingolstadt

500 RPM
Dec 26, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
www.evomalaysia.com
Hey, no one metioned me ? I'm an Alfa fan as well. (Ok, perhaps i'm driving Claudia Schiffer doesn't mean Monica Belucci doesn't attract me right?)

If ever i found someone (must be an idiot perhaps) whose willing to swap his 156 2.5V6 MANUAL with my A4 1.8T.... I'd do it right away ! haha !

Italian rides, there's always this special feeling bout them, but somehow although the 159 looks really taunting, i don't like it very much, there's too much of compromise, especially the rear door handles... sad. I still love how the original 156 looks, never will anyone from ay part of the world be able to design something so weird, yet so attractive and sexy. 159? blah, it looks like some honda accord with D&G jewelleries. (I'd still take it over 156 thou..... )

My favs, 156 2.5 V6 Sportswagon (Available here?!?) and Fiat Punto HGT (Not Abarth nor facelift.... original HGT ! )

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Guys, of course I wrote that with a bit of humorous intent in mind. The selespeed system only choked a bit, it didnt completely fail which isnt enough to turn me away from the car.

This particular 147 is very well kept. The SS system is very smooth and at low revs pootling around town it didnt feel like a AMT at all, as long as I kept a steady foot over the throttle it felt like a torque converter unit. Its just that, being an Alfa Romeo, it will make a fuss now and then like a kid. And thats acceptable to me so long as its not the work horse Im talking about. But of course to its fun to spice things up a bit when youre writing right. :biggrin:

BTW, I worked out sometime ago that a whole rebuild of the transmission will set the owner back by about RM7k. Not a pretty figure. That includes the synchros (which wear out quickly on a SS once the actuators deteriorate)

Silverfish, no worries. Im also just a fanboy after all. But, given time... :biggrin:

Ingolstadt, seems that we both fancy Audis and Alfas then? Hehe I find there is a tendency of people who appreciate Italian marques to go Audi when they decide to try German, unless they have performance in mind in which case they'd go for a BMW and then be ridiculed by the others. And btw the 156 2.5V6 Sportswagon is indeed available here, saw a couple for sale sometime ago.

I really fancy the pre-facelift 156 more (If I didnt miss anything only the 155 and 156 has that small grille with side strips design... I love it), and the sensible thing to do would obviously be going for the 2.5 V6 Q-sys. or the 6 speeder. Sounds better too.

Just recently there was a 1999' 2.5V6 6-speeder with less than 80k kms on the clock for sale... but when I called up the buyer enthusiastically said he's decided to continue keeping it.

Its someone else in my family whos looking for a car though.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Zeroed said:
Silverfish, no worries. Im also just a fanboy after all. But, given time... :biggrin:
Given time...yes...don't you just wish it was sooner though:emoticon_U:

Zeroed said:
Ingolstadt, seems that we both fancy Audis and Alfas then? Hehe I find there is a tendency of people who appreciate Italian marques to go Audi when they decide to try German, unless they have performance in mind in which case they'd go for a BMW and then be ridiculed by the others.
Strangely true, for me as well.

Zeroed said:
I really fancy the pre-facelift 156 more (If I didnt miss anything only the 155 and 156 has that small grille with side strips design... I love it), and the sensible thing to do would obviously be going for the 2.5 V6 Q-sys. or the 6 speeder. Sounds better too.
Yup, the old (pre-facelift) 156 looks better somehow.

subsonique

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Flashpoint
but the 155 is still one of the macho cars around, without a doubt haha. the stance, the edgey and sharp boxy design is to die for hehe.

alien

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2004
kuala lumpur
Visit site
yea, even the 147 looks betta before the facelift..
i have a feeling tat they did it just for the sake of havin a facelift..
to have sumtin new..
both the 156 n 147 looks great when they 1st came out..
a 156 in red can make me drool anytime..:X-:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Salam & Hi to all ZTH forumers,
My office mate car was stolen last nite 25/3/2012.
Stolen at seri kinabalu, wangsa maju, seksyen 10. Last seen at 11pm last nite.
Plate reg. number JFT 1551 White, Evo6 Engine, Evo6 Bodykit.
If u seen this car please call police or my fren directly Amir at 019-233 4441
Tqvm.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience