Strange overheating problem

option1978

Known Member
May 25, 2009
My colleague faced similar problem with her 1 year old Viva recently.

A/C cold when temperature is low (when starting car) & hot when temperature rises & idling.

She sent her car to Perodua & they immediately detained her car after checking for the problem but she wasn't able to explain what is the problem detected (lady mah) but only recalled that Perodua personnel told her that her car will catch fire if she insist on driving it before they repair the problem.

Will ask if she still keeps the receipt for repair, if so will post what is the problem that they detected. Was supposed to claim for warranty but need to wait over 2 weeks to claim & she ended up paying for the repair (cost her around Rm 100.00) & it solves her problem.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
*Shakes head at arturo and ixeo* :canabis::rofl:

Anyway - update for my situation is I've changed the radiator cap. The old one seems a bit tight to compress and it wasn't smooth toe compress. Kinda felt a bit rusty on the inside.

Will have to monitor for now. These days it hasn't been hot enough to affect the car yet.
Did you get this?
New Bling: D-Sport 1.3 Bar Radiator Cap

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
My colleague faced similar problem with her 1 year old Viva recently.

A/C cold when temperature is low (when starting car) & hot when temperature rises & idling.

She sent her car to Perodua & they immediately detained her car after checking for the problem but she wasn't able to explain what is the problem detected (lady mah) but only recalled that Perodua personnel told her that her car will catch fire if she insist on driving it before they repair the problem.

Will ask if she still keeps the receipt for repair, if so will post what is the problem that they detected. Was supposed to claim for warranty but need to wait over 2 weeks to claim & she ended up paying for the repair (cost her around Rm 100.00) & it solves her problem.
Catch fire? I don't know how my car would catch fire but whatever she did for RM100, please do let me know. I've spent RM10 on a radiator cap, RM25 on a thermostat, RM25 for coolant and a lot of time spent troubleshooting!

RM80 for a rad cap? No thanks. I don't really agree with using a higher pressure cap. Increase the boiling point yes but that basically means you have hotter coolant running through the system. How's that a good thing for jam situations? If racing / track, that's a different thing.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
RM80 for a rad cap? No thanks. I don't really agree with using a higher pressure cap. Increase the boiling point yes but that basically means you have hotter coolant running through the system. How's that a good thing for jam situations? If racing / track, that's a different thing.
Higher pressure also, make sure the system is okay. If not, may get leaks and probably even burst hoses....

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
head gasket ok?
open rad cap, let the engine warm-up.
after fully warm-up, see got bubbles or not at the filler mouth.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
head gasket ok?
open rad cap, let the engine warm-up.
after fully warm-up, see got bubbles or not at the filler mouth.
No visible leaks from the head. No bubbles (big ones.. small ones from the heat got la)[

The weather hasn't really been hot enough to really try this but I've been stuck in a few jams lately and so far so good. Seems it might just be the rad cap since the old one was kinda rickety and rusty.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Latest update :

With the recent heat wave I've had the chance to test the car idling on a hot day and stuck in traffic in hot weather... problem solved!

A simple radiator cap change. Dang!

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
You should be thankful, not Dang!

If it DIDN'T solve the problem, you're fucked cause it can be a million other reasons.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You should be thankful, not Dang!

If it DIDN'T solve the problem, you're fucked cause it can be a million other reasons.
The "Dang" was more of a "Goddammit.. such a simple thing like this and I didn't find it earlier" dang.

:biggrin:

dknycom

Jun 18, 2013
JOHOR
100% because of the air con condenser because of old already and weak now.

Change a new one will solve this problem

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Catch fire? I don't know how my car would catch fire but whatever she did for RM100, please do let me know. I've spent RM10 on a radiator cap, RM25 on a thermostat, RM25 for coolant and a lot of time spent troubleshooting!

Higher pressure also, make sure the system is okay. If not, may get leaks and probably even burst hoses....
Latest update :

With the recent heat wave I've had the chance to test the car idling on a hot day and stuck in traffic in hot weather... problem solved!

A simple radiator cap change. Dang!

my car last time very weird wan....change higher pressure rad cap result even more water loss (daily check) :banghead:

end up self-washing the radiator inside+flush and use back stock radiator cap...so far so good in jams/slow uphill... (didnt drive fast anyway)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
100% because of the air con condenser because of old already and weak now.

Change a new one will solve this problem
Um... no? I said radiator cap. Problem already solved. Incdientally my condensor is a new one. I opted for a new parts when I had the whole thing serviced.

my car last time very weird wan....change higher pressure rad cap result even more water loss (daily check) :banghead:

end up self-washing the radiator inside+flush and use back stock radiator cap...so far so good in jams/slow uphill... (didnt drive fast anyway)
Your car too power already la! :biggrin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As the post says, I need a set of 4G93T Pistons for a 1994 Mitsubishi Lancer Mirage. Its a 1800cc turbo engine and I don't mine if I can get it stock, because I just need to get the vehicle back up and running. See some pics of the Piston attached...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience