Strange overheating problem

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Guys,

Need to get feedback from anyone who cares to reply :

I just recently discovered a strange problem with my Myvi. Whenever it's a hot day and I get stuck in a jam or is parked with the engine on, the aircon will start to lose it's cold air and the water temp will start to go up.

If I start moving normally (>50km/h) the temp goes back to normal and aircon works again.

- Thermostat changed to a new one
- Changed to new coolant
- Radiator not blocked
- Hoses not leaking
- Radiator water level and overflow tank coolant level normal
- No obvious oil leaks from the head (head has never been removed before)
- Radiator and aircon fan moving and I think it's moving at full speed, not slower.

Car is almost 7 years old. Any ideas how to resolve this overheating problem? Or what might be causing it?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
-the fan motor is weak
-water level is insufficient
-radiator cap

these 3 normally cause the problem(either one)
1. Fan motor weak - how would I check if it is or not? Visual checks looks like the fan is working really well. Loud, fast and quite strong wind.

2. Water level as mentioned earlier - it's all normal

3. Radiator cap - I'll need to look into this. Forgot to replace this - thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Hi, the water pump might weak or spoiled edi. Do you check you water pump?
How do check the water pump other than taking everything out? If it really is the water pump then I'm screwed. That's a lot of work to remove

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
If technical I do not know how to check. I just know if the water pump spoiled, the water and coolant is not able to circulate the whole system like usual from radiator (cold water) go into engine and engine (hot water) go back to the radiator. Try to check thermostat, it's working fine?

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
how frequent do you service your air-cond coz 7 years of use for todays car is very2 long already coz moving parts must have wear @ tear, never service my a/c for 5 years now it cost me a lot especially for perodua cars,

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan
must be the radiator fan motor, compare your radiator fan motor spinning sound with your friend's myvi motor sound, optimum condition fan motor should be quite high pitch.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

check your radiator fan fuse, might be weak and need replacement d.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Myvi uses ONE god damn fan only for both radiator and condenser. If there's a linkage of problem between AC and engine temp, i could only think of the fan. My wira had this problem before where the AC fan is moving, but not fast enough sometimes. Initially I thought it was functioning as it is spinning. But then the problem became worse and the fan sometimes stopped spinning. Only when the car is moving the air cond is cold.

You mentioned that it is alright when you are driving at 50kmh. Means at that speed and above only the heat passing through the radiator and condenser could dissipate through ram air. Maybe check with another myvi and see if the fan speed is actually correct?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If technical I do not know how to check. I just know if the water pump spoiled, the water and coolant is not able to circulate the whole system like usual from radiator (cold water) go into engine and engine (hot water) go back to the radiator. Try to check thermostat, it's working fine?
If the water pump is spoiled would it mean the temperature would be high all the time or only when hot? Mine is specifically only when ambient temperature is hot and only when the car is barely moving.

I've already changed the thermostat to a new one.

Bro, adding a relay might solve your problem :)
To permanantly leave the fan on? No thanks. I need some heat to warm up the engine when cold. 90% of engine wear occurs when the engine is cold, I don't want to wear it out that fast. Someone mentioned to me verbally to remove the thermostat - no thanks again.

how frequent do you service your air-cond coz 7 years of use for todays car is very2 long already coz moving parts must have wear @ tear, never service my a/c for 5 years now it cost me a lot especially for perodua cars,
Aircon serviced before. Condensor cleaned, compressor serviced (inside parts swapped out) and aircon gas refilled. Done it one time only. I normally don't touch the aircon parts unless there's a problem - learnt it the hard way when I over serviced my old car and the condensor actually broke down faster than normal. Bolts were loose and all that too.

must be the radiator fan motor, compare your radiator fan motor spinning sound with your friend's myvi motor sound, optimum condition fan motor should be quite high pitch.

check your radiator fan fuse, might be weak and need replacement d.
Side by side with my other myvi the fan sounds and looks the same. If I'm parked and idling and the temp goes up, opening the hood stops the temp from going up. I'm guessing the fan works then?

Not sure what you mean by a weak fan fuse? Or you mean weak fan? Fuse is ok since the fan is moving.

Myvi uses ONE god damn fan only for both radiator and condenser. If there's a linkage of problem between AC and engine temp, i could only think of the fan. My wira had this problem before where the AC fan is moving, but not fast enough sometimes. Initially I thought it was functioning as it is spinning. But then the problem became worse and the fan sometimes stopped spinning. Only when the car is moving the air cond is cold.

You mentioned that it is alright when you are driving at 50kmh. Means at that speed and above only the heat passing through the radiator and condenser could dissipate through ram air. Maybe check with another myvi and see if the fan speed is actually correct?
Yeah.. already checked. Side by side with a 2008 Myvi. 2004 vs 2008 side by side and fan seems to be running the same.

Like I said folks - this is a very strange problem. But I will try changing the radiator cap first, that might be stuck so pressure buildup when hot. That's actually a good idea actually - didn't think of replacing that.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
btw, sometimes atf cooler in front of condensor also can cause this problem, check check.
Yeah thought of that too. My DIY ATF cooler has already been taken out sometime ago. So now the car is pretty much stock lock and barrel.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
u've mentioned changed coolant previously...

errr how about the inner side of radiator look a like??? full of rust or clean like new??

if full of rust might be a good reason to get the radiator flushed/cuci by the radiator shop.....

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Could be one or combinations of these problems....

1) Excessive dirt built up on your aircond condenser, next to your radiator

Can be solved by using chemical wash and rinse properly.

2) Inadequate aircond gas, shortage of gas may trigger the fan from not running in full capacity.

Can be solved by topping up some aircond gas.

3) Fan motor needs to be replaced or change new carbon, though its running but not at original speed

Can be solved by changing the carbon in the fan motor or totally replaced a new one.

Hope my suggestions helps..:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

TAR

Tarmac (short for tarmacadam, or tar-penetration macadam) is a type of road surfacing material
a petroleum production also known as bituminous surface treatment (BST) or "chip-seal",

in simple term .... Bitumen is the remnant of crude oil after the petrol....and there are a least hundreds of product available and the most effective ..like acidic base solvent...which widely pratice by car detailing shop (to save time and increase productivity)..petrol or...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience