Strange overheating problem

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
If the water pump is spoiled would it mean the temperature would be high all the time or only when hot? Mine is specifically only when ambient temperature is hot and only when the car is barely moving.
I had my water pump problem with the impellers rusted away causing erratic water temperature during car at stationary and running. Regardless, it is wise to open up your water pump to check its condition since your car is 7 years old which is equal to 60 human age. My 2002 car's water pump impellers were fully rusted away when I opened it in 2011.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
u've mentioned changed coolant previously...

errr how about the inner side of radiator look a like??? full of rust or clean like new??

if full of rust might be a good reason to get the radiator flushed/cuci by the radiator shop.....
The radiator doesn't have gunk or whatever, it's clean. I flush it whenever I change it and I take out the thermostat too to flush out whatever is in the block. The shops just use a high pressure water gun to flush the thing, I don't do that mainly because I don't want to break anything. If the amount of water flowing out is as much as the water flowing in, then I'm fine.

Could be one or combinations of these problems....

1) Excessive dirt built up on your aircond condenser, next to your radiator

Can be solved by using chemical wash and rinse properly.

2) Inadequate aircond gas, shortage of gas may trigger the fan from not running in full capacity.

Can be solved by topping up some aircond gas.

3) Fan motor needs to be replaced or change new carbon, though its running but not at original speed

Can be solved by changing the carbon in the fan motor or totally replaced a new one.

Hope my suggestions helps..:biggrin:
1. No. As mentioned only serviced once and I keep everything clean
2. No. See #1.
3. Possible but not obvious since side by side with another Myvi the fan appears to be running equally fast.

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

I had my water pump problem with the impellers rusted away causing erratic water temperature during car at stationary and running. Regardless, it is wise to open up your water pump to check its condition since your car is 7 years old which is equal to 60 human age. My 2002 car's water pump impellers were fully rusted away when I opened it in 2011.
Sigh. This was what I was hoping to avoid. It's a b*tch to remove the water pump in a Myvi. I'll try the radiator cap suggestion first then swap out the water pump as a last resort. My temp is constant throughout the day and these last few days it's been cold and wet so the temp has been been fantastic too. The problem only occurs on hot days and when the car is close to idle and/or moving very slowly.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
during idle...try getting the temperature of the AC condensor...if its super hot, means its not dissipating heat enough before recirculating the gas back to the cooling coil. reasons? could be compressor dying since u said yr rad n condensor's fins are both clean. simply check ac gas pressure to know how healthy the compressor is. if compressor is healthy, then it could mean that heat excessive heat from the rad is getting transmitted to the ac condensor which could mean the rad/ac condensor fan not working up to par.

for the rad, is there a big temp difference between the inlet hose vs outlet hose? the outlet hose is supposed to be only warm and u are supposed to be able to hold onto the hose without any pain...like warm bath water...but the inlet hose is supposed to be close to boiling...if both hoses feel about the same (really hot), then either water pump not pumping water thru the rad fast enuff or rad no dissipating heat fast enuff....

also...did u check yr ac/alternator/water pump belt? any slippage? i know a guy who drove his myvi with a broken belt for a full day without knowing it...he only found out when his battery died haha

i had the same problem with my ac not being cold during idle...my mech kept telling me that the condensor fan is not working up to par...but i kept arguing that it was still strong as the wind is strong and no difference to "feel" compared to other same car with cold AC. one day...i made a bet with him and said change la..if still not cold then he need to belanja me lunch...if it works, then i belanja him lunch. i ended up paying for his lunch.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
agree with arturo, could be the aircond fan.....

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

get your wife or someone to sit inside the car, with the engine running & aircond on,
once it gets hot & temp increases, spray water on the condensor...if the aircond feels cooler & temp decreases, confirm its the fan.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro. Izso,
You can open radiator cap when cold, then start engine and bring up to operating temperature. That is when thermostat open and you can see the water movement from radiator cap hole to see if water pump is working...

But usually when idling heat up, is mostly fan problem....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Yea...the only part that affect the performance of two different system is the fan. I can't think of any other possibilities already...compressor problem doesn't affect the radiator system. Water pump problem doesn't affect the air cond system. If you're getting these two problem at the same time, means a common part for these two systems got problem. If not, lagi headache coz you might be getting problem in each of the system, separately.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Work from cheap to expensive solution. Change the radiator cap first, it could very well be the culprit. The usual suspect is really the fan motor for a Myvi.

EDIT: if you think its strange, you haven't see my overheating problem. lol.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Work from cheap to expensive solution. Change the radiator cap first, it could very well be the culprit. The usual suspect is really the fan motor for a Myvi.

EDIT: if you think its strange, you haven't see my overheating problem. lol.
Wah! yours from twilight zone?.....hahahahahaha:rofl:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
ixeo overheat cos watch too much XXX. nothing strange there :rofl:
never overheat d la.. now use fully synthetic lubricant.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
*Shakes head at arturo and ixeo* :canabis::rofl:

Anyway - update for my situation is I've changed the radiator cap. The old one seems a bit tight to compress and it wasn't smooth toe compress. Kinda felt a bit rusty on the inside.

Will have to monitor for now. These days it hasn't been hot enough to affect the car yet.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
*Shakes head at arturo and ixeo* :canabis::rofl:

Anyway - update for my situation is I've changed the radiator cap. The old one seems a bit tight to compress and it wasn't smooth toe compress. Kinda felt a bit rusty on the inside.

Will have to monitor for now. These days it hasn't been hot enough to affect the car yet.
ask ixeo recommend the XXX he watch when he experienced strange overheating...it should get yr myvi overheating in no time...

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It might be the third strike for most people but Team Bridgestone’s Ivan Lau only needed two before he finally claimed overall victory in the Round Two of the Goodyear International Drift Series following his narrowest of losses in the final of the opening round...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience