RON95 & RON97 Myths and Facts

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
While people are all talking about high ron fuel, I actually wish Malaysia can have lower ron (90-92) at cheaper price so can use that instead for my lousy Livina to save cost even more!

your livina wont accept ron92....

it would ping and check engine light came out...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
We used to have 92, but price was not far off. They came out with 95 to cater for the masses.....lol

only time i use ron92 is on old bike with worn out piston rings...

LimauKanker

Known Member
Aug 27, 2018
Can la bro! In Indonesia, most Livina just use Ron88, no problem leh! The compression ratio is only 9,5:1, so definitely can use ron90-92.
Some same car might have regional tune to cater for different market fuel availability. for instance, most car in Thailand are tuned for ethanol compatible while the same car in Malaysia might not be compatible with their E20 fuel.

Reactions: Izso

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
How much was the difference in price back then? If it were over 20 cents I'd still buy it.
about 30-40 sen diff if not mistaken back then...

Can la bro! In Indonesia, most Livina just use Ron88, no problem leh! The compression ratio is only 9,5:1, so definitely can use ron90-92.
the car sold to country specific have been tuned from factory to suits the fuel...

if u bring your current car directly pump ron88.. then your engine gg liao... ecu can compensate to certain extend within their programmed parameter limit...

once u fill in fuel beyond the ecu programmed limit...check engine light went like christmas tree lorrr....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
about 30-40 sen diff if not mistaken back then...

the car sold to country specific have been tuned from factory to suits the fuel...

if u bring your current car directly pump ron88.. then your engine gg liao... ecu can compensate to certain extend within their programmed parameter limit...

once u fill in fuel beyond the ecu programmed limit...check engine light went like christmas tree lorrr....
I still think it can because the compression ratio is not high. Maybe 88 is pushing it a bit too low but 91/92 should be good enough. Even if may knock, should be minimal and I'm sure can easily be remapped to fix it. Just for example my SSS, compression ratio is much higher at 11:1, more highly tuned for sporty characteristics than that Livina and people keep saying it can only drink 97 but I use 95 still fine so far despite remapping to be more aggressive with RRP v2 maps and I've been driving it like nuts most of the time, yet no knocking or check engine light up.

I tell you, this country is too pampered with high octane fuel. Even old cars or low powered cars like my lousy Livina are forced to drink 95 while actually can save more by just drinking 90-92. If the new government now really want to help people to save more, they should reintroduce 92 at 30-40 cents cheaper than 95. I'd be very happy to buy the 92 if it were 30-40 cents cheaper like back then!

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
I still think it can because the compression ratio is not high. Maybe 88 is pushing it a bit too low but 91/92 should be good enough. Even if may knock, should be minimal and I'm sure can easily be remapped to fix it. Just for example my SSS, compression ratio is much higher at 11:1, more highly tuned for sporty characteristics than that Livina and people keep saying it can only drink 97 but I use 95 still fine so far despite remapping to be more aggressive with RRP v2 maps and I've been driving it like nuts most of the time, yet no knocking or check engine light up.

I tell you, this country is too pampered with high octane fuel. Even old cars or low powered cars like my lousy Livina are forced to drink 95 while actually can save more by just drinking 90-92. If the new government now really want to help people to save more, they should reintroduce 92 at 30-40 cents cheaper than 95. I'd be very happy to buy the 92 if it were 30-40 cents cheaper like back then!
new government same interest as old government. LOL. sorry off topic.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
thais are using ron 92 but with euro 4/5 standard and they are better than our ron 95. some superbikers even like to pump thai petrol

LimauKanker

Known Member
Aug 27, 2018
Reactions: vr2turbo

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
2 miracle happened to me related to petrol this week;

1.2008 saba blm auto.i fill up full tank Ron95 Caltex and my wife drove from Melaka to Shah Alam and back on Sat. Yesterday i notice there was 3 bar left.
I asked her did she fill up and the answer was no.Initially i thought it will blink soon but it does not and then i thought the fuel level is mad so to be safe i pump in full tank again at the same pump at the same Caltex station. When i calculate, it returned 14km/l. I have never got this figure before as best was 12km/l. It has new engine oil but that could not be the reason right?

2.I gatal try Ron97 BHP on my EX5.Fuel is red in colour and smell stronger. Low RPM is stronger as i can pull steadily at higher gear but what weird is i lose mid to high end pull. Why?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Yo, hi bros.
I would like to change my original 4g93t auto gear box side mount intercooler to front mount, hope to get some feedback from all master below my concern:-
1. Any one can recommend where can I get a good workmanship welder and installer?
2. How much it cost to perform the welding and installation? Thinking to buy new intercooler myself.
1. what size of intercooler is good for 2 inch of SS pipe? or should I go for 2 1/2 inch intercooler and piping?
2. After change, will it be...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience