RON 97 or RON 95 for turbo?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
just wondering, issit the ron97 we using now is Real ron97..?? u know la... sometimes in malaysia, anything can happen 1... announce ron97 & ron95, but actually just put the ron95 on ron92, same goes to ron95 then put ron97...
malaysia got place to test fuel octane rating??... if it is not within spec, mayb we can sue petroleum company for huge ass sum of money....

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
I agree with jiniel,
we might not know what we are getting now.maybe pumping in ron95 all this while thinking it's ron97.apa pun boleh.
On a 4g93t got knock sensor ka?if yes why my engine still knocking?
Khoyos,
the water injection system that i heard before and u r mentioning it now,can it be fitted to turbo cars?if yes how does it works?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
tested my JB-JL stock turbo wif RON 95 (petronas putrajaya summore :banghead: ) for 3 fillups... so far no problem.... been accelerating wif full boost (0.9bar) summore and still no knocking... confirmed by 2 experience mechanics....

but they do recommend to use e-manage wif ignition harness just for safety sake...

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Oh good already tried.tempted to try.haha.i think i fill 30bucks first.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Oh good already tried.tempted to try.haha.i think i fill 30bucks first.
erm, might wanna try for at least 2 fillup to ensure there are no RON97 leftovers inside ur tank that can mask any knocking issue

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
turbolover : takde meh? my puny 4efte pun ade baii.. then, the next thing u shud do is retard ur timing manually lah.

just remember one thing, preignition kills ur engine much faster then boost does, lower RON indicates dat the fuel is more prone to preignition compared to a higher number. tuning is the keyword to remember here

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
turbolover : takde meh? my puny 4efte pun ade baii.. then, the next thing u shud do is retard ur timing manually lah.

just remember one thing, preignition kills ur engine much faster then boost does, lower RON indicates dat the fuel is more prone to preignition compared to a higher number. tuning is the keyword to remember here
This is embarrasing but how do i retard the timing manually?:hmmmm:

ondgennis

Known Member
Sep 29, 2004
Malacca
i think those high compression NA car will get more impact from turbo car with RON95 since their engine cant lower the compression on the spot while turbo car at least can lower the boost to reduce the compression in engine.

ninicoco20

Known Member
Jul 20, 2007
turbo to use ron95 or ron97
i dont think turbo is control by Ron
its up to your car's engine
if your car's engine minimum is to use Ron92 (which most car in the world), mean u can use Ron92 & Ron 95 or even Ron 97, Ron 100

ondgennis

Known Member
Sep 29, 2004
Malacca
from wikipedia
"The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of gasoline and other fuels to detonation (engine knocking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. High-performance engines typically have higher compression ratios and are therefore more prone to detonation, so they require higher octane fuel. A lower-performance engine will not generally perform better with high-octane fuel, since the compression ratio is fixed by the engine design."

i think those who mod the car extremely like high compression, advance ignition timing and high boost should stick back to RON97 since the car already tune with RON97 fuel. if the car have knock sensor and able to retard the timing itself then still fine la..else go retune back the car with RON95 is preferable.

just my 2 cents :)

xinghonh

1,000 RPM
Aug 25, 2006
the higher octane fuel will help to keep the injectors cleaner while lower octane does gives u more power...jz dat it makes the injector dirtier
thats wad my mech told me =)

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Hmmm i tried ron 95 today on the way up to penang and knocking seems to be worst.power wise less powerful as i can normally accelerate from 70km/h on 5th gear with ease with ron97 but felt otherwise with ron 95.

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
knocking seems to be worst?
knocking is worst!
hahaha,so how do u know it was knocking?
and how did u solve the problem?

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My beloved car got stolen at R/Pangsa PKNS KG baru. Parked just in front of my house
Detail of the car is as follows :

-Proton saga Iswara Aeroback
-Red color
-Volk racing 16" 2 piece silver color
-Got Sunroof
-standard bodykit. No lips or ducktail whatever. Standard exhaust also.
-front windshield got UPM Staff sticker n other else-Back screen got UPM sticker
-Left rear left door got crack, big one in fact.
-Recaro evo 2 seat -engine standard
-MOMO Competiton steering
-Plate...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience