Questions on FD's maintenance

woaychee

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
Hi, sorry for the interruption, i hope you could give me some value opinions on rx7 FD maintenance

Well, SAME question raised by many peoples who might not familiar with rotary engine like me, the first in my mind is, rotary engine really hard to maintain if I m just daily drive?

I wish to know where you guy maintain your car? The maintenance fee cost same like normal car such as proton? Change engine oil with labor charge around RM60 plus? Another question is, if the engine can not work well (hard to start engine, the engine seem not energy), then where to send for rebuild the engine? How much it cost normally? I read another forum that the mechanic only needs to change the apex seal. Correct me if I m wrong.

Next, the most important is petrol! How much per KM for your current RX7?

I would appreciate if you could tell me more about RX7 which I m missed out but is important to know.

You might notice i m keep emphasis about the cost of maintenance of rx7, i really afraid it will cost me more than i m expected. Really…

I m feel so sorry to bother you with so many silly questions here, I hope you can show me the bright way.

As a consumer, I m need to understand the car is worth before i purchase, right?

Last edited:

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
http://www.fd3s.net/maintenance.html

hope this helps. a good rebuild will cost about 5k depending on what you change (this is where is suggest you get side seals changed as well)

Fuel consumption depends on what you've done and how its mantained. a full tank should easily yield 320-380km

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
yo !!! greetings.

Q: rotary engine really hard to maintain if I m just daily drive?
A: not at all when you get everything correct. if you got yourself a car that is not maintained well, then seriously you're in trouble, get ready to spend money to fix it one by one. you have to consider that the car by now is at least like 10 years old. parts are falling apart... wear and tear parts you need to get ready to replace it. that's an amount of money on it.....

Q: I wish to know where you guy maintain your car?
A: other than those wear and tear parts like bush wear out, gear box bocor here leak there leak... then it's basic....change oil, change filter, make sure the car has enough oil on gear box, LSD box, change brake pads, brake oil etc... normal car one la... no need think so much.

Q: maintenance fee cost same like normal car such as proton?
A: cost of changing oil.... just one semi-sync or mineral oil will do the trick. our car burn the oil in the combustion chamber, so... to have a clean exhaust, use mineral oil, that's quite forgiving. if use the syncthetic oil... you cari pasal urself... if the engine is not healthy.... oil got into turbo or turbo oil is leaking inside.. then you'll have oil in ur exhaust. oil filter cost around 21 to 25 ringgit... oil... u think urself..... u want to put what also can.. as long as it's new oil... not recycled oil.

Q: if the engine can not work well (hard to start engine, the engine seem not energy), then where to send for rebuild the engine?
A: engine hard to start has few things... starter (battery low etc)... flooding in the engine (can do it yourself)....

Q: I read another forum that the mechanic only needs to change the apex seal. Correct me if I m wrong.
A: when Apex seal is blown or very low compression number.. then you replace them.... basically if you're a daily driver... don't need to worry about it.... you're not pushing the car like a barbarian then you're safe....the other factor where people change the apex seal is they want better compression for new upgrades like BIG turbos.. etc.. then you need to think.. else.. daily... no problem la.... low compression also can drive.... not up to standard power only.

Q: Next, the most important is petrol! How much per KM for your current RX7?
A: normall stock TWINS are more fuel are required.. the turbo start earlier... modified single turbos tend to perform better as they run NA until a certain RPM their turbo kick in and more petrol is required ( usually 4000 rpm and above).

Q: You might notice i m keep emphasis about the cost of maintenance of rx7, i really afraid it will cost me more than i m expected. Really…
A: get ready 20 K after u get ur car... unless u're getting a well known mint car that all of us know off it's perfect like brother joewe's car.. then you're safe...

Q: As a consumer, I m need to understand the car is worth before i purchase, right?
A: go ahead and ask us question...
yes.. we will help

conclusion....
don't worry.... we can help you in anyway... just post some questions here and search internet.... it helps... if you need anyone of us to help to see how's the condition of the car... just post as well.. i believe there are alot more people that is more experience than me that able to spare some time to look into your future car....