RX7 Questions.Please help!

- D i a b l o -

500 RPM
Sep 27, 2005
Shah Alam
bosstrain.blogspot.com
Alot of question to answer.wait for Saru-kun to arrive and answer most :d

However,if you are asking about SE3P.Im here.

your Question 14 is easily answered.There's this famous rotary workshop in USJ1 and the owner goes by the name of Ah Choy (Choi,Choy anything lah)

Refer to rotary garages post for direction.

I try my best to answer your question according to my capabilities ..LOL

- D i a b l o -

500 RPM
Sep 27, 2005
Shah Alam
bosstrain.blogspot.com
1 - basically tuning differences,and upgrades in mechanical terms

Series 8 (January 1999– August 2002) was the final series, and was only available in the Japanese market. More efficient turbochargers were installed, while improved intercooling and radiator cooling was made possible by a revised frontal area. The seats, steering wheel, and front and rear lights were all changed. The rear wing was modified and gained adjustability. The top-of-the-line "Type RS" came equipped with a Bilstein suspension and 17" wheels as standard equipment. Power was officially claimed as 280 ps (276 hp, 208 kW) (with 330 N·m (243 ft·lbf) of torque) as per the maximum Japanese limit, though realistic power was more likely 220–230 kW (290–308 hp). The Type RZ version included all the features of the Type RS, but at a lighter weight. It also featured custom BBS wheels and a custom red racing themed interior. Further upgrades included a new 16-bit ECU and ABS system upgrades. The improved ABS system worked by braking differently on each wheel, allowing the car better turning during braking. The effective result made for safer driving for the average buyer. Easily the most collectible of all the RX-7s was the last 1,500 run-out specials. Dubbed the "Spirit R", they combined all the "extra" features Mazda had used on previous limited-run specials and all sold within days of being announced. They still command amazing prices on the Japanese used car scene years later.

2 - obssessed? its more like a responsibility.Rotary engines have quite short lifespan compared to recircopirating engines.They might have less part moving innards and everything,but its a thermally ineffecient combustion engine,so there's alot of heat involved that wear certain parts intensively (eg - apex seals) which requires a rebuild to restore the engine rather then what we call "overhaul" as rotary cant be overhauled as far as i know.

6 - easy,do a compression test to check the engine.You should ask the maestro's around here.13btt,phat7,alchemis..alot of people here are very knowledgable.

9 - i dont know about this,im guessing around 260-320kmh per full tank? Experts please advise.

10 - To drive the car daily will make a hole in your wallet anyway you wanted to look at it.From my humble experience,the FD i used to be in averages around 300kmh per fill up.tad optimistic but a good driving style will help the consumption.

11 . The RX7's FD uses only 13B engine as stock.No 20B or 26B,Only 13B.Theres alot of engine codes for 13B though.The series 8 FD3S i know most run 13B-REW.

12 - apex seals.must be.again i dont know much.Im just guessing.

RERider

Aug 7, 2004
Putrajaya
U questions are very very looooong...

Thanks diablo for the answers.
HanJackal- A long lists for us to answer. Can u pls do some searching on web? Many answers u will find here (sticky) as well as nopistons.com, rx7club.com, robrobinette.com

Try to answer some of ur questions...

Q3. Never boost ur RX more than 1 Bar. Although you can raise the boost to 1.1bar for VERY short runs (1/4mile for example) but it's not recommended.

Q4. Rotary Engines are quite easy to get hp. If u are look for 400hp and above, 1st thing is to get a good response turbine. Some minor modifications on intake manifold (3mm bigger than stock), high cc or extra injectors and housing portings (serious mod) are more than enuf. Also upgrade of the fuel system which includes a new fuel filter, cleaned injectors, a fuel pressure regulator and stand alone ECU to tune/refine the fuel supply.

Q5. Replacement parts are very expensive and hard to get except the new one. Do u know that how much would all the RX-7 OEM parts cost? I mean the new parts origin from Mazda. If u dismantle an RX-7 pieces by pieces and order brand new parts from Japan, it will cost u more than 9000000yen (~RM300k). [FYI, RX-7 used to sell at 4000000yen back in 2002. Even the last batch (used) still selling now at 4500000yen approx.]

Q7. In 1 pc.

Q8. give u data logging.. I better leave this to our daikor, phat7..:_:

RERider

Last edited:

HanJackaL

1,000 RPM
Dec 8, 2004
PJ
Thanks alot for answers guys ! RErider,i actually smsed you regarding your FD.I been playing with Vtecs so rotary seem very strange to me.Cant understand it at all!

How come in one of the stickies regarding RX7 reliability,alot of people said that RX7 is reliable when well maintained but you guys telling me its not due to inefficient combustion engine that increases wear on parts ?So that means the RX7 is NOT a reliable engine to be used as daily ? Petrol consumption aside because i am ready to spend on petrol if i want to drive a powerfull car,even my civic eats petrol if i redline it on every gear =)But i dont want to leave my car in workshop a few times a month to replace spoilt parts.

In a RE rebuilt,what exactly is done?How often must i send my engine for rebuilding?

And regarding engine codes,is all RX7 FD3S using 13B engine ?Even the 99-2002 batch ?What car uses 20b and 26B then ?Whats the difference between 13B and 20/26B ?

Thanks again guys !

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
i drive my car daily when its not under the knife. i find the car very reliable. on occasions i have no choice but to ferry clients then the rx takes a rest.

Shanashi

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Hanjackal seriously I was at your position once....I did some mega research on the net,overseas forums,howstuffworks bla bla to the extend of visiting ah choy himself twice and another workshop once as well as owners abt the car.....you will get better feedback in terms of maintence reliability and much more....

long live rotary~!! :_:

- D i a b l o -

500 RPM
Sep 27, 2005
Shah Alam
bosstrain.blogspot.com
HanJackaL said:
Thanks alot for answers guys ! RErider,i actually smsed you regarding your FD.I been playing with Vtecs so rotary seem very strange to me.Cant understand it at all!

How come in one of the stickies regarding RX7 reliability,alot of people said that RX7 is reliable when well maintained but you guys telling me its not due to inefficient combustion engine that increases wear on parts ?So that means the RX7 is NOT a reliable engine to be used as daily ? Petrol consumption aside because i am ready to spend on petrol if i want to drive a powerfull car,even my civic eats petrol if i redline it on every gear =)But i dont want to leave my car in workshop a few times a month to replace spoilt parts.

In a RE rebuilt,what exactly is done?How often must i send my engine for rebuilding?

And regarding engine codes,is all RX7 FD3S using 13B engine ?Even the 99-2002 batch ?What car uses 20b and 26B then ?Whats the difference between 13B and 20/26B ?

Thanks again guys !
Heheh no problemo.First.I suggest you start looking on the basics of the rotary engine.Its reliable when well maintained

(eg - services..MOST important is oil! This is the start of everything bad later on.The rotary engines uses oil as a way to cool the engine,regular services yadayada)

I like your attitude.You got the right mindframe to own a RX car.Dont be yapping about why the fuel so expensive la,this car drink fuels la.Nothing comes for free.It got its drawback and everything,so you can only improvise.

I dont know how frequent you got to rebuild.That,you need to ask 13btt.our sole expert in rebuilding or you can contact ah choy and ask him.

(p/s if you want to rebuild,go with glen (13btt) anyway.He roxxor lol)

Yes,all RX-7 FD's uses 13B codes.the 20B Rotary engine is originated from the Cosmo Sports model and the 26B is not on any roadcars.The R26B however,is used in the Le Mans winning car,the Mazda 787B

- D i a b l o -

500 RPM
Sep 27, 2005
Shah Alam
bosstrain.blogspot.com
oh ya,the diffrence between in 13B and 20/26B is the displacement and the number of rotors.

13B has 2 rotors,20B has 3 and 26B have 4 rotors respectively.They might be more difference,but those are the main difference

HanJackaL

1,000 RPM
Dec 8, 2004
PJ
- D i a b l o - said:
oh ya,the diffrence between in 13B and 20/26B is the displacement and the number of rotors.

13B has 2 rotors,20B has 3 and 26B have 4 rotors respectively.They might be more difference,but those are the main difference

Thanks for responses everyone.If i buy a 1993-1995 FD,can i rebuild it to 20B ?Or must i buy the whole 20B halfcut (which i am assuming is VERY hard to find) ?If i just stick to 13B,is it possible to get 400 WHP without sacrificing reliability?Oh ya,and how do i do a compression test?

I have alot of faith in rotary because i love the way the engine works.And since rotary has fewer moving parts,i believe that it will be as reliable as a normal engine with proper care.I mean,even a normal car will break down if you want to cheap out on black oil and only change it once every year.=P

And since everyone of my friends are laughing at me for considering an RX,its a challenge to make it a reliable and powerfull car.My friends telling me that my car will be in workshop more than i can drive it,and i will have to take bus to work every morning cause no car to use ! =/

Based on your experiences with RX7 FD3S,is it true that my car will be in workshop more often than i drive it to replace spoilt parts or for maintanence ?If i just practice "common sense" maintanence routines such as changing black oil often,make sure my car has enough fuel and proper warming up and engine cooling,will car break down on me often ?

Lets say i change black oil every 3,000 KM,my car has enough fuel and i use high end cooling systems,i hope someone can tell me the problems i will often encounter,how often do i need to rebuild engine (how many KM) and how much will it cost each time.And how do i know when to rebuild it?Will i need to wait till car completely breaks down before sending it for rebuilding ? The only thing that scares me now is that i MIGHT have to send my car for rebuilding once a month or something.A normal performance car needs overhauling only after about 50,000 KM or more.If RX7 FD3S needs rebuilding every 5000 KM or so,then THATS scary !!!!! =P

Oh btw,my driving style is spirited when the roads have alot of cars,and during wee hours of morning when roads are empty,i am a bit aggresive..(red line first 3 gears quite often)

Finally,some people tell me that when the RX8 come out with turbo,RX7 FD3S will be phased out and it will be hard to find parts and car will be worthless.Any opinions on this ?They said RX7 FD3S will be forgotten just like the Savanna and other older generation RXs.

Thanks guys !

Last edited:

- D i a b l o -

500 RPM
Sep 27, 2005
Shah Alam
bosstrain.blogspot.com
HanJackaL said:
Thanks for responses everyone.If i buy a 1993-1995 FD,can i rebuild it to 20B ?Or must i buy the whole 20B halfcut (which i am assuming is VERY hard to find) ?If i just stick to 13B,is it possible to get 400 WHP without sacrificing reliability?Oh ya,and how do i do a compression test?

I have alot of faith in rotary because i love the way the engine works.And since rotary has fewer moving parts,i believe that it will be as reliable as a normal engine with proper care.I mean,even a normal car will break down if you want to cheap out on black oil and only change it once every year.=P

And since everyone of my friends are laughing at me for considering an RX,its a challenge to make it a reliable and powerfull car.My friends telling me that my car will be in workshop more than i can drive it,and i will have to take bus to work every morning cause no car to use ! =/

Based on your experiences with RX7 FD3S,is it true that my car will be in workshop more often than i drive it to replace spoilt parts or for maintanence ?If i just practice "common sense" maintanence routines such as changing black oil often,make sure my car has enough fuel and proper warming up and engine cooling,will car break down on me often ?

Lets say i change black oil every 3,000 KM,my car has enough fuel and i use high end cooling systems,i hope someone can tell me the problems i will often encounter,how often do i need to rebuild engine (how many KM) and how much will it cost each time.And how do i know when to rebuild it?Will i need to wait till car completely breaks down before sending it for rebuilding ? The only thing that scares me now is that i MIGHT have to send my car for rebuilding once a month or something.A normal performance car needs overhauling only after about 50,000 KM or more.If RX7 FD3S needs rebuilding every 5000 KM or so,then THATS scary !!!!! =P

Oh btw,my driving style is spirited when the roads have alot of cars,and during wee hours of morning when roads are empty,i am a bit aggresive..(red line first 3 gears quite often)

Finally,some people tell me that when the RX8 come out with turbo,RX7 FD3S will be phased out and it will be hard to find parts and car will be worthless.Any opinions on this ?They said RX7 FD3S will be forgotten just like the Savanna and other older generation RXs.

Thanks guys !

I say this is total bullshit.the FD3S is allready phased out and its still here.Let me explain that the RX-8 was never meant to replace the RX-7 FD.Its a total different catergory.

and no way.5000km then rebuild? jump off building man like that..lolz
spirited driving is suitable for FD's as the rotary engines literally begs for you to push it hard most of the time..considering good maintanence and everything.

HanJackaL

1,000 RPM
Dec 8, 2004
PJ
Why is the RX8 in a different category ? I know the RX7 is perfect for drag racing and its powerfull.The RX8 is not for Rally because its rear wheel drive,then what is it for ?Just driving around in a luxurious sports car that does not deliver much potential for power ? For the newbie who just wants a decent looking and performing car with good features and comfort ?Where else RX7 is for the more hardcore enthusiast ?

- D i a b l o -

500 RPM
Sep 27, 2005
Shah Alam
bosstrain.blogspot.com
Why is it in the different catergory? lol its because they try to take different segment of the market and satisfy different customers?

Major difference,take a look at the approach taken by Mazda.RX-7 is a coupe,RX-8 is a fourdoor.

From my take,RX-8 was never about power.Its about compliance,overall balance rather then kick ass power.Why do i say this? I've driven both,so i can say i know some bit that the RX-8 can eat up the 7's on normal roads.

If you want something that is well balanced,the 8' should on top of your book.Also,not to mention..the comfort level on a stock RX-8 can eat up any RX-7 FD
right now.Its so good,that even renowned Jeremy Clarkson said its as comfortable as continental saloons.What better praise can the car get?

Lastly,why Mazda meant if for a different audience? I say thats because they are bring the new RX-7 out,thus being their flagship model for their finest performance machine.

Put it this way,you got a wife and 2 kids and you love rotary.You want to enjoy going to Sepang and have fun getting smoked by any of our resident FD's but also have real fun driving it around town,country roads that have varied condition,bumps and all the things malaysian road has?

Which make better sense?the 8 or 7?

Unless you're the one who dont mind having some discomfort driving,but want maximum performance and a ticket to owning in Sepang.Your call.

alexklg

4,000 RPM
Feb 13, 2006
www.zerotohundred.com
noooo... dun get a FD yet... dun fight with me... XP j/k

I'm thinking of getting a FD/FC in the near future. One of my friend owns one. and his ride is sweet... can't wait to get one and join da club..

The 8 should have a newer and improved suspension which will give more ride comfort than the 7 given that technology is much more advanced than the 90s... thus more ride comfort without sacrificing much of its handling. If i'm not wrong the handling for the 8 is quite good (Jeremy Clarkson did thrash the car around Top Gear's track)

I have friends who also said those things to me just like your friends did. This is because they do not know the whole picture. I've been constantly reading ZTH rotary section for the past 4 months... and all the knowledge i'd obtain from the sifus here made me make up my mind to get myself a FC/FD...

FYI, RERider is selling off his ride (FD3S). Check out the latest motortrader. The one with a 2 tone coloured FD is his.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi All,
Just wondering, if Tufoil is "the worlds slipperiest" lubricant, then is it possible for me to use it outside of cars, like on my sliding doors and windows?

Or does Tufoil require an oil to become slippery?

If my Tufoil leaks onto the road from my engine, will other cars skid on it? :p

Thanks
Drake
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience