RX7 related questions

lychee57

Known Member
Jan 5, 2007
Can anyone answer the questions below?

1. what is the fuel consumption like? (RM/km)

2. how much do i need to pay for an ordinary service?

3. where can i service the car?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

jasonlel

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Johor Bahru
Visit site
Again! This question being ask lots and lots of time. Please use the "SEARCH" function.

Can someone DELETE this posting. Thanks a lot.

lychee57

Known Member
Jan 5, 2007
if the search engine was sensitvie enough, i would have done so!

elsm80

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
haha....

Fuel consumption : The more you pay, the more fun you get

Ordinary service: pretty affordable but frequency of every 3K km

Where: A trustworthy mechanic with decent amount of skill

lychee57

Known Member
Jan 5, 2007
it maybe vague.. but helpful.. what happened is that i have RM50k to spare and am thinking to get a RX7. but before that, just gotta make sure its a worthwhile purchase. anyway can it be used as a daily car?

jasonlel

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Johor Bahru
Visit site
Newbie!

Goto Sticky Thread and read the following first!
Re faq
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/re-club-malaysia/121153-re-faq.html

Rotary Engine no good lah
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/re-club-malaysia/35872-rotary-engine-no-good-lah.html

Essential RX maintenance & modifications
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/re-club-malaysia/49387-essential-rx-maintenance.html

Some tips using the search engine
  1. Use correct key words
  2. Show results as "Posts" then use the FIND function provided by IE/Mozilla to search for the key word you want. It would be much faster.
Good luck!

By the way, if you want to buy a FD, i would say don't be to worried on the fuel consumption side, coz is going to be heavy anyway.

if the search engine was sensitvie enough, i would have done so!

Last edited:

jasonlel

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Johor Bahru
Visit site
I drive it everyday to work, no problem at all.

it maybe vague.. but helpful.. what happened is that i have RM50k to spare and am thinking to get a RX7. but before that, just gotta make sure its a worthwhile purchase. anyway can it be used as a daily car?

lychee57

Known Member
Jan 5, 2007
thanks jason.

will try. is it fair to say that the consumption is about RM0.30/km looking at the current petrol price?

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
Dear Lychee57,

You are encouraged to spend more time with SEARCH Function:

1. what is the fuel consumption like? (RM/km)
My fuel consumption = RM0.36 per KM (no massive traffic jam, current fuel prices)

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/re-club-malaysia/121153-re-faq.html

2. how much do i need to pay for an ordinary service?
Define "ordinary service".

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/re-club-malaysia/49387-essential-rx-maintenance.html

3. where can i service the car?
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/re-club-malaysia/38016-list-of-rotary-garage.html

Last edited:

theseira

Known Member
Oct 18, 2006
Get the RX7......you won't regret. If u can afford it, get a Kancil for your daily driver. Wanna go shopping with the GF or your mom to the mall and maybe the regular trips to the grocery store.....use the Kancil. Remember....give the car enuff time to warm up before driving and enuff time to cool down before shutting down. Regular oil and filter changes will be good for the beast. Do a twice yearly flush of the cooling system with checks to the termostat and radiator. Make sure the fuel and oil pumps working....get temp gauges for the cooling and oil systems. Oil pressure gauge and a boost meter will be good. Do not over boost if car is close to stock. What the hell......just get the car. More rotorians....the merrier!!:shades_smile:

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
get first... we'll help to recomend later. later i'll post what to check before buying.

saru-kun

Known Member
Jan 4, 2004
PJ
saru-kun.blogspot.com
I be bored and am curious to see what I can get off the top of my head in 15 minutes time...

Reliability modifications:
Troubleshooting of twin turbo system, involving change to silicone vacuum hoses
-Fuel filter change
-A more effective radiator, considering our ambient temps in M'sia
-A larger stock mount intercooler, if you're considering boosting above stock levels(worth changing anyway since the stocker be microscopic in size)
-Downpipe to get rid of the precat whose sole purpose is to increase underhood temps and kill your motor
-Catback muffler
-Standalone APEXi PowerFC (by the time you're committed to purchase this, you'll know what its for =) )

Try not to assume the Rex to be a sort of 'buy-and-forget' supercar. Because of the inherent uniqueness of the Wankel motor and the fact that the car was developed by Mazda on a wee tight budget, you get a fantastic car with quite a list of hiccups and niggles and faults. Nothing major, just requiring an owner who is a little more committed to the car's well-being. (That includes spending truckloads of money on the car, unfortunately)

As far as fuel consumption goes, compare it with other performance cars. Do not be misled by the 1.3 labelling. Bullshit. You're getting circa 250 horsies from the motor. That has to come from somewhere. Look in the ballpark region of having fuel consumption to a modified Evo or something like that. 13btt used to drive his seven daily. Maybe he'll chime in with some real world feedback.

And last but not least. Read up. Join the gatherings. The RE bunch are an extremely nice bunch of people, not to mention helpful as well. I should know. They welcome a noob like me without a car hehehehe

Do drop by places like www.rx7club.com, Nopistons.com Rotary Engine Forum, mazdarotaryclub.com - Powered by vBulletin and Welcome to Ausrotary.com. There be tonnes of information for you to digest. And yes... the search button works. Big reason most members are frustrated at answering questions like yours is that they have been asked many times over. Don't take it to heart.

Welcome to the world of the RX7. Your massively discounted thoroughbred sportscar with potential to haul ass and kick random Porsche's ass as well.

Now buy me one =D

Cheers

lychee57

Known Member
Jan 5, 2007
thank you for the advice. i certainly need one of you guys to follow me for viewing. cos i dont know jack about the RE. but am trying to read up as much as i can now. any idea how much do i need to pay for the 99 spec bumper plus sprayin job?

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
that's one of my wish list as well... the bumper will cost range from 2000 to 2200.. including the lights...
spraying cost 500...
so.... expensive... :) for a bumper..

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys.

Im looking at Clifford, Viper and Commando.
Most important feature for me is 2-way, shock sensor and starter kill.
I dont need remote start since its merely a luxury but not a necessity though the brands above carry this feature.

What d'ya think?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience