Proton Wira 1.8 DOHC Limited Edition

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
I am refering to the once come with Recaro Seat, Momo Steering, ABS and Mitsubishi Chasis, not to forget the Tiang Gol :D

1. Izzit still worst to buy LE since the car already mencecah 10 tahun and won't able to get loan anymore if sell out later.

2. To be frank i knew LE is one of the Proton that dun have really good resell market (in fact can call very bad)...for a year 96, if used car angkat put around Rm24-26K max...selling market price is about Rm30-32K i believe ??

3. How's the maintenance of the car, i meant in term of spare part cost and life spend for spare part compare to a 1.5 carby ?? Another 30% more? I knew you guys will said since the car have such age alot of thing wear and tear....but the rate izzit higher then SOHC engine (tappet sound the first)

4. What is the fuel consumption for LE compare to my current 1.5 carby. My current old junk give me around Rm360-380KM for RM50 (it's kinda of cekit leher for me after the fuel price gone up)...

5. I am a very careful driver that care car so much...my current old junk NEVER rev more then 4K RPM from the time i bought the car 5 years ago. Actually got lah but (Max 5K RPM) but it's like less then 5-8 times. I ALWAYS change gear at 2-3.5K RPM..most 4K RPM...i hate drag gear. So if really get hold of the LE.....how ?? ( i am lost now ;) dunno what suppose to ask)

6. Does LE have the same rust problem like others Proton especially the ROOF, Doors and Bonnet ? Shouldn't be LE have better QC compare to others Proton. Or izzit the main different is have better chasis, abs, suspension, interior only ??

7. If i really get this car and will intent to keep for at least 3-5 years, maybe even more but can the car last me that long in term of engine (body hard to tell ) ?? If let said i sell this car when it's at the 15 years old....will it only worth RM15K ??

9. I know DOHC engine HP will come in later compare to SOHC, and i believed torque also izzit ? So am i "qualify" to get DOHC since i don't like high rev yet i want earlier pickup ??

PLS COMMENT !!

Last edited:

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
No one can help ar ? ;)

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
i don't think i understand you questions also lar brother...

if hati & tangan gatal then go have a look.

But frankly, for me, it's not worth the price quoted by the owner lar..

lozo

500 RPM
Sep 26, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
it is a very nice car, feels solid, fast too. according to the c99 owners, the 4G93P rocks but problems easily emerged. regarding the body condition, it depends how the owner took care about it, as most LE owners really sayang their cars due to its rareness.

if i'm not mistaken, the peak torque is around 5500rpm, which is quite high for normal daily driving, but since it is 1.8 liters in displacement, the amount of torque produced at low rpm's is adequate..(more than enough!) for daily driving.

i've driven before, but couldn't afford to own one. can't tell about the maintenance of the car. i can say is that, this LE gives me a totally different experience from the other proton's lineup.

ambayah

1,000 RPM
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
It's a matter of personal preference. Do you like it? Gatal to get it? Then get it ;)

From my point of view, since it's an old ar, and the price is of course slightly higher than normal wiras, i'd always prefer a newer wira 1.6.

MitonCT26

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Seremban
if someone offers you one C99 and quoted that price, it's reasonable.

2 months ago i was searching high and low for ONE of these babies but sadly, it is either sold or it is quoted way up the market price. Rare items, biasa lah.

as a homologated car, it is actually quite stronger in chassis and built compared to others. This is NOT A RUMOR.

you can get quite a high loan as some banks recognise this model. some just dismiss it as another wira 1.8 SOHC like ambank.

my vote? go for it. it's older but still, it's not like typical wira saga or iswara. the engine is quite bulletproof (except some clicks and clacks on the tappet) and its parts is quite reasonable. PE and EON service centres actually got promotion during festive seasons for timing belt change etc. etc. etc.

ok wat. if you duwan gimme a PM. i buy that car straightaway if it's in good condition and satisfy my choosy and picky needs. :D

CieMen

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Tmn Esplanade
Visit site
MitonCT26 said:
if someone offers you one C99 and quoted that price, it's reasonable.

2 months ago i was searching high and low for ONE of these babies but sadly, it is either sold or it is quoted way up the market price. Rare items, biasa lah.

as a homologated car, it is actually quite stronger in chassis and built compared to others. This is NOT A RUMOR.

you can get quite a high loan as some banks recognise this model. some just dismiss it as another wira 1.8 SOHC like ambank.

my vote? go for it. it's older but still, it's not like typical wira saga or iswara. the engine is quite bulletproof (except some clicks and clacks on the tappet) and its parts is quite reasonable. PE and EON service centres actually got promotion during festive seasons for timing belt change etc. etc. etc.

ok wat. if you duwan gimme a PM. i buy that car straightaway if it's in good condition and satisfy my choosy and picky needs. :D
hahaha...still wanna get this car ?

Tot you oredi satisfied. No more racing.

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
i own a 96 wira LE.

i have currently 330,000km + on the car.

its my daily use car, as well as my track day car, and autocross car. so revving to 7500rpm is normal.

everything is standard except for rims, suspension, brakes, exhaust, filter, throttle body and sound system ;)

with a full tank of 50 litres, i average 450km-550km mixed and highway driving everytime.

car has only run on mineral oils, and standard plugs. there is some tappet noise, but goes away once warmed up.

engine has never broken down. and never opened.

main items changed, 1 starter motor, 1 aircon compressor, 1 radiator belt, 1 throttle body, 1 set plug cables, 1 power steering pump. 2 cv joints.. tie road arms..etc.. nothing really major, and maintenance is pretty low. most of the parts seem strong and last well.

rust is standard ;) mine has rust on the roof, thats thanks to proton, as all models that period have the same problems coz of the bad sealant they used.

Last edited:

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
5. I am a very careful driver that care car so much...my current old junk NEVER rev more then 4K RPM from the time i bought the car 5 years ago. Actually got lah but (Max 5K RPM) but it's like less then 5-8 times. I ALWAYS change gear at 2-3.5K RPM..most 4K RPM...i hate drag gear. So if really get hold of the LE.....how ?? ( i am lost now ;) dunno what suppose to ask)

7. If i really get this car and will intent to keep for at least 3-5 years, maybe even more but can the car last me that long in term of engine (body hard to tell ) ?? If let said i sell this car when it's at the 15 years old....will it only worth RM15K ??

9. I know DOHC engine HP will come in later compare to SOHC, and i believed torque also izzit ? So am i "qualify" to get DOHC since i don't like high rev yet i want earlier pickup ??

PLS COMMENT !![/QUOTE]

9. its the same engine as the putra, and gti..etc. its not a high revving vtec. its got a very flat torque curve, and still makes more torque at any RPM than a 1.5 carby. if you drive this car, you will realise that you are always in a higher gear then when you drive in a 1.5. 3rd when you usually use 2nd..etc.

5.btw, engines are designed to rev all the way to the redline. revving halfway does not make your engine last any longer. its a combination.. good maintenance is more important imho.

7. you're buying a car lah, not a house.. hehe. sure lose money wan. and the price would not fall to 15 k i think. if it does, then iswaras the same age of the wira should be selling at 5k.. even 20 yr old cars dont sell at 5 k. ;)

ImAn

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
g88 go for it!!!! i support u from the back. just call me if u need help

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
Thank you thank all for the great advice !! Appreciate very much.

Iman sifu, thanks for your great support as well :D

Here's the update :
Even i am very ichy for this model for quite sometime and been keep searching high low when found one but this is year 96 selling at RM38K and price NON-Neg at all.
To me this price i can already go for a year 99-2001 1.8 DOHC ( I knew it's not Limited Edition and some even running on Siemens ECU) but the great point is still there....1.8 DOHC :p...just wondering this non-LE izzit still running on C99 chasis with ABS ??

No doubt Recaro Seat and Momo Steering is nice but then since the car already coming 10 years so i expect won't be so good condition.

Pls don't flame me....just telling my logic ;)

SePaT

1,000 RPM
Jan 8, 2004
honda oso got tiang gol mehh.. ekkeekekek

gsr

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
PJ
Visit site
g88 said:
To me this price i can already go for a year 99-2001 1.8 DOHC ( I knew it's not Limited Edition and some even running on Siemens ECU) but the great point is still there....1.8 DOHC :p...just wondering this non-LE izzit still running on C99 chasis with ABS ??

No doubt Recaro Seat and Momo Steering is nice but then since the car already coming 10 years so i expect won't be so good condition.
hehe.... mine's written LE on the reg card (PERT edition)
running on 1st gen MMC step 0 ECU, c99 chassis, ABS, momo race stuff + other goodies I added myself :)
no recaro but comes standard with full leather upholstery

wanna buy mine.....? kekeke :p

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
2 things u got that other wira cant give

1. 1.8 DOHC that powers you to 210km/h
2. ABS.

fyi all wira and satria using 1.8 capacity displacement is known as C99. others are C96 for 1.3, C97 for 1.5 petrol/2.0 diesel, and C98 for 1.6. the following codes will differ to show you whether it is a sedan, aeroback or satria, LHD or RHD and so on and so forth.

for example PLI1C98MNRSB123456 shows this is a satria 1.6 assembled at shah alam.

PLIC96MNRSC123456 shows it is a satria 1.3 assembled at Pekan.

PL1C97LNRRB123456 shows it is a Wira 1.5 aeroback.

i like this car as many people understated it as normal wira especially at highways. can also makan small engined merc like E200 or E220(heavy, underpowered) and newer cars that has cut off at 180km/h.

it was sold about 65-70K back then in the 90s, too close to perdana GL/SEi, which was the main reason why it is known as Limited Edition.

Proton needed to produced Wira 1.8 in some numbers as a homologation required by FIA to enter local rallies.

Last edited:

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
gsr said:
hehe.... mine's written LE on the reg card (PERT edition)
running on 1st gen MMC step 0 ECU, c99 chassis, ABS, momo race stuff + other goodies I added myself :)
no recaro but comes standard with full leather upholstery

wanna buy mine.....? kekeke :p
your is the reproduce 1.8 version in year 99 ? Coming in apple green colour izzit ?? How much you wanna let go ? pls post pic ....

What mod have you done as well ?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

I need help from you guys. I'm trying to find 2nd hand woofer or sub woofer and CD + MP3 player. Can you guys help me on that?

Thanks,

Regards,
ajis2040
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience