Modifying stock airbox

kapitan

Known Member
Dec 29, 2003
Visit site
depend on how much you want to sell first...
although im very interested to get the item so that i can get rid of the throttle sound, but also haf to see my pocket first...

lawrencelyl

Known Member
Oct 22, 2004
Penang
www.intel.com
my location in melaka wor... :P
anyway, better for me to keep it first until my car warranty over... haha
in case something wrong then i can change it back and claimed warranty...:P

servo

Known Member
Jan 13, 2004
sharing some info..... :D ..........

For everyone that swears that a CAI is not worth while on our cars and that the stock airbox can supply enough air needed, I did a test. I have the EVO CAI and I wanted to try out my modfied airbox. I shaved the top of the box, cleared the bottom of it, added a 3.5" expensive hose to the box from the front of the car, and added an ITG. Well guess what, it pounded the EVO into the ground like a fence stake. No more EVO for me. I am only going to show the airmass but the hp is higher as well, by 3 - 5 hp over the EVO from a block 120.

Stock Box w/ stock filter, smoothed inners = 172 g/s
Stock Box w/ stock filter, smoothed inners, ram hose = 177 g/s
EVO CAI = 178 g/s
Stock Box w/ ITG, smoothed inners, ram hose = 184 g/s

Stock Box Top

Smoothed Stock Box, used dremel, sand paper, and love

Hose with to much space

Hose with filled in edges using insulation tape, the wire was removed so entrance was smoother later.

Isulation tape from home Depot

Bottom box with edges removed, water gate cut, and engine intake sealed

Front mount hose

bcteh

Dec 4, 2005
I got one idea, get it from your vacumm cleaner :biggrin:

yeongk said:
Where can i get those hose ;) ... i mean which shop selling this hose ... i ask the hardware shop before and they didn't sell it ... :(

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
whatdamn said:
just my opinion,

don't use knn or the hks (mushroom) filter. use the apexi power intake.

ok knn u need to maintain, hks also need maintainence, and it isn't exactly cheap. whereas the apexi one, all u have to do is at every service just blow high pressure air into the filter and it's good to go again! (it cannot come in contact with water or else ur screwed!)

ok, filteration quality, hks is THE WORST! meant for really track cars or if u hardly use ur car as a daily driver. apexi has better filteration quality than the knn one because, apexi is not oil based and does not need the oil to help in trapping the dirt while sucking in air.

bottom line, go for the apexi power intake.

i felt the difference, not only in a nicer growl from my engine but my 0-100km/h time improved by 4.3 seconds! if that isn't good...i don't know what is.

oh and also, don't buy those 6" open pods for ur car cause u MIGHT feel a slight lag...just like turbo haha. cause ur engine is not that capable of sucking in HUGE ammounts of air at a time.

hope this helps. i'd be glad to answer anymore questions on this filter :)
Did u say u got 4.3 seconds off your 0-100km/h time? Wow! What car do u drive by the way?

ethanphoon592

Known Member
May 11, 2005
Petaling Jaya
Guys,

very useful info, anyone has any ideas about improving the stock Gen2 airbox? so far the stock airbox has a trunk that extends all the way to the front, (same like waja) only think is that it still need a decent amount of air volume, so i'm thinking of opening some holes at the back of the airbox, but i'm only affraid that it will suck in hotair, thinking of opening 50cent size holes..any comments?

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
ethanphoon592 said:
Guys,

very useful info, anyone has any ideas about improving the stock Gen2 airbox? so far the stock airbox has a trunk that extends all the way to the front, (same like waja) only think is that it still need a decent amount of air volume, so i'm thinking of opening some holes at the back of the airbox, but i'm only affraid that it will suck in hotair, thinking of opening 50cent size holes..any comments?
u're gonna drill holes in ur airbox ? dun do that weih... :eek:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, my car recently reach its 100k mark. Been a very good car, but the engine has a little noise and vibration lately. Just so happen i found a reasonable solution, and went to my local Tesco store and grab a bottle of Tufoil.

So here are a couple of question before using it,

1) Would 1 bottle be enough for my 2.4 liter engine?
2) Is there any Precautions before using?
3) Instead of using half a bottle for the subsequent change, could i use the whole bottle (silly question)...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience