Modifying stock airbox

lawrencelyl

Known Member
Oct 22, 2004
Penang
www.intel.com
Airflow of stock airbox is quite restricted. Thus, thinking of how to improve the airflow. Found out this website which basically modifying the stock airbox by removing all the pipings before the airbox and cut the airbox to make bigger hole for easier air suction.
URL: http://www.blytz.addr.com/howto/stockbox.html

I did mine similar to the website...
Result is lighter rev but noisier (sounds like open pod).
However, there're several issues for this mod:
1) Heat from engine (need proper heatshield).
2) Possibility of water entering air filter.
3) Noise (loud air suction sound).

FYI, i'm using stock Proton air filter and i'm not cutting my original airbox. Went to chop shop to get another airbox and cut it... i keep the original airbox :P

1st pic:

EG9wannabe

Known Member
Sep 7, 2004
change standard paper filter with K&N .. better filteration ..

if yu afraid water to drip onto the filter .. cover the top part with sunshed .. bikin nice nice wan .. like I did mine ..

szekeiemme

3,000 RPM
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
check out edwards aka et5828.. is did sumthin like dat.. but his doesnt need cutting.. eheehhe check out de CAI thread

lawrencelyl

Known Member
Oct 22, 2004
Penang
www.intel.com
yeap... saw the pic of et5828 filter...
For my case, can't do like what he did coz no support on the air filter + the piping after the air filter. The airbox before the air filter is screwed to the car body to support both the air filter and the piping after the air filter. Hope you understand what i'm trying to say... hehe :P

lawrencelyl

Known Member
Oct 22, 2004
Penang
www.intel.com
Originally posted by EG9wannabe@Dec 30 2004, 15:03
change standard paper filter with K&N .. better filteration ..

if yu afraid water to drip onto the filter .. cover the top part with sunshed .. bikin nice nice wan .. like I did mine ..
wait until i have money to change to replacement air filter :P
later maybe will use SuperLon to do heatsheild...

szekeiemme

3,000 RPM
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by lawrencelyl@Dec 30 2004, 15:17
yeap... saw the pic of et5828 filter...
For my case, can't do like what he did coz no support on the air filter + the piping after the air filter. The airbox before the air filter is screwed to the car body to support both the air filter and the piping after the air filter. Hope you understand what i'm trying to say... hehe :P
yup.. i read 2 times den oni i understand.. ehehhee... er... if use K&N rite... its oil based... i scared de oil will dry out faster...

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
is it possible to relocate the fuse box? If it's possible, then a bigger hose (3") can be used for CAI purpose. That will suppress the noise too.

alantan

3,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
kl
Visit site
another way is you don;t have to cut out..just drill some small holes...let say 6 holes?

that will also allow more air to go in already..

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
i have got myself a role of 3" (or probably 3.5", need to confirm) flexi hose like those ninja sells. I am thinking or relocating the fuse box, re-frab the airbox to a bigger opening, and CAI it to the back of the right bumper (infront of the tire)... then seal any possible holes and gabs so that only air from the bumper grill can goes in...

hann

Sep 3, 2004
strange...everyone seems to think highly of K&N replacement filter. I have been using it for almost 2 years. I was sold to this product after reading from mags, listened to sales people with the "ping pong ball" demo. But I have not felt any improvement on the performance at all. Maybe need to see figures from dyno just to satisfy my curiosity. Probably open pod would be better.

my best result obtained from any mod is removal of cat ( 2nd gear can drag to 90kmh instead of 70+kmh in standard form).

another obvious result is with powerzone cam and extractor but the only drawback is the unstable idling. not sure whether due to siemens VDO or the cam.

this is just my personal view.

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
yes, the most obvious improvement mod (and the cheapest too) is the removal of the catalytic converter. But i believe most of us here are either drying of idea after all the possible (and practical mods), or simply want to preserve the air quality for a longer period..

;)

EG9wannabe

Known Member
Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by hann@Dec 30 2004, 17:53
strange...everyone seems to think highly of K&N replacement filter. I have been using it for almost 2 years. I was sold to this product after reading from mags, listened to sales people with the "ping pong ball" demo. But I have not felt any improvement on the performance at all. Maybe need to see figures from dyno just to satisfy my curiosity. Probably open pod would be better.

my best result obtained from any mod is removal of cat ( 2nd gear can drag to 90kmh instead of 70+kmh in standard form).

another obvious result is with powerzone cam and extractor but the only drawback is the unstable idling. not sure whether due to siemens VDO or the cam.

this is just my personal view.
using K&N is to getting cleaner air into the intake .. if yu wanna get performance, get HKS air flow .. but hafa sacrifice on fuel consumption and dust ..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Lai quoted me rm1430 for complete 3" non-stainless piping. this includes downpipe + resonator + midpipe + centerbox + endpipe. all Mandrel-bent joints. NO muffler.

wanna ask the more experienced members out there, is the price reasonable? if so, i would go get it done next month. thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience