Modifying cars raises safety risk

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Duke Red

2,000 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
Earth
It doesn't appear as though the author is totally against modifying cars but rather that he feels that modders should be given the proper guidance by the shop operator. If putting on a pair of Boeing 777 wings is more of a disadvantage, the patron should be told.

Mr. Eng is proud of his profession and i've no doubt he knows more about mechanical engineering that I do. In a way, I can empathise with him. Some cars are tuned and balance to perfection but some brain surgeons choose to upset this balance by adding bigger rims and so on. This decreases the performance the vehicle. If he were to have it his way, I'm pretty sure Mr. Eng would want any modder to be a qualified engineer so they know the pros and cons of any alterations.

In summary, the message I got from his letter is he feels car modding is a serious matter and we shouldn't be allowed to do as we please without the proper guidance as most of us are not qualified to determine the effects of such modifications.

FYI, I drive a modded car and am not against modding. I do however like to find out the side effects of any modification.

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Joeker said:
I think people who goes about telling other people they are engineers are really full of themselves.

Secondly, I would advise Mr. Ng to do a research about Car Modding before he calls it "an insult to engineers if car modding is considered a hobby".

From his statements, it is evident Mr Ng is ignorant and hardly knows anything about Car modding Industry and the business car modding generates.
he apparently have not seen some of the home-brewed "engineers" in the usa/japan mod their cars.
salesman by day, "engineer" by night:X-:

btw, imho, his talk about natural frequency is over exaggerated. For one, every car/engine was designed to accommodate a band of frequencies which it's own engine is likely to be in. in the first place, no two engines vibrate alike. factor in your road vibrations and air turbulence, it makes the frequency more unpredictable. Hence the reason why there is a need for tolerance while choosing the dampers/seats. and usually, the amplitude of this frequency is so low that it "should"not cause any stress on any metal.(unless you are really unlucky, but then,shit happens, it just sucks to be you)

if a car is unable to accommodate even the slightest frequency change, it would not even survive the trip from the factory to the owner's house.

do note we are not talking about putting a deep rumbling V8 into a kancil here.

any qualified engineers here that could back-up my statement?
*btw, not much use submitting anything to the star, they are obviously biased, and would not even publish nor reply even after I wrote 3 articles on various subjects.

Last edited:

2zzge

500 RPM
Aug 2, 2005
kl
mahai now i worried la........later government really come out law cannot mod car

the whole world also can mod car
malaysia also cannot
haiz

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Duke Red said:
It doesn't appear as though the author is totally against modifying cars but rather that he feels that modders should be given the proper guidance by the shop operator. If putting on a pair of Boeing 777 wings is more of a disadvantage, the patron should be told.

Mr. Eng is proud of his profession and i've no doubt he knows more about mechanical engineering that I do. In a way, I can empathise with him. Some cars are tuned and balance to perfection but some brain surgeons choose to upset this balance by adding bigger rims and so on. This decreases the performance the vehicle. If he were to have it his way, I'm pretty sure Mr. Eng would want any modder to be a qualified engineer so they know the pros and cons of any alterations.

In summary, the message I got from his letter is he feels car modding is a serious matter and we shouldn't be allowed to do as we please without the proper guidance as most of us are not qualified to determine the effects of such modifications.

FYI, I drive a modded car and am not against modding. I do however like to find out the side effects of any modification.
He has points, as you pointed out.

But it is the way he put it that sounds so wrong. What would people think reading that? They would think that car modification is the work of Satan.

Like I said, these people are barking up the wrong tree. Instead of blaming the whole car modding scene, they should point out the wrong do'ers who are giving the rest a bad name. Plus, instead of trying to put a stop to car modding, think of ways to make it better. Encourage it and point it towards the correct direction. For this we need regulations and enforcement of course.

escaflowne

1,000 RPM
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Yup..agree with duke red and boggy. As what boggy said..there is a tolerance for the vibration band.My pov is that...car modification IS a hobby..and it is not an "easy" hobby as most of the ah beng thought.It require knowledge in physics,material,experience and trial and eror.With proper guided modification,i dun see it is a safety risk to the public.

Very simple...
Scenario one:
Kancil..big rear gt-wing.L2 halfcut boost 1.5 bar.so called 150+hp generated.Now this is a safety risk to the public.The modification done is more than the car able to handle on road.Pure "yo i am fking fast..i can speed up to 200km.h with my sang kancil yo"

Scenario two:
Kancil...balance suspension setting.Stage2 NA mod..proper set up exhaust which consider the decibel level that it generate.etc
Now this sort of modification is acceptable as in the car still able to handle on road,SAFE.Owner syok..everyone happy.

And for the statment of the mr "engineer" ...try explain nismo,trd,ralliart,brabus,haman,impul,wald.etc...haha i think he read too much book and try to throw out his "knowledge" to show that he is superior.

Hahah..."engineer no need die arr"..<<<good one man!!!

Mod safe and clever NOT stupid mod without research.It is a hobby that require a lot of research...knowledge.A gt-wing won't generate enuff downforce for a kancil to compensate the instability....consider the speed that little fellow can travel.lol

Last edited:

escaflowne

1,000 RPM
May 4, 2004
Visit site
If we meet the fellow..i'm sure gonna just quote your words man...send him blasted 400m away within 10second .Now this is the art of car modification..
ahahahahahhahaha

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
sorry guys me so boring i felt like giving him a piece of my mind too.
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/27/focus/13503281&sec=focus
I think it is rather silly of K. Dhillon to come up with an unfounded hypothesis that “spending more money modifying cars will cut down drug usage.”
Honestly i do agree abit on this, i do see those who mod cars keep on smoking. but on the other hand, Mr. Ng here can't prove that not a single smoker do cut down on cigarettes.

For my case, i cut down on alchohol alot, and no more pasar malam vcd for me anymore.. so is that a good thing? :_:

First of all, if a typical Ah Beng can afford to spend RM10,000 modifying a humble Kancil into a Batmobile look-alike, what makes you think he can't afford to spend a few ringgit more on cigarettes?
what makes him think that they didn't cut down (heavy smoker that do 3pack a day, like a friend of mine did) abit on cigarattes supply?
Car modification is not a hobby. In fact, being an engineer myself, I find it would be an insult to my profession to call it a hobby.
let me guess, a civil engineer :regular_smile: accusing racing engineers from TRD or HKS or Blitz alike for manufacturing performance parts as an insult to all engineers? so, being a software engineer (still study tho) then microsoft S.E will accuse me cuz i insult all softare engineers by working for Sun doing Java?

Mr. Ng here also insulted profesional graphic and model designers who design bodykits with his statement.

The reason car manufacturers like Toyota and Honda spend millions investing in R&D is to develop vehicles that are reliable, safe and roadworthy.
he's missing out the word "economical" and most important of all "cost cutting"
What makes you think that some backyard mechanics in Balakong have that sort of capability in modifying a car while ensuring it is still roadworthy?
one of my mechanic used to train at japan and work with UMW as a chief mech at a local service station until he's retired. I know he doesn't do transplant now (he used to), cuz he's old now, got grandson, and he dun wan later you got problem you blame him.

so.. even a veteran ex chief mech isn't against it, who's this Mr. Ng ar? chief chief boss ojiisan engineer izit?

From an engineering point of view, modifying certain parts of a vehicle will always carry certain effects to other parts.
thats why we got more powerful engine always need to change the brakes, suspension, bushing lar.. whatever.. so what's his point?

For example, changing the whole engine may alter the natural frequency of the car, which in turn may cause serious vibrations and lead to metal fatigues.
whats the diff with a stock old proton???:retarded:
Installing a rear spoiler to a Kancil not only makes the driver look like a complete idiot, it will create additional downward force, which in turn will wear out the tires much faster, and also adds unnecessary stress to the absorbers.
those who put so many dolls and hello kitties at the back of the kancil is creating more "downforce" lar bro.. heavier... and more dangerous cuz you can't see behind.
Bottom line is, without proper engineering consideration, these motorists are simply compromising on the safety of the vehicle, not to mention the risk they are putting on other road users as well.
wtf?? didn't he know most of us do extensive research of our own on technical stuff before we go do a transplant?? extra risk on other road users??? wtf, and 80 year old driving 20km/h on the fast lane is not? once i almost hit an elderly who drive like 20-30km/h on the fast lane when i'm doing 100kmh+ coming from behind.. damn i was lucky to brake in time, he's moving so slow i didn't notice there's a car in front.

In a nutshell, those who modify their cars for the fun of it are selfish people. They have no respect for other road users and laws.
what lar this Mr. Ng, total bullshit. but true lar.. sell fish until rich then mod car for fun lor.. then can transport fish to market faster, fresher so can sell for higher price again then get even richer and mod further..

haiyo.. this Mr. Ng.. no money mod ma say no money mod lor.. dun sour grape write letter to the sun condeming us car enthusiast lar...

escaflowne

1,000 RPM
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Quote:
In a nutshell, those who modify their cars for the fun of it are selfish people. They have no respect for other road users and laws.

I hate this part....bastard~

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Cut it short... engineers are a bunch of narrow-minded people... why? Because they always follow everything in the book n NEVER once think outside of the box.

Otherwise, they won't be engineers in the first place... :)

szekeiemme

3,000 RPM
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
engineer kiasu lah... they cant accept their stupid..wif this kinda brain.. de fella wont go ahead de rest also.. its like joining de bunch or "engineer" n not thinkin a way to standup and stand out among de rest..

engineer no need die ah... for him.. engineer eat incent 1 kahkah

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
si|verfish said:
Another bitter, misinformed, misguided fucker. Engineer no need to die ah.
He already died ma. Brain dead already. That's why the whatfuckingever that he wrong to The Star.
I want to put GT wing on my BMX. Trying to wear out my BMX tyres.

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
No...They r not true engineers...Engineers r meant to take up challenge n do research throughout their life... To find mistakes n improve. they ah...stick to wat teh book say. Book got mistake also after 1000 years also no ppl know.

They kia si 1....Ask them be businessman la. Good for them. Calculate risk all the time.

We cant jus post here... Those who can write well n knows a lot of facts should shoot back letters to the Star continuosly. We gotta 'repair' car enthusiasts' image.

white_bird

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2005
puchong
there r lot kinds of engineer u know.. like me.. "bullshit engineer"..from farking U... hahaha!! maybe he is too..

chek_corolla

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
szekeiemme said:
engineer kiasu lah... they cant accept their stupid..wif this kinda brain.. de fella wont go ahead de rest also.. its like joining de bunch or "engineer" n not thinkin a way to standup and stand out among de rest..

engineer no need die ah... for him.. engineer eat incent 1 kahkah
shit....now only i know i am going to be kiasu, n cant accept my stupidity. n i just knew that i gonna die too.....
as mech engineering student, we do follow the book, but just using the concept n idea to improve on almost everything.
if anyone of u guys r agaisnt engineers, come mon, pls dun drive or use comp or watever.....go back to flinstone age.
anyhow based on this topic, Mr Eng is total idiot n full of shit. he brought bad name to engineers. use proper parts for proper places is the key, let me ask u guys, who is using rubber hose on their fuel regulator? if u answer yes, then change the hoses to a steel braided one pls, ur car might catch on fire when it leaks or expands.

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
hu hu... me so sw engineer ohhh... create a new thread to bash myself ...kakaka..
just kidding... that guy must be Civil engineer ma...k not modify the road...hehehe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I had a Saga and had met an accident recently til the right side of the front bumper torn down a bit with the hood dented. A friend of mine who drove a Viva just now, just drove up a concrete pole leftover in the grass while parking and had the left side front bumper misaligned with minor scratches. So now, I'm asking sifus around if I am to make my car and my friend's around how much will it cost? One thing for sure, my bumper screw tube already pecah and so i suspect on my friend's car...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience