Modifying cars raises safety risk

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/27/focus/13503281&sec=focus

REFER to the letter, “Look at the positive side of modifying engines” (The Star, Feb 24).
I think it is rather silly of K. Dhillon to come up with an unfounded hypothesis that “spending more money modifying cars will cut down drug usage.”
First of all, if a typical Ah Beng can afford to spend RM10,000 modifying a humble Kancil into a Batmobile look-alike, what makes you think he can't afford to spend a few ringgit more on cigarettes?
Car modification is not a hobby. In fact, being an engineer myself, I find it would be an insult to my profession to call it a hobby.
The reason car manufacturers like Toyota and Honda spend millions investing in R&D is to develop vehicles that are reliable, safe and roadworthy.
What makes you think that some backyard mechanics in Balakong have that sort of capability in modifying a car while ensuring it is still roadworthy?
From an engineering point of view, modifying certain parts of a vehicle will always carry certain effects to other parts.
For example, changing the whole engine may alter the natural frequency of the car, which in turn may cause serious vibrations and lead to metal fatigues.
Installing a rear spoiler to a Kancil not only makes the driver look like a complete idiot, it will create additional downward force, which in turn will wear out the tires much faster, and also adds unnecessary stress to the absorbers.
Bottom line is, without proper engineering consideration, these motorists are simply compromising on the safety of the vehicle, not to mention the risk they are putting on other road users as well.
In a nutshell, those who modify their cars for the fun of it are selfish people. They have no respect for other road users and laws.

W.Y. NG,
Seremban.

Can ne one tell this guy that modifying cars is a hobby... if it is not hobby that what it is.... idiot.... why car modifiers is selfish?

W.Y NG is surely an idiot....

szekeiemme

3,000 RPM
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
hahahaa kancil wif spoiler will make tyre botak fasteR? ekkekethe kancil travelling on wut speed wo? F1 or faster?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
haha... kancil top speed also cannot generate enough downforce to wear out his tyre that fast la... even with stock car i also can make the tyre go botak fast... ebrake-dori dori.... hahaha....

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Another bitter, misinformed, misguided fucker. Engineer no need to die ah.

DimDimer

Known Member
Jan 10, 2005
Visit site
what engineer is he anyway? computer engineer? road engineer? building engineer? i bet he's no car engineer.

DimDimer

Known Member
Jan 10, 2005
Visit site
he phailed in enginerring by what he said. kancil where can travel so fast till the rear spoiler would have enuff power to push down the car and wears out the tyres. elf pwned.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
I'm really starting to get annoyed by these narrow minded motherfuckers who cannot accept other people doing things which they don't do.

My car is totally stock, but I can appreciate the car modification scene. It is a global phenomenon. I'm also a lover of automobiles. Apart from my dislike for distastefully modded cars (read "Beng") I have no problems with people making their cars better (good mods make your car better, bad mods make your car worse).

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
mayb he should go and tell HKS, Signal, Top Secret, Blitz and so on that they are idiots.... hahaha cos they are not Toyota, Mitsu or Honda ma... hehehe

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
" Engineer no need to die ah. "

That, I vote the Quote of the Month. :biggrin:

I wrote a letter in response to this to TheStar. I wonder if they will publish it...

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Most modern engines are now electronically fuel injected and have plastic engine covers, this makes engine cleaning much easier compared to older engines with carburetors. I will show you how you can easily clean and shine a modern car's engine bay using only 2 Over-the-Counter (OTC) products.

This is a quick guide showing you how to quickly get your engine bay looking like new again. This guide is more suited towards modern cars' engine bays.

So here have have an engine bay that has never...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience