Look at the positive side of modifying engines - (The Star)

sonictheory

2,000 RPM
Dec 10, 2004
Selangor, Malaysia
Visit site
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/24/focus/13471097&sec=focus

Look at the positive side of modifying engines

Recently there have been many complaints about youngsters modifying their cars into unrecognisable street monsters that terrorise other motorists and road users.
But don’t these complainants realise the huge amount of money these youngsters have actually invested in their cars?
A typical engine modification would probably cost about RM10,000. That’s RM10,000 worth of drugs kept off the streets.
A pack of cigarettes cost about RM9. Divide RM10,000 by that and you get 1,111 packs of cigarettes.
Multiply the result by 20 (the number of cigarettes in a pack) and you get 22,222 cigarettes kept out of the lungs of our youngsters, the hope of our country.
We do not need to totally ban car modifications. We do not need to condemn such acts. We only need to realise that this is merely a hobby.
All we need to do is to come up with regulations to keep this hobby on a leash and to promote it.
It keeps youngsters off everything else.
What is wrong if I convert my 1.3 litre engine to a 2.0 if I stick by Road Transport Department regulations?
The RTD could take cars with modified engines to Puspakom for inspection to ensure that regulations are observed.
All that the RTD has to do is to make sure such cars are safe on the roads. K.DHILLON,
Ipoh.

ermm...makes sense...

jeffblazed

1,000 RPM
Nov 7, 2004
sonictheory said:
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/24/focus/13471097&sec=focus

Look at the positive side of modifying engines

Recently there have been many complaints about youngsters modifying their cars into unrecognisable street monsters that terrorise other motorists and road users.
But don’t these complainants realise the huge amount of money these youngsters have actually invested in their cars?
A typical engine modification would probably cost about RM10,000. That’s RM10,000 worth of drugs kept off the streets.
A pack of cigarettes cost about RM9. Divide RM10,000 by that and you get 1,111 packs of cigarettes.
Multiply the result by 20 (the number of cigarettes in a pack) and you get 22,222 cigarettes kept out of the lungs of our youngsters, the hope of our country.
We do not need to totally ban car modifications. We do not need to condemn such acts. We only need to realise that this is merely a hobby.
All we need to do is to come up with regulations to keep this hobby on a leash and to promote it.
It keeps youngsters off everything else.
What is wrong if I convert my 1.3 litre engine to a 2.0 if I stick by Road Transport Department regulations?
The RTD could take cars with modified engines to Puspakom for inspection to ensure that regulations are observed.
All that the RTD has to do is to make sure such cars are safe on the roads. K.DHILLON,
Ipoh.

ermm...makes sense...
wat if the guy modify his car wit 10k but still smokes............

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
alot of youngsters mod cars n smoke while waiting for their ride to roll out with the new mods lolzzz

infernaL

2,000 RPM
May 22, 2005
N/A
well if u were to put it the other way round if one can afford 10k on mods itself imagine how much he can afford on fags instead ....

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003

And ensure that no bribery is taken when approving the cars

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
I spend RM 20k on my car also I didn't smoke or drink or gamble or womanise. Same goes for my other car kakis. I think those who smoke n still modify made up a very small percentage.

fritz

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2005
Malaysia
www.mrbaoz.com.my
Youngsters might be smoking while waiting for their car to be ready, but after paying the full amount, mayb he will smoke less. Mayb like 1 packet per day into 1 packet for 2-3 days?Coz mod until PK already ma..hehe! Tht's good also rite? Die slower ma..hehe!

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I very much agree that modifications are to be legalise but to a certain extent. The current ruling are very tight, its almost equivalent to not allowing any modifications. The authority should look into this matter. However, when they legalise modifications, they should also enforce it so that it doesn't get out of hand.

But i don't quite agree that modifications is an alternative to smoking. Its just not right. Anyone who has access to ciggarettes could smoke, just as long as you have money. To really wipe out smoking, the one and only way is to ban ciggies. I know there will still be smuggling but you get to cut down at least 90%

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Ban ciggies? That won't work because Terengganu need the revenue!

The only way is to increase the price from RM 7 to RM 20.

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh
Im not sure if mod will be allowed. later all those who import cars wil bising2 thier car tak laku

yes, hike up the ciggie price kaw kaw!

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Proper regulations and enforcement needs to be had. Both for car mods and ciggarettes. This would stop idiots doing stupid mods to their cars and giving the modding scene a bad image and stop me having to endure second hand smoke from assholes who have no consideration for others.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
aiya.. me also need to go wait for my car to roll out from my mech's house soon what.. no i won't shop, i'll squat outside his house eating nasi lemak.. cheaper.. nicer.. can fill up your empty stomach... you only get fat nia you won't get lung cancer.