M3 Race Edition

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

The new BMW M3 not very track worthy for you? Not hardcore enough or even fast enough? All that and you’re still adamant to own a BMW as your track pet and refuse to submit to other makers. Well, your loyalty has finally paid off because BMW introduced the M3 Race Edition at the Chicago Auto Show.

BMW has blessed the Race Edition with another 65 horses, which translates to a total of 485h while the aluminum DOHC engine boasts 368lb-ft of torque. At 1150kg’s, all that horsepower and torque is a sensory retardant and a surefire way of getting yourself killed on the road, that’s probably why this M3 is a track only edition and will tour the American Le Mans Series in 2009.

Remember the part where I was telling you how you could finally have that perfect track pet? Well, you still can, if you have your own race team and bottomless pockets but for your open track day purposes here’s a fact to ponder: BMW M3s have taken the checkered flag 53 times out of 118 races from 1995 to the end of 2006. Still want a M3 as a track pet? There are plenty of older versions you could purchase used and convert them, they probably won’t be as extreme and hardcore as this but you could try.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Geez, some of you folks really like your flaps, slots, stickers and spoilers, don't you. You like it on normal cars and you even like it on supercars.

Anyway, this thing really isn't what you'd call pretty. It looks the part of the race car and I'm pretty sure it'll be awesome on the track. But as far as beautiful racing machinery goes, this isn't it. Unlike say a Maserati 250f, for example.

Last edited:

kelv!n

Known Member
Jul 28, 2006
the fornt look so nice...

adliz

Known Member
Jan 30, 2005
Geez, some of you folks really like your flaps, slots, stickers and spoilers, don't you. You like it on normal cars and you even like it on supercars.

Anyway, this thing really isn't what you'd call pretty. It looks the part of the race car and I'm pretty sure it'll be awesome on the track. But as far as beautiful racing machinery goes, this isn't it. Unlike say a Maserati 250f, for example.
caterham is ugly as hell, but it serves its purpose.. not only van gogh and da vinci are nice.. LAT can also be nice, but in a different way..:biggrin:

but yeah, tho i love ///m cars to death, they are nicer looking cars eg alfas, n audis..

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
caterham is ugly as hell, but it serves its purpose.. not only van gogh and da vinci are nice.. LAT can also be nice, but in a different way..:biggrin:

but yeah, tho i love ///m cars to death, they are nicer looking cars eg alfas, n audis..
Actually there have been some brilliant looking race cars from BMW. The BMW E46 M3 GTR for example.

teo1957

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
I have a feeling that the top execs in BMW have a pretty good taste (if not only similar to mine) in deciding which car design goes into production. Mass production means that car nuts need to know why commonness is not ugliness and rarity is not beauty. Beauty doesn't make a cult car as what was shown by the Audi 80-based Audi Quattro. It is in the eye of the beholder so I like Alfa Sprint Zagato and I spit on the new 8C Competizione's nostrils-cum-mouth. Don't shoot me please.

bOi-R

Known Member
Apr 19, 2006
I thought BMW already brought us the Ultimate Driving Machine... I guess they will be bringing us more... What about an M6 race edition? :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all, i'm planning to buy a new engine on my wira aeroback 1.3..going for half-cut....my choice is Mivec 1.6+rear breakdisk but without putting in the dashboard,and bodykit to save my $$$$...i'm preparing about 7k in about 4 month...is it possible to get a rear breakdisk and mivec engine for only 7k...can u advise how much money should i prepare....

and can you guys list down what kind of meter can i put into my car ofter my mivec transplant example = autotimer,mivec...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience