JPJ guidelines - Modification of personal vehicles

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Guidelines on the Modification of Private Vehicles

Legal requirements on the modification of vehicles

Section 12 of the Road Transport Act 1897 stipulates the legal requirements on any modification to a vehicle before and after its registration:

Inspection of motor vehicles and information to the Director-General

1. The Director-General or a director may at any time before registration of a motor vehicle require the motor vehicle to be brought to any convenient place specified by him and to be inspected and, if necessary, to be weighed and measured and after registration may at any time require a motor vehicle to be brought as aforesaid if he has reason to believe:-
1. that the motor vehicle does not comply with the requirements of this Act;
2. that any information furnished to him in respect of the motor vehicle is false, incorrect or misleading;
3. that the motor vehicle is not in a serviceable condition; or
4. that the weight, dimension, character, construction, colour, identifying particulars or seating accommodation has been altered after the registration thereof.

2. The registered owner of a motor vehicle shall forthwith inform the Director in writing of any circumstance or event which affects the accuracy of any entry in the register relating to the motor vehicle, and shall at the same time forward or deliver to the Director the registration certificate relating to such motor vehicle.

3. The registered owner of a motor vehicle shall, whenever required by the Director to do so:-
1. forthwith furnish to the Director all such information as he may require for the purpose of verifying the entries relating to such motor vehicle in the register; and
2. forthwith forward or deliver to the Director the registration certificate relating to such motor vehicle.

4. After a motor vehicle has been inspected, weighed or measured under subsection (1), or upon receipt of any information or proof furnished in respect of a motor vehicle under subsection (2) or (3), the Director may make such amendments in the register and in the registration certificate relating to such motor vehicle as he may consider necessary, and shall return the registration certificate to the registered owner.

5. Any person who without reasonable excuse fails to comply with any requirement of the Director-General or a director under subsection (1) or under subsection (2) or (3) shall be guilty of an offence.

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Minor modifications or installation of accessories that are allowed without prior approval from the RTD

There are modifications or installation of accessories that can be done without prior approval from the Director-General of the RTD, particularly modifications or fittings that do not affect the character, stability and safety of the vehicle:-

1. Installation of air spoiler at the front and rear.
2. Installation of side skirt, aerofoil and door visor on a car.
3. Installation of protecting guards at the front and rear of a car.
4. Minor modifications on the radiator grilles, bonnet or the shape and design of the lights.
5. Modification or installation of bigger bumpers (steel or fibreglass) at the front and rear.
6. Installation of bigger rims and tyres.
7. Installation of carrier brackets.
8. Installation of additional brake light (red) or signal lights (amber).
9. Installation of spot lights or halogen lights (both white and yellow) at the front only, in addition to existing lights.
10. Installation of wind shield, fibreglass lamp cover and fibreglass engine cover on front part of motorcycle where the accessories are not protruding out of the ends of the motorcycle handles.

Note
The abovementioned list will be amended from time to time. However, minor modifications and the installation of accessories must comply with the Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Rules 1959 or Motor Vehicles (Construction, Equipment and Use) Rules 1988.

For example:-

1. If an air spoiler, aerofoil or side skirt is installed, it must not exceed 155 mm measured from the outer edge of the rear wheel. [[note from satria_95: images may be big on screen depending on individual monitor resolution settings. my monitor resolution settings is 1600x1200 so the pic looks fine on my screen. Apologies if it's way too big on your screen. Click on pictures for BIGGER images]]

2. If a door visor is installed, it must not exceed 100 mm in width and height.

3. If bigger rims or wider tyres are used, they must be completely covered by mudguards or mudflaps.

4. If protecting guards are installed, they must not cover the vehicle headlights. Sharp edges or protruding parts must not exceed 100 mm. In addition, the overall width must not exceed the original width of the car.

5. If bigger bumpers or protecting guards are installed, the addition at the front and rear must not exceed 50% of the wheelbase of the vehicle.

6. The distance between the headlights and signal lights must not exceed 300 mm and 400 mm respectively, measured from the widest part of the body after modification.

7. If a carrier bracket is installed, it must not exceed the length of the roof, or the width of the vehicle or the height of 400 mm, measured from highest point of the bracket.

Last edited:

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Installation of accessories that are not allowed

1. Blinking lights (other than signal lights and hazard lights) at the front or rear of the car.
2. Installation of blue, violet or green lights.
3. Installation of musical horns or two-toned horns.
4. Installation of spot lights at the rear of the car.
5. Installation of tinted glass or coloured material on the front windscreen, rear windscreen and side windows which permit less than 70% light transmission.

Note: However, the use of tinted glass or coloured material on the uppermost part of the front windscreen, i.e. 20% of its width, and quarter windows is allowed. The above list may be amended from time to time.

Types of modifications that require prior approval from the RTD

If the modification and installation of accessories result in significant changes to the shape, measurement, stability, safety as well as the original character of the motor vehicle, written permission must be obtained in advance from the RTD. For example:-

1. Modification to the monocoque frame of a motor vehicle.
2. Modification to the original shape or character of the vehicle.
3. Modification from a saloon car to a convertible.
4. Modification to the fuel system.
5. Modification to the brake system.
6. Modification to the steering system.
7. Modification to the wheelbase of the vehicle.
8. The use of a fibreglass body to replace a steel body.
9. Change of engine.
10. Installation of sunroof

Untuk pengubahsuaian di atas atau yang sama dengannya, permohonan hendaklah dikemukakan kepada:-

For the above or similar modifications, applications must be submitted to:-
Director,
Technical Regulatory Division,
Road Transport Department,
Level 2, Block D4, Parcel D,
Federal Government Administrative Centre,
62620 Putrajaya

Perkara-perkara yang perlu disertakan bersama permohonan, antaranya ialah:-
Items that needs to be included together with the applications is:-

1. Complete plan which shows in detail the modifications to be made including the measurements and the steps to be followed.
Technical specifications relating to the modifications.
2. Where applicable, certificate or letter of confirmation from a professional engineer (mechanical/automotive engineering) which states and confirms that the design and modifications that will be done on the vehicle are stable and safe to be used.
3. Details of the vehicle to be modified.

Any modification that may affect the stability of the vehicle or that may cause the vehicle to become dangerous when used on the road will not be allowed.

Last edited:

fluffy?

Known Member
Jun 14, 2007
ah..finally.clarity.satria saves the day.

ps:love ur ride blackie..saw it today..

m@ttz

1,500 RPM
May 7, 2006
klang
gud info s95..

really hate damn stupid people changed their signal bulb to blue, green, etc.. summore tinted it to red, color blind maybe..

JtuneD

5,000 RPM
Apr 2, 2004
State Of Trance
Visit site
5. Installation of tinted glass or coloured material on the front windscreen, rear windscreen and side windows which permit less than 70% light transmission.
Damn...i tot the front windscreen VLT only should >70% & the side & rear is 50%??!!! Now all 70% pulak...:banghead:

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
wah...bh...ur wide body like the rules sed, confirm tak lepas edi lor...hehee

eujin

1,000 RPM
Jul 10, 2005
wajaland
i must save this and print it out...there is no saying of modificasi exhaust is wrongful.......tht day..kena stop by police saying change of muffler is already a illegal modification...sumore my muffler is more quieter thn the original ...wtf is wrong with tht man...im a totful soul which care...

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Actually, don't have to thank me for anything cos I got it from Portal Rasmi Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan Malaysia
hahaha
But I doubt many would actually surf to that website so I might as well paste it here and bring more awareness to all of y'all. Next time, when JPJ stops y'all, just have a printed copy and put this link in the paper too.
h ttp://202.190.64.96/v5/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=72

Firstly, ensure your ride adheres to all that's written on the website. Once you've ensured that, start practising your rights when you get stopped. I believe that in many areas, the law is there. We just got to ensure that we adhere to it so we don't get cheated by the authorities.

aliq_2

Mar 30, 2005
KL
kewl...
now i know how to check my summons..
hahaha..
thanks for the adds bro..
cheers...

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Everyone is calling everyone bro in here la. Let me share this joke with you guys and this is told to me by a real life malaysian datuk who he experienced it himself.

One day, datuk was walking with his friend, a singh, in some country (can't recall which country). As they were walking in a shopping complex, there were quite a few of those stall promoters (like those credit card sales kind) who kept on approaching them while they were walking, and saying things like, "good afternoon, bro. Would you be interested... bla bla bla" but the singh just told them no and walked off. After a few times of getting "good afternoon, bro...." and "Hi, this is a good offer, bro..." and ".... bro...." , the singh got fed up. The next sales dude who came up to him and used the word "bro", he raised his voice back at the sales dude, "since when your father fucked my mother to give birth to you for you to call me your bro????" The datuk just continued walking. hahaha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After a long thunderstorm night from the previous meet on 11.11.11, we gathered our cars in the morning on the Esplanade again, to have car decals applied to our car, for a car convoy. We were part of the Cleaner Greener Penang event, where the event focuses on bringing awareness towards the cleanliness and green of Penang Island...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience