imitation rims - are they really not reliable at all?

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
I met the imitation wheels salesman before. They buy a set of ori wheel, make mold and use cast alloy technology to produce the copies. If you see imitation wheel that has 'made in japan' wording, big % they are malaysia product (price about taiwan wheel or slightly cheaper). They also produce some wheel with japan, japan design, design in japan or etc wording (copy of taiwan wheel).

If you ask if it is ok to use, I can only tell you the risk is there but with today's technology, the wheels will not break so easy compare to the past. All those pics you can find from internet, 99% is either involved with serious road/track accident. In similar case, even ori japan wheel will break. I did saw a piece of genuine 18" G-Games 77 broken into 3 pieces after accident (laid on Monster Garage corridor in singapore few years back). If you concern about wheel bent after hitting pot holes, I can tell you even genuine japan forged aluminum wheel will bend too. The 18" Advan model 5 (forged, 8kg front 8.7kg rear) on my car have 1 wheel bent. My old wheels CR-Kai (not forged. 9.8kg each) also got 2 wheels bent. this thing really cannot avoid except you keep the car at home display only or drive 20-30km/h all the time.

If cost is concern, buy used ori factory car wheel that people trade in for aftermarket wheels. Normally will be cheaper than imitation. Those from new cars are the best deal. If want aftermarket design, then buy taiwan brand. My friend is tire shop owner, he himself also use taiwan wheel. He told me not worth to use new japan wheel.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
btw,who to verify n test the rim?sirim?
If you mean in Malaysia then sorry. As far as I know Rims are not in the controlled item list therefore will not have anyone testing them.

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

VIA Registration of Aluminum Wheel

JWL is self testing, but I guess it only applies to real Japanese wheels. VIA is by an independent body.

SIRIM probably don't have the technology, I don't know. I wouldn't trust SIRIM if my life depended on it.

TUV & DOT probably have some standards, but my boat is Japanese, so I have no clue about continentals.
As mentioned above, unless the product is under the controlled item list then Sirim will have to get the equipment necessary to test them. If not, then they will not have them. Sirim now is privatised but follow Government Act and Ruling.
I have been dealing with Sirim for the past 10 years for electrical testing for imported and local assembled sets and they follow International standards. In fact, by the book to the last detail....

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

I met the imitation wheels salesman before. They buy a set of ori wheel, make mold and use cast alloy technology to produce the copies. If you see imitation wheel that has 'made in japan' wording, big % they are malaysia product (price about taiwan wheel or slightly cheaper). They also produce some wheel with japan, japan design, design in japan or etc wording (copy of taiwan wheel).
If marking is "Made in Japan" for Malaysian Made then those are imitation, because only allowed as per your bottom sentence "Japan, Japan design, design in Japan or etc"

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Advanti isn't a "copy-cat" per se. After all they make wheels for F1 teams, and they are "adik" OZ Wheels. Plus their parent company manufactures certain models of Enkei wheels.

They are the absolute best choice in the affordable range. Better than buying outright imitation.

As for your example izso, it doesn't apply here. The Wira is a licensed model from Mitsubishi of the old Lancer, likewise, the Inspira is a licensed badge engineered model of the new Lancer. Proton pays Mitsubishi to use it. You think K-Speed or other Taiwan company pays the Japan or Italian counterparts they copy? My ass.

With assholes who keep buying fakes, and when the original manufacturer closes down because nobody buys their shit and everybody buys the fakes, and K-Speed and other boys have nothing left to copy, you're all fucked, and you fucked those paying for the real deal as well. HKS exited the USA market because the amount of fakes were crazy. And when the fake SSQVs fail, they blame the real HKS.
:congrats: Love the last paragraph.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
If you mean in Malaysia then sorry. As far as I know Rims are not in the controlled item list therefore will not have anyone testing them.

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

As mentioned above, unless the product is under the controlled item list then Sirim will have to get the equipment necessary to test them. If not, then they will not have them. Sirim now is privatised but follow Government Act and Ruling.
I have been dealing with Sirim for the past 10 years for electrical testing for imported and local assembled sets and they follow International standards. In fact, by the book to the last detail....

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

If marking is "Made in Japan" for Malaysian Made then those are imitation, because only allowed as per your bottom sentence "Japan, Japan design, design in Japan or etc"
If rims/wheels is under "controlled item" list in Malaysia, you think JRD will EVER pass? Hell, even our Proton still selling cars WITHOUT ABS and Airbags, it will NEVER PASS in UK and EUROPE.

We have standards from last decade.

SIRIM standards are rubbish, they just adopt international standards from the last decade. What's the use in that? We're suppose to move forward, not adopt standards that are deemed out of date and ineffective.

That's like saying, hey, look, last decade they using candles, who gives a shit if they use light bulbs now, we can make use of candles very well!

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

If you ask if it is ok to use, I can only tell you the risk is there but with today's technology, the wheels will not break so easy compare to the past. All those pics you can find from internet, 99% is either involved with serious road/track accident. In similar case, even ori japan wheel will break. I did saw a piece of genuine 18" G-Games 77 broken into 3 pieces after accident (laid on Monster Garage corridor in singapore few years back). If you concern about wheel bent after hitting pot holes, I can tell you even genuine japan forged aluminum wheel will bend too. The 18" Advan model 5 (forged, 8kg front 8.7kg rear) on my car have 1 wheel bent. My old wheels CR-Kai (not forged. 9.8kg each) also got 2 wheels bent. this thing really cannot avoid except you keep the car at home display only or drive 20-30km/h all the time.

If cost is concern, buy used ori factory car wheel that people trade in for aftermarket wheels. Normally will be cheaper than imitation. Those from new cars are the best deal. If want aftermarket design, then buy taiwan brand. My friend is tire shop owner, he himself also use taiwan wheel. He told me not worth to use new japan wheel.

agree....and even factory wheel also bent if the condition are bad enough....

but atleast for common design rims that already have sturdy pattern should be ok for normal use.... personally my driving on the road was similar to my driving in rally...means whatever small holes/bumps i just drive over straight without needing any swaying left/right to avoid it....

and my wheel which is work meister s1/s2 replica still standing true without any wobble/crack....plus some purposed/accidental kerb riding by me and my "other driver" atleast so far no problem for the tyreman to get it balanced and rotate smooth and straight....

the keyword is: do not go for insanely low profile tyre.....keep it adequate and the rest should be ok...

this is because when wheel meet any rough/potholes...the first contact was from the tyre...then only transferred to the rims....if the tyre was too thin, it cant absorb the impact hence the rest of impact goes to the rims and bend/crack it....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

the keyword is: do not go for insanely low profile tyre.....keep it adequate and the rest should be ok...

this is because when wheel meet any rough/potholes...the first contact was from the tyre...then only transferred to the rims....if the tyre was too thin, it cant absorb the impact hence the rest of impact goes to the rims and bend/crack it....
Exactly!

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
In similar case, even ori japan wheel will break. I did saw a piece of genuine 18" G-Games 77 broken into 3 pieces after accident (laid on Monster Garage corridor in singapore few years back). If you concern about wheel bent after hitting pot holes, I can tell you even genuine japan forged aluminum wheel will bend too. The 18" Advan model 5 (forged, 8kg front 8.7kg rear) on my car have 1 wheel bent. My old wheels CR-Kai (not forged. 9.8kg each) also got 2 wheels bent. this thing really cannot avoid except you keep the car at home display only or drive 20-30km/h all the time.
True.

I use Spoon replica on my Civic. Balances well for few years of use.

I use Japan original authentic P1 Buddy Club 16x8.5 offset 27 on my other car. Bengkok.

I don't think the knowhow to cast/forge wheels is out of reach for our local manufacturers. Or even, China manufacturers.

It's how you use, where you use. No Standard can help if the wheel was misused or abused.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
True.

I use Spoon replica on my Civic. Balances well for few years of use.

I use Japan original authentic P1 Buddy Club 16x8.5 offset 27 on my other car. Bengkok.

I don't think the knowhow to cast/forge wheels is out of reach for our local manufacturers. Or even, China manufacturers.

It's how you use, where you use. No Standard can help if the wheel was misused or abused.

yep...speaking of which...last saturday already put a heavy dent on OZ rally wheels...during rally by kerbing a cement bridge barrier :driver:

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
all sifu,

yesterday just saw my mech fren car wira 16 inc rim wif yokohama ado8 involve in accident. 1 of te rim, all leg broken....this is te dangerous using "Imitation" rim.....i thk made in china 1....:afraid:

Attachments

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
16" tyre on Wira is considerably lower profile, the wheel have less rubber buffer ma. Must drive slow slow one. Anyway I saw a Naza Ria with all-spoke-broken stock alloy wheel that I couldn't explain of.

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
YYC,
u remind me too "less rubber buffer".......its dangerous in malaysia road...

if our absorber is hardcore type......should use tyre to compensate te bumpy road.....am i right....

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Have you seen the process in which Rays Wheels are forged? I highly doubt any China manufacturer comes close to that.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
YYC,
u remind me too "less rubber buffer".......its dangerous in malaysia road...

if our absorber is hardcore type......should use tyre to compensate te bumpy road.....am i right....
Once i had the privilege of sitting in a Wira with 17" with stock suspension. The tyre was 35 or 30 profile. Just after 5 mins I felt wanting to vomit my yesterday dinner.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
all sifu,

yesterday just saw my mech fren car wira 16 inc rim wif yokohama ado8 involve in accident. 1 of te rim, all leg broken....this is te dangerous using "Imitation" rim.....i thk made in china 1....:afraid:
Buy imitation rims but use Yoko AD-08?.....fuyoh!:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

16" tyre on Wira is considerably lower profile, the wheel have less rubber buffer ma. Must drive slow slow one. Anyway I saw a Naza Ria with all-spoke-broken stock alloy wheel that I couldn't explain of.
Can lah! Have been on 17", 45 series for the last 10 years on my VR.....:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

I own a CRZ and at the bottom of the front windshield, there a part that always collect water.
And I am not sure if its due to rain water or tap water collecting there. Here's a pic.

Any way i can try to remove it?

Ive tried glass cleaner and elbow grease, but doesnt seem to work at all. Am afraid it might be permenantly marked.

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience