How Long A Pc Can Run Without Off??

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Ok this is some info from me being in this business for soo long now.

Generally a PC can be used 365 days for 24 hours non stop in a well ventilated area. That means even the PC if housed inside a small room like a toilet it would still work. Provided there is air travelling inside the room via an exhaust fan.

An average home PC lifespan with daily usage for a few hours would be around 2 years. Some better it to 3-4 years. Of all the items in the PC, the first to go would be the hard disk.

If you buy cheap quality components, expect the PC to last around 1.5-2 years before something untowardly happens.

Actually a well build PC would last 7 years with normal usage. Before the hard disk gives way. Before then usually the items would become obsolete by then. ;)

vestax

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Damansara Heigh
www.fivio.com
net ,
i still have a well maintain quntum big foot 2.1GB HDD no bad cluster and its working . the hard disk was back in 1996 . damn big hard disk . :lol:

anyway in my opinion the first to go is your power supply , in my case it always be the powersupply & monitor .

bryan90s

500 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
from my experience..... i think the few thing tht would kong easily are...

-power supply
-cd-rom (cdrw seems to be last longer)
-monitor (smoke come out)
-mouse (keyboard will last forever)
-hdd

bryan90s

500 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by vestax@Apr 22 2004, 02:05 PM
net ,
i still have a well maintain quntum big foot 2.1GB HDD no bad cluster and its working . the hard disk was back in 1996 . damn big hard disk . :lol:

anyway in my opinion the first to go is your power supply , in my case it always be the powersupply & monitor .
u kalah me la

i got bigger one

my first hdd....still working today as backup...no bad sector...

*********1.2 GBB HDD Maxtor*********

still remember how the salesman promo this hdd..."damn 9 large le...xxx times larger than floppy disk.....u knw?"

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
I ran my home file server (an old P3-450MHz with 768MB RAM and 200GB HDD) for a max of 72 days (with a UPS lah). Had to reboot because of the latest Windows 2000 patches. Darn!

PooH

Jan 13, 2004
Can you guys explain y power supply plays a role as well???

how bout lap top...how long can you leave it on?

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Best not to leave a laptop running too long... wear n tear faster.

A laptop has a lousy ventilation system when compared to a desktop or server. Leaving it up n running for longer periods of time can damage the hard disk drive or the motherboard.

vestax

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Damansara Heigh
www.fivio.com
hehe problem's with the server always with the HDD k.o , maxtor HDD suck big time , just bought it for less then 2 weeks , HDD k.o . western digital is the best . second problem always with the power supply & mother board . :(

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Well vestax, u are right also. Power supply is important. But who is willing to buy TASK, Enlight or Lian Li? The first 2 brands are good. But for most shoppers, price and design not nice. Lian Li is almost out of reach for many.

If you buy a good power supply, the main reason being the current and voltage. Good ones can maintain current and voltage under loads. Where cheap ones, you would face some problems. I have seen cases of PC hang because of power supply! :lol:

Actually i have asked some people about hardwares life spans before. Generally most would reach end of life in 3 years. Actually hardware manufacturers gave a clue to how long their hardware can last. B) I have seen CD-Rom packaging stating 25,000 hours time operation until failure. Some states this as MTBF, Mean time before failure.

I am lucky to have many hardware as reference before saying anything stupid. hehehe :lol:

Vestax, i do have a 1990's 1.2GB bigfoot. I also have the very old seagate 1980's 40MB SCSI drive for 386. I also have 1980's 40mb IDE conner. And old late 1980's Quantum 850MB.

Yes i rummage through people old PC for parts to collect. In matter a fact i have so many faulty and good hard disk i have learned quite a few tricks from them. heheh. :lol:

About monitors, does anyone remember the brand KTX? Still in use at my customers place running a brand new Compaq server with novell. B) Another one of my customer is still using Syquest backup cartridges. One using Seagate parallel tape drives! And i just obtained an old SCSI Yamaha 2x4x2 CD-RW drive. :lol: :lol:

My oldest rig that is still functional is an old 486SX with 16MB ram. Running Win311. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually it all boils down to good grade components being in PC. Just like my friends 1.7GB IBM, that is more than 10 years already. It is parellel imported some more! :lol:

XFury

Dec 1, 2003
i still have my 1st pc NEC P75...running on 75mhz 8mb edo ram ....1 gb hard disk
it still works...but no OS running on it anymore ..coz i format it..ahha

ramzy

Known Member
Dec 4, 2003
Jay Bee
www.rpw.co.au
whadup guys,

wanna share my dinasour aged PC as well (1995)..

PentiumI 133
16MB EDO RAM
Seagate 1.2GB HDD
ArtNet 14.4 Modem
Max 14" monitor
12x Cd-ROM
Intel 430 chipset

so far,only changed my mouse...modem works, internet works.. :lol:

trust me, its still running fine, playin Mario n Wolfenstein 3D wif it.. :lol: :lol:

gti88

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by acbc@Apr 22 2004, 04:43 PM
Best not to leave a laptop running too long... wear n tear faster.

A laptop has a lousy ventilation system when compared to a desktop or server. Leaving it up n running for longer periods of time can damage the hard disk drive or the motherboard.
my laptop is running dont know how many months liao havent off .. :blink: :blink:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I've installed pivot ignition earth on my toyota wish two weeks ago. The torque has improved but my FC seems to have dropped. Was quite disappointed as I installed this more for the FC improvement. I also noticed that the effect on city driving is more. Anyone facing the same problem? Is this expected? I'm contemplating to uninstall the cable. Comment?

:mad:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience