Hammer to break windows in emergencies

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
It is actually quite rare to have our seatbelts jammed and would require cutting. In bad accidents, our windows would often break anyway. In most accidents, one or more of our car doors can still be opened unless the accident is really bad. Even a car that has turned turtle would have the windows break/crack and the doors can still be opened, albeit we would be doing it upside down which can be disorientating.

Nonetheless, having a simple rescue tool to cut seatbelt and break windows is still recommended. It doesn't cost much and does not clutter our car interior.

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
I attended a Women Safety Campaign at Great Eastern Mall today, and I asked En Salim, an officer of the MVFRA (MSIAN Volunteer Fire and Rescue Assoc), my burning question that no one can give me a straight answer until today: "Can ResQMe break through security tint?". He said yes, but may take several attempts depending on thickness of tint.

I also noticed during the ResQMe demo that women had some difficulty using the device. The women can't seem to hold the device properly while pushing the device against the glass. I think this is because the device is small but requires a firm grip while pushing the device against the glass. The women are a little surprised by the strength needed to push the ResQMe. But after getting used to the pressure needed, most women seem to get it right.

So, if you have a ResQMe, let your lady partner have some practice on some glass (but wear gloves and safety glasses just in case).

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
I attended a Women Safety Campaign at Great Eastern Mall today, and I asked En Salim, an officer of the MVFRA (MSIAN Volunteer Fire and Rescue Assoc), my burning question that no one can give me a straight answer until today: "Can ResQMe break through security tint?". He said yes, but may take several attempts depending on thickness of tint.

I also noticed during the ResQMe demo that women had some difficulty using the device. The women can't seem to hold the device properly while pushing the device against the glass. I think this is because the device is small but requires a firm grip while pushing the device against the glass. The women are a little surprised by the strength needed to push the ResQMe. But after getting used to the pressure needed, most women seem to get it right.

So, if you have a ResQMe, let your lady partner have some practice on some glass (but wear gloves and safety glasses just in case).
You need to see this :-

Laminated Windows Being Installed in Vehicles Prevent Escape in Emergencies | NBC 6 South Florida

Type of Glass in Your Car's Windows Could Change Escape Plan | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Last edited:

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Unless you are pretty sure it can punch through the specific security tint you use, don't bet your life on someone's general statements that it 'may' break through security tint.

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
Unless you are pretty sure it can punch through the specific security tint you use, don't bet your life on someone's general statements that it 'may' break through security tint.
No thanks to your unhelpful reply. It is replies like yours that drove me to ask this question in the first place.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
It is actually quite rare to have our seatbelts jammed and would require cutting. In bad accidents, our windows would often break anyway. In most accidents, one or more of our car doors can still be opened unless the accident is really bad. Even a car that has turned turtle would have the windows break/crack and the doors can still be opened, albeit we would be doing it upside down which can be disorientating.

Nonetheless, having a simple rescue tool to cut seatbelt and break windows is still recommended. It doesn't cost much and does not clutter our car interior.
I would assume if the accident is that severe till the point of rendering the doors inoperable, and the seat belt buckle which is on the inside of the passenger jammed. The passengers in the car would be in no position to use such a tool, lest severing his own fingers while trying to cut the seatbelt, or punching another passenger in the car while trying to break the window. :rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I got this 2 for free after major service on my car.

I think is good. As it is 5 in 1 tool. Most useful is the hammer sharp point tip and the cutter for our safety belt.

I think it cost less than RM100. Worth having in the car.

1 guy at lowyat selling RM50 only.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
hu! hu! with tyre pressure gauge.....
Yup, Safety Belt Cutter, Hammer, Torchlight, Tyre Pressure Gauge (Digital), Thread depth gauge :biggrin:

Very handy indeed.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
So sell to me one at RM25......hahahahahahaa
:rofl: I think I need to get one more :rofl:

Mine gave to GF, one put in Altis, BLM don't have :rofl:

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
No thanks to your unhelpful reply. It is replies like yours that drove me to ask this question in the first place.
I'm not trying to be difficult.

I actually spend about RM400+ on a bunch of ResQMe from Chong at Perfect Protection to give out to my family members. So it's not like I'm pissing in your cornflakes for no reason.

What I am saying to you is that you owe it to yourself to test the ResQMe on the specific security tint that you use with your car. That is the only way you can be sure. Encik Salim made some general statements that suggested to you that it 'may' work' on security tint 'depending' on various factors.

In short, he is guessing. To me, THAT is an unhelpful statement because it does not answer anything definitively and, if anything, it gives a false sense of confidence.

I have security tint on my car and in short order I plan to sacrifice a side window to test the ResQMe. But that's just me. You do what you like. For what its worth.

Incidentally, the glass saw on the Victorinox Rescue Tool will saw through a laminated front windshield but it takes time and effort.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

I got this 2 for free after major service on my car.

I think is good. As it is 5 in 1 tool. Most useful is the hammer sharp point tip and the cutter for our safety belt.

If there is a way of finding out, make sure the glassbreaker tip is, at very least, tungsten carbide and that you have personally and successfully tested it on piece of tempered glass.

Some of these hammers come with steel tips which have been known to fail as glassbreakers. There is youtube video somewhere of a test being done with one of the hammer steel tips and this guy was pounding away at the side window which remained intact and tip getting blunted in the process.

People don't know it but tempered glass has similar hardness as steel which is why it is not as easy to break as one might think. Just imagine if you have to do it in a hurry or when you are injured and not able to muster full strength.

This also explains why you can shatter tempered glass with a piece of sparkplug ceramic. That ceramic, although brittle, has a significantly higher hardness than tempered glass. Same principle as a diamond (the hardest naturally occurring material). A diamond is very hard, but brittle (shatters easily). Steel is not as hard, but it is tough. People confuse hardness with toughness.....two very different attributes.

Last edited:

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
I'm not trying to be difficult.

I actually spend about RM400+ on a bunch of ResQMe from Chong at Perfect Protection to give out to my family members. So it's not like I'm pissing in your cornflakes for no reason.

What I am saying to you is that you owe it to yourself to test the ResQMe on the specific security tint that you use with your car. That is the only way you can be sure. Encik Salim made some general statements that suggested to you that it 'may' work' on security tint 'depending' on various factors.

In short, he is guessing. To me, THAT is an unhelpful statement because it does not answer anything definitively and, if anything, it gives a false sense of confidence.

I have security tint on my car and in short order I plan to sacrifice a side window to test the ResQMe. But that's just me. You do what you like. For what its worth.

Incidentally, the glass saw on the Victorinox Rescue Tool will saw through a laminated front windshield but it takes time and effort.
What I wrote earlier was En Salim said that such ResQMe device can break through a security tint, but may take several attempts to do so. In other words, security tints complicate glass breakage but the tints are not impervious to ResQMe or such other devices.

Well, Salim could be embarrassingly wrong. I regret not asking him then if he had ever tried breaking security tints, but he is a bona fide Search & Rescue Officer (MVFRA), and he did answer my question with confidence.

So, yes, please test breaking your security tint and report to us (even if to spite me), preferably with video evidence. Otherwise, your last post, as like your previous posts, are unhelpful because they do not contribute to new information.

I am sure ZTH members (including me) and others would appreciate your test and sacrifice. I say this without sarcasm. That was my original intention of this post -- to learn if security tints are impervious to glass breaking devices or if these tints alarmingly complicate glass breakage so much.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
See if I can spot any idiot driver that is in my list of idiot drivers one day. Can try on their windows and see if it works :thefinger:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear ZTHians,

My proton wira with 4G15 engine has a leak. I suspect it is due to gasket problem. I have got two quotes from mechanics and one quoted me RM5xx including ordinary service + repair valve and another quoted me RM1k because he said he is unsure what other damages are there.

Well this problem has been there quite some time since my car overheated and blew its head. A new head from chop shop replaced the blown one but perhaps due to poor installation, oil leaks and I wasnt...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience