Tuffoil and rebuilt Engine Break in

yewjunyan

Known Member
Jun 19, 2006
Dear Focal Point,

Good day to you!

I had just recently overhaul my 15 years car's engine (top overhaul and change piston ring) after travelling for 530,000km in my proton wira. The engine cylinder still in good shape since i have been using tufoil for many years. Thanks to tufoil to surprise my forman on such a little wear on my engine block and bearings after such millage. I change piston ring and valve seal just to reduce the engine oil consumption problem, before it was 500ml every 6000km. (I am stingy on oil loss)

Now my question is, would tuffoil caused my new rings unable to seat/run in nicely to cylinder wall? If it is possible, I would not like to miss a Tuffoil treatment for my car for even for 1 oil change, i never miss it since 6 years ago after i tried the 1st bottle in my 4G15.

According to the user guide, it is necessary to enable a new engine to run in before using Tuf treatment, would it be necessary for an rebuild engine with new rings? If that is a must i would have no choice but to compromise for good ring seal at the expense of more wear on the other part of engine due to the absent of Tuf treatment.

Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

FocalPoint

500 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Hi! Yewjunyan. How are you? I suppose you belong to a university in the north if I am not mistaken.

First, it is certainly amazing and quite a feat to run an engine for some half a million kilometers before doing a rings change. You should contact the car maker and maybe qualify for the free make-over scheme. The cylinders must be in excellent condition and perhaps with a very smooth surface.

In most cases, even for engine rebuilts we suggest changing the lubricant early, say at about 1500 km. Thereafter, it will be a good idea to protect that revitalised engine once again. Before that, drive with less aggression and that engine will be super! You may add in one 8 oz. bottle of Tufoil after that. The reason being, this is a good and effective way to get rid of all the irons filings and all those tiny and microscopic 'uninvited guests' left behind inside by the mechanic.

Second, with regards to your decision to do the top overhaul due to an oil consumption of 600 ml, please know that some oil consumption does 'magic' to the upper cylinders. Looser engine run better. In my original car manual ( MB 190 ), the maximum amount of oil consumption allowable is 1.5 litres per 1000 km. I think this is also about the same for a W210 aka Tai Sai Ngan.Incredible isn't it? These engines are made in Germany! A word of caution though, If your engine consumes oil, it is mandatory to check your dipstick more regularly. If you have mastered this habit you are indeed a car lover and we salute you.

Tufoil is highly regarded by many for over 30 years. Once again, do know it is a quality product. By the way, this isn't a commercial break. Sounds like one but not one! Ha! Ha! Ha! Cheers and many thanks.

yewjunyan

Known Member
Jun 19, 2006
Dear Focal Point,

Thanks a lot on the advice given to myself. I am surprised that you still had some impression regarding that i was from Northern University! I had bought few bottles of Tufoil from enoes 1u during promotion and i shall follow your recommendation to wait my car to run in for 1000km before using tufoil.

Your sharing regarding the engine clearance is much appreciated. Since my engine piston to bore clearance is on the slightly loose side and hence i got even think before to rebore and change to over size piston. However i was turn down by the workshop informing that my cast iron cylinder is still in the great shape (smooth surface) and there are no significant ridge in the cylinder. An engine which has slightly looser clearance tend to rev faster and make better power. The only downside maybe some piston rattling / slap on the very cold morning. So far, i did not notice any rattle during cold start up and i was using 10w40 viscosity engine oil.

Wao, the oil consumption of 1.5 littre per 1000km is ridiculous! Their engine must be very loose so that the oil can be consumed and lubricate the intake valve seat, upper cylinder? Thanks again on tufoil for taking good care on my engine as promised!

Best wishes for Focal Point, and for all the car owners who have been using Tufoil, i am certained that you had made a right choice for the longevity of your engine~ Thanks

FocalPoint

500 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Hi! Yewjunyan.

Glad to hear your good feedbacks on Tufoil. I hope Tufoil will give your rebuilt engine a new self with further gains down the road. Cheers!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys,

wanna know the pros and cons about having matt black paint on my putra...if you don't know what matt black is, it's the same colour as ah fai's cefiro a31.

i'm thinking of using it due to the fact that it'll be cheaper to spray back if any dents or whatsoever happens during motorsports events.

oh and roughly how much would it cost to spray the whole car (in+out)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience