Hammer to break windows in emergencies

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Not really what we observed bro. We tested on several intact tempered windows

We initially did think it was an impact with a jagged point, but when we fashioned a similar piece of jagged steel it didn't do anything other than bounce off, no matter how many times we threw the thing at the window.

Also, the steel ball bearings we used of similar dimensions were dense comparatively to that piece of ceramic. The latter was 'featherweight' by comparison. Since none of the ball bearings busted anything it could not have been density of material.

The thing is sparkplug ceramic has a very high hardness rating. Most literature seem to suggest this is the reason you can explode a piece of tempered glass via impact.

If you have an opportunity to try it yourself, it's actually quite an entertaining test.
Thanks for the info. If have the chance sure will test....:driver:

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

To break a window with a spark plug, must it be at which point of that spark plug to hit the
window to break? Or any part of the spark plug body that hit the window will break as well?

Didn't know such a small thing can break a window. Does it work from the inside as well?
Bro. FVel mention the ceramic part.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Fvel - for my own information though, what security tint are you using and whats the thickness?

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Fvel - for my own information though, what security tint are you using and whats the thickness?
It has been a while since I installed the stuff, so I have to check the specs.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

To break a window with a spark plug, must it be at which point of that spark plug to hit the
window to break? Or any part of the spark plug body that hit the window will break as well?

Didn't know such a small thing can break a window. Does it work from the inside as well?
Not the sparkplug. Just the white ceramic bit. Take a discarded sparkplug, break the ceramic portion into smaller pieces with a hammer. Obviously, don't overdo everything by smashing into powder. You just need to crack them into pebble size pieces.

One of these pebble size piece will smash a tempered glass side window easily when thrown.

Haven't tried it from inside the car? It should work though. If you want to test it yourself, please, please wear gloves and safety glasses. The wimdow won't just break, it will shatter into a shower of fragments.

If you are thinking of going cheap and adopting this as your emergency vehicle escape tool, PLEASE DON'T.

While it should work if you have nothing else available, it is not as reliable as a purpose-built escape tool. For example, how are you going to throw the thing if your cabin in filling up with water in a submergence accident and you need to get out in a hurry. In our tests, we pelted the ceramic with vigour and in most cases things shatter on the first throw. There are some instances when the window did not break on the first impact....say when someone didn't ding the window hard enough. This can be imagined if someone is naturally lembek or too injured to muster strength. If that thing bounces off and lands somewhere else, do you have time to go fishing around the floorboard trying to find and retrieve that tiny piece of ceramic ?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
sparkplug thrown on the outside directly on the glass - I get it. But thrown from the inside where the tint is, would it still shatter or just bounce right off?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
sparkplug thrown on the outside directly on the glass - I get it. But thrown from the inside where the tint is, would it still shatter or just bounce right off?
Yah! now will hit tint first and not glass. Anyway, from inside throw also cannot have much force. Too cramp inside to be able to throw forcefully.....:smokin:

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Those sparkplug tests were on UN-tinted tempered glass.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A friend has fitted an NGV to his KIA for RM3600, and he expects the savings to payback in 12 months or so (savings of RM300 per month).

Any of you gents have any experience good or bad to share on using Natural Gas ?
Is it worth the bother of carrying a gas tank in your boot (and losing space for luggage)?

Why isn't NGV catching on? The majority users are the taxis,judging by their demand for gas at Petronas...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience