• RWD for no understeer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Hi Folks,
Not sure if this has been discussed before but I am just curious why RWD in touring cars incur weight penalty. Even the regulation for FIA WTCC stipulates that RWD mush carry more weight.
FWD = 1170kg
RWD = 1200kg

What advantage does RWD car have?.
I only see disadvantage.. RWD produce less on wheel HP due to power loss at drivetrain.

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
fwd ur front wheels doing most of the work, accel, brake, corner...front tires bear the brunt of it and prolly wear faster

rwd work is split between the front / rear, rear accel, front brake / corner...tires prolly wear more evenly, there's an advantage there

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
handling advantage......

i remember somewhere back then....in WTCC where in tight circuit those RWD beemer would conquer all top spot....and in those more open circuit FWD cars conquer top spot.....

:adore:

keeltha

Known Member
Jan 13, 2011
Selangor
FD2R is amazing FWD... His cornering ability does not lose to RWD, is it true ? or Just BM being bias ?

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
FD2R is track spec and so leave it out...

The only car I know that had the same engine but different configuration is AE82 Corolla FX-GT and AE86 Levin. I am sure off the line the corolla may be faster due to on wheel HP. And cornering
Levin maybe faster. How about mid range pickup and top speed?. Being FR is there any advantage in
this area?.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
RWD are born for the tracks..

FWD are for road use

that's their history.. now, anything goes

:biggrin:

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
to put it in simple terms...if you want to move a mass/object...pushing will be easier than pulling it...anytime every time...even when applying the same amount of force...that why when a car stalls....people push it...not pull it...if still want to pull...better call a tow truck... :stupid:

keeltha

Known Member
Jan 13, 2011
Selangor
I'm agree with D7zul. Just want to add on that it's not easy to handle RWD car compare to FWD car.
I agree too, except more than 350bhp? (i not sure FWD max can take how much bhp)...

then most manufacturer will say: "let go AWD"

Less and lesser RWD :bawling:

ps: base on most production car...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
I agree too, except more than 350bhp? (i not sure FWD max can take how much bhp)...

lesser RWD in Malaysia..

if u search d net, there's lots of RWD cars selling around d world

:biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

But many great cars are AWD: GTR, Evo, WRX, Lambos,, Audi R8, 911 Turbo. AWD is like middle ground, can take a LOT of power and be fast on the track but has more degree of safety margin compared to RWD and even FWD, especially in the wet/loose surfaces.

Anyway back to the original thread question, all other things being equal, RWD by law of physics is and will always be faster on track than FWD. Of course there are really2 good FWD like the FD2R, Renault Megane, VW Golf, but ultimately FWD will never be able to take on as much power as RWD/AWD cars. That's why all the fastest cars in the world, either street legal or race cars are NOT FWD.

Last edited:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
FD2R is fast, in its category, that's it.. imagine if supercars like 458 italia and lambo aventador are FWD, they'll surely be laughed at and nobody will buy them.. :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all sifu,

want to ask, can a Satria Gti throttle body install into a Wira 1.5Gli Efi 2004 (Siemen ECU) ? is there any problem with the idling after install ?

and what kind of improvement can we expect? and normally it cost how much to buy the Gti throttle and installation job ?

Thanks !
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience