DC5 Technical Problems/Issues

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
Bro Vagabond, sorry for being a noob, but whats a TP sensor n what does it do? :hmmmm: U've experienced the same problem before too?And if its the TP sensor, what price tag am I looking at for a replacement and where to get it/change it? Thanks for your advice bro. Cheers :adore:
Throttle position sensor. the TPS informs your ECU on how wide the throttle plate is open, and thus the ecu regulates the right fuel mixture, fuel cut off, etc.

errors with the TPS can cause symptoms such as:
a) CEL
b) jerky acceleration or deceleration - you'll feel like the engine is straining but doesnt seem to want to go (acceleration) and sudden jerks when slowing down , due to fuel cut-off (deceleration)
c) poor fc

the american's have good ways to test whether a TPS is faulty or not, the best way to diagnose would be to hook the TPS up to an osiloscope , feed it a 5v input, simulate the potentiometer from throttle fully close to WOT and check the sinosoidal wave output on it's gradient.

for original honda/keihin 2nd hand tps, its from rm350 and above
while aftermarket new ones (mostly american made) goes for rm250 and above, if not mistaken.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Hi guys, I have an issue whereby after I vtec there is rattling sound like something is loose coming from my accelarator pedal. I will only hear this sound when I lift my foot of the pedal. Had checked all the nuts and bolt are tighten. The sound is coming from inside the engine bay. it doesn't effect the performance but it's bloody annoying. Anyone experience this before? Cheers .. Hizam - 4747

have you checked your power steering hose mounting bracket??

open up the engine hood, look at the valve head cover.
the power steering hose is mounted / held in place by a bracket secured to the valve head cover.
there are two possible bracket positions for the hose, and the bracket itself is quite soft and bendable. it's possible that during deceleration, it comes into contact with either:
a) aftermarket engine tower bars
b) the valve head cover itself.

just bend the bracket to make sure that there is no contact with any possible points during engine vibration. clearance between metal points should be at least 10mm.

XBREED

Known Member
May 13, 2008
Throttle position sensor. the TPS informs your ECU on how wide the throttle plate is open, and thus the ecu regulates the right fuel mixture, fuel cut off, etc.

a) CEL
b) jerky acceleration or deceleration - you'll feel like the engine is straining but doesnt seem to want to go (acceleration) and sudden jerks when slowing down , due to fuel cut-off (deceleration)
c) poor fc

the american's have good ways to test whether a TPS is faulty or not, the best way to diagnose would be to hook the TPS up to an osiloscope , feed it a 5v input, simulate the potentiometer from throttle fully close to WOT and check the sinosoidal wave output on it's gradient.

while aftermarket new ones (mostly american made) goes for rm250 and above, if not mistaken.

Thanks a lot for your useful information bro Vagabond :adore:

Btw, whats CEL? I have the b) issue and in terms of FC, im doing appr. 400++km with a full tank, city drive, is that consider poor FC bro? Any suggestion of where should I go for the diagnosis? for the TPS issue? Also, does it make a lot of difference for ori Honda TPS compared to American ones? Any suggestion of where to get the after market TPS? Appreciate much of your advices :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

yea i think i having the same issue, only let go pedal will hear the sound..but they say is normal..coz of the gearbox i think..not sure.
Hi guys, I have an issue whereby after I vtec there is rattling sound like something is loose coming from my accelarator pedal. I will only hear this sound when I lift my foot of the pedal. Had checked all the nuts and bolt are tighten. The sound is coming from inside the engine bay. it doesn't effect the performance but it's bloody annoying. Anyone experience this before? Cheers .. Hizam - 4747

Im having the same issue too. Pls advice when you found a solution to this matter bros. Cheers :biggrin:

GTI4740

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site

a) CEL
c) poor fc

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

have you checked your power steering hose mounting bracket??

open up the engine hood, look at the valve head cover.
the power steering hose is mounted / held in place by a bracket secured to the valve head cover.
there are two possible bracket positions for the hose, and the bracket itself is quite soft and bendable. it's possible that during deceleration, it comes into contact with either:
a) aftermarket engine tower bars
b) the valve head cover itself.

just bend the bracket to make sure that there is no contact with any possible points during engine vibration. clearance between metal points should be at least 10mm.
Thanks for the info bro. But it cannot be the power steering bracket as when I put my foot to the pedal the sound actually dissapeared.. It became apparent when I lifted my foot of the pedal. something is vibrating through the pedal.

Bur anyway, it' worth the try I will tryit out..

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks for the info bro. But it cannot be the power steering bracket as when I put my foot to the pedal the sound actually dissapeared.. It became apparent when I lifted my foot of the pedal. something is vibrating through the pedal.

Bur anyway, it' worth the try I will tryit out..

i'm not talking about the power steering bracket la bro ..... it's the bracket holding the hose from the top of the alternator to the power steering ..... there are two different mounting points there.
the vibration that cause the bracket impact occurred during accelerator lift off.

alternatively, it could be a faulty engine torque damper if you've got one installed

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Thanks a lot for your useful information bro Vagabond :adore:

Btw, whats CEL? I have the b) issue and in terms of FC, im doing appr. 400++km with a full tank, city drive, is that consider poor FC bro? Any suggestion of where should I go for the diagnosis? for the TPS issue? Also, does it make a lot of difference for ori Honda TPS compared to American ones? Any suggestion of where to get the after market TPS? Appreciate much of your advices :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

Im having the same issue too. Pls advice when you found a solution to this matter bros. Cheers :biggrin:

400+KM city driving sounds alright actually.
CEL = check engine light
Honda/Keihin TPS have much better connecting wires/terminals to the potentiometer inside the TPS, as compared to the american aftermarket ones: omni, obx, etc.....

GTI4740

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Found the culprit that been causing the rattling sound...according to the mech.. there is shaft going out where the throttle cable is .. the cable is rattling.. he put some greese and no more sound..

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
Found the culprit that been causing the rattling sound...according to the mech.. there is shaft going out where the throttle cable is .. the cable is rattling.. he put some greese and no more sound..
which shaft is that?

GTI4740

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
which shaft is that?
Quite frankly I didn;t see it.. it must be the one leading out to the firewall.. What ever the mech did it has dampen the sound a bit.. can still hear it but not as loud as before..

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
further_seems_forever.blogspot.com
hey just wanna check....do any pre-facelift guys experience this problem when shifting gears.

sometimes (not all the time), when you punch the clutch and shift from 2nd to 3rd (happens from 1st to 2nd sometimes), the gear knob sort of "POPS" out instead of transitioning smoothly?

its weird that the type R gearbox is so sensitive and theres crunching as well.

lazybass

Known Member
Jan 31, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hii guys just got my dc5 fcl lately.Anyway got problem with my fuel meter. During starting the car, the meter indicated at the normal fuel level, but when cruising the meter start to drop slowly almost 3 bar. When i stop the car the meter start going back to normal...have anyone got this prob..

Last edited:

fuazuri

Known Member
Jul 16, 2008
hey just wanna check....do any pre-facelift guys experience this problem when shifting gears.

sometimes (not all the time), when you punch the clutch and shift from 2nd to 3rd (happens from 1st to 2nd sometimes), the gear knob sort of "POPS" out instead of transitioning smoothly?

my dc5 last time does sometimes give out that weird 'pop' and crunch(which is normal among other dc5's i guess) but never ever had any problems regarding with the gearbox..i thought i was the only one having this kind of stuff:hmmmm:..however, it only happens to me during high revving and quick-shifting..other than that, gear transitions are smooth..

lazybass

Known Member
Jan 31, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
my dc5 last time does sometimes give out that weird 'pop' and crunch(which is normal among other dc5's i guess) but never ever had any problems regarding with the gearbox..i thought i was the only one having this kind of stuff:hmmmm:..however, it only happens to me during high revving and quick-shifting..other than that, gear transitions are smooth..
it happened to me sometimess during revving high rpm from fourth to fifth gear. Anyways, others are good..i thinks its normal.

jd5

Known Member
Mar 9, 2010
N/A

I experienced the same thing. When i first test drove my car, I thought the gearbox/synchros had issues. Test drove a few other DC5s, then I realised its pretty 'standard'.

So, I think its normal.

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
further_seems_forever.blogspot.com
ahhh then i guess im not the only one with the issue then....puts my mind at ease...

dont want it ending up costing me a bomb coz i ignored it and fucked my synchros

suru

Known Member
Aug 26, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, its time to change my serpentine belt(altenator punya belt).
Where i could find it and how much it cost?
FD2R punya belt can fit DC5 or not eh?
:adore::adore:

prasath_5338

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2005
Guys, its time to change my serpentine belt(altenator punya belt).
Where i could find it and how much it cost?
FD2R punya belt can fit DC5 or not eh?
:adore::adore:
The belt wont cost u much plus its easy to source....U can ask ur regular workshop to replace and order it OR get it urself at any honda spare part shop..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My dash is getting worn out after contantly being left in the sun. wonder if there is any place that offers dashboard rewrapping services??

has anyone done it before and how much are the charges?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience