DC5 Technical Problems/Issues

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
Post any problems of your beloved DC5 here. Perhaps experienced owners can share their thoughts/opinions with you. Please keep discussion focused as per thread title. :driver:

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
In all honesty, theres not much problems with these cars, but anyhow, maybe i can start the ball rolling and others gurus can further elaborate and add on. These problems have some commonality with EP3s also. Some of the problems seen so far:

1) Synchros crunch when hot... (but it seems its the pfls that have this prob more)
2) Undercarrige bump from exhaust flex when wet...
3) Hydro engine mounts kinda weak (DC only), but in general i think the mounts are a bit of a wus on these cars...

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
4) sensors keep dying , especially TPS & 02 sensor
5) water retention for stock pre-facelift side mirrors (car wash anyone?)

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
Hydro mount on p/s side definitely needs to be changed to stiffer mount! coz it wont last for years. but guys have u seen FD2R mounting on the p/s side? it has the hydro mount, But on top of it there's another mounting attached to it n connected to the body. sorta like ETD. looks way tougher than EP/DC.

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
yeah, that particular connection, according to Chris from Pentagon, acts something like an engine dampner, stops engine from too much movement during revving and accel off.

too bad our dc5's dont have it , we've gotta upgrade the mounts :banghead:

rev555

Known Member
Dec 30, 2007
buy a big absorber n do adapter n plug in to the engine lo..haha..less shock n vebration...hihi:biggrin::biggrin:

vtec_1088

Known Member
Feb 7, 2006
kl perak
just sharing some knowledge... happened 2 me..
problem: forgot 2 remove my -ve terminal while went out 4 o/station.. battery was weak.. had 2 jump start.. idle was ok then after 5 minute it starts 2 jump from 2K-3K rpm...
solution: drive it & make sure yr vtec open 4 the 1st & 2nd gears (rpm over 6K rpm).. another solution just drive it 4 10-20 minutes.. ecu will reset automatically (i meant back 2 normal)... cheers..

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
1) Synchros crunch when hot... (but it seems its the pfls that have this prob more)
2) Undercarrige bump from exhaust flex when wet...
3) Hydro engine mounts kinda weak (DC only), but in general i think the mounts are a bit of a wus on these cars...
i think only:-

1) pfls have it more often cause it is older and need overhaul. Or it could be the oil breakdown when hot.
2) common when you change after market exhaust. Solution change engine mounting or ETD and must change harder exhaust bush
3) Yes weak. Need mounting strengthening once I/H/E and ecu done.

Bump:
Hydro mount on p/s side definitely needs to be changed to stiffer mount! coz it wont last for years. but guys have u seen FD2R mounting on the p/s side? it has the hydro mount, But on top of it there's another mounting attached to it n connected to the body. sorta like ETD. looks way tougher than EP/DC.
YEs, from factory FD2R mount are much stronger than DC5 and FD2R does not need any attention on mounting till you break 205whp mark. Once pass 210whp mark engine rock is very significant and a solution is need and we have found the solution for all FD2R that break 210whp now. :)

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
Regarding Syncromeshes:

Apparently the PRE FACELIFT dc5's have just regular steel syncro's between the 4-5-6

but the face-lifted ones have been upgraded with carbon-something synchromeshes in the 4-5-6

I can't remember the exact details now, but run a google on it , the details should be there.

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
i believe pre-fl's should be able to use the carbon synchro's as the gear designs & ratios for the jdm pre-fl & fl are inherently the same.

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
Yeah true vagabond bro, should be the same as only the materials should be different. Unless honda made any minor adjustments to the carbon ones...

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
heh heh , honda only made major gear revisions for the USDM Acura RSX pre-facelift to post-face light.

nothing major for the JDM versions.

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
5) water retention for stock pre-facelift side mirrors (car wash anyone?)

the same happens to new facelift ... and its like LOTS of water coming out from the mirrors if u drive after a car wash.

Bump: 5) water retention for stock pre-facelift side mirrors (car wash anyone?)

the same happens to new facelift ... and its like LOTS of water coming out from the mirrors if u drive after a car wash.

rev555

Known Member
Dec 30, 2007
no wonder my carpet is wet la......i thought coming from the engine bay...damn...how to do ah..?:hmmmm:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear sifus,
any idea if i could DIY a timer for the air-cond fan to spin after i turn off the engine?
my idea was to cool down the engine/engine bay with just only the air-cond fan... means like after u turn off ur engine, of course la the engine compartment will be hot, so if there's such thing as a timer to make ur fan to spin and blow air into ur engine compartment to cool down ur system? :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience