Brakes upgrade

KaiKon

Known Member
Aug 19, 2006
Hi all
I plan to upgrade my brakes.other than upgrading to type R,
I'm thinking of getting the spoon caliper, with brembo discs (saw a thread, got forumer selling for less than rm500).
my questions are-
1)would a 15' 6.5jj with +35-38 offset clear the caliper?
2)would a 15' 7jj with +45 offset clear the caliper?
3)how much would the spoon caliper costs?
4)any other suggestions?is willwood any good?

Thanks for reading..enjoiii

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
-1, yes, depends on wat kind of wheel.
-2, mayb nop, depends on wat kind of wheel.
-3, rm3.9k for new, rm2.6-3.2k for used.
-4, Spoon will be great. some fren using, not bad.

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
- get good tyres. no point using big calipers with bad tyres.
- use proper brake pad ratings upon your chosen application.
- upgrade your brake hoses.

when u decide to upgrade your caliper and rotors after the rest above
- consider your rim offset and size to caliper clearance
- upgrade your master cylinder and booster

new or used calipers
- make sure u can find a service center that can services your aftermarket calipers. im not sure if SRR services other than endless brands. i suggest u call them first. used calipers needs to be serviced too.

KaiKon

Known Member
Aug 19, 2006
thx for the reply..Want to ask something about steel braided hose(correct me if im wrong), Would it help increase performance in braking?any good brands?
"rm3.9k for new, rm2.6-3.2k for used", price including discs and pads or just the caliper?thanks a lot..

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
here is a good write up from pro-rs
Justifying Brake System Upgrade

other good brands would be goodridge and app.

thx for the reply..Want to ask something about steel braided hose(correct me if im wrong), Would it help increase performance in braking?any good brands?
"rm3.9k for new, rm2.6-3.2k for used", price including discs and pads or just the caliper?thanks a lot..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Spoon calipers sometimes cannot clear +42, depending on design of rim. There's also the monoblock version, which is even thicker, and require you to use rims that give a lot of clearance. but the ones you usually see are the twinblock version.

Well, if you can afford spoon calipers, I think you can afford good tires.

It's quite easy to lock warmed up semis on the stock honda sliding calipers, at least for me, so I don't really find the spoon calipers much of an upgrade. like Jin said, good brakes but lousy tires = not good braking performance.

maybe those vented discs would be an improvement, but heck if you don't drive at the track, I don't think you'd push the stock discs to the limit of brake fade.

Then again, I do understand the wow factor of having spoon calipers. You should go see the monoblock version. Too bad I'd rather spend 4K somewhere else than on them :P.

KaiKon

Known Member
Aug 19, 2006
thx again for the replies guys..maybe i'll upgrade the hoses first.currently using bendix pads with ad07.still feel stopping power not enough..
shiro, about the vented discs,any idea/suggestion on brands and price?thanks..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
KaiKon, for me, the biggest difference in braking came with changing pads.

I'm using the Endless (forgot what model) pads now, and i replaced them because my standard nissin pads finished.

Of course, I'm also using a five lug type R discs, so braking is heck of a lot better than the standard EG discs.

I swap driving cars sometimes, and when I do, I usually find the brakes on the B16A EK 4 lug lacking.

If you're looking for better braking, I'm more inclined to suggest a brake swap from a type R DC2, if you're on EG, or EK9, if you're on EK.
There's also the BB Prelude discs conversion, which is an option if you already bought some expensive 4 lug rims like the TE37s or Desmond Evo, and swapping rims is not an option.

But if budget is limited, then pads is the only way to go.. but when you start looking at performance pad prices, suddenly the earlier suggestions won't seem so expensive anymore.

Aftermarket discs, around here from most I've seen, they either use stockers, or Project U. Brembo usually for other makes.

Discs with hats, usually have to get someone knowledgable to install, sometimes the hat is not torqued properly from factory, and they will squeal.

Last edited:

nehemiah

Known Member
May 23, 2006
DC2R brakes needs at least wat rim size 15's ?
Heheh i've been looking for 4 lug brake swap.. the BB is same diameter as the DC2R 286mm?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Yes, with the DC2R brakes, need minimum15" rims. 5-8mm caliper to inside wheel well clearance, just enough to fit thick wheel weights with most 15 rims.

They look better on 16's though, but with 15" tire prices being what they are, I'm not heading the 16" route anytime soon.. Rather retain my 15" with RE-001.

nehemiah

Known Member
May 23, 2006
Hmm.. so 15 inch with 40-45 offset should be okay?
I love my RE-001s :)

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Offset wise, depends on wheel width, for example

15x7JJ inch width will need about +35 +40, +35 will rub the inner fender (not the side fender) sometimes.

15x6JJ Inch width will need about +42-45, any smaller number means tires are more
'inside' the wheel well. These will never scrub even with +35

15x8JJ will need +35 or more too much and tire sits outside the side fenders.

usually +/- 2mm offset is not very obvious, and can be settled with more negative camber, if looks are that important.

then there's also the issue if you had installed a bodykit, or have a more extreme camber (if you're the 'look' oriented crowd. Usually bigger offset is nicer if you want to put in more negative camber.

It puts more strain on the knuckles, so don't drive too ganas when doing that kind of setup.

Last edited:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Ladies and gentlemen, Honda Malaysia is proud to present their newly revised and ever-popular and best selling CKD sedan that Honda says you will be able to experience economical driving within a spacious interior.

<!--more-->Powered by Honda’s SOHC i-VTEC 1.5L 4-banger, it still provides the best power output; 118bhp at 6,600rpm and 145Nm of torque at 4,800rpm, and comes in either the Grade...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience