BOV got engine oil

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
ok turbo sifus here,

my probem is my bov got engine oil come out....

wat is the problem? izzit i hv to service my turbo? i clean intake hose b4....but after few days the oil coming out again...really sienz la make my whole engine bay dirty

any ideas wat wrong wit it?

car spec:
Evo 3 gsr stock 4g63 wit greedy blow off n arc intercooler

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
Oil coming out of BOV? That's the first time I've heard of such thing. Sounds like there's a leak somewhere, and my best guess is the turbine itself. Any funny sounds when boosting? Or funny feeling during boost? I kinda doubt it but it may very well be that the turbine is leaking its oil into the piping.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
so the turbine hv to service huh?

coz everytime after whack the engine...bov sure lots of oil coming out and my engine oil level wil reduce..so hv to top up..

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
Yes, since the turbocharger uses engine oil to lubricate the bearings, it's not unlikely your engine oil level will drop. See the image I posted for my guess of where the leak may be.

I would probably just look for another turbine..

Oh and BTW, I would refrain from driving the car if I were you.. Engine oil + Air + Fuel + Combustion = not very pleasant smelling (white?) smoke and may possibly ruin the engine..

Last edited:

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
MizuChi said:
Yes, since the turbocharger uses engine oil to lubricate the bearings, it's not unlikely your engine oil level will drop. See the image I posted for my guess of where the leak may be.

I would probably just look for another turbine..

Oh and BTW, I would refrain from driving the car if I were you.. Engine oil + Air + Fuel + Combustion = not very pleasant smelling (white?) smoke and may possibly ruin the engine..
the car din smell bad n white smoke le..like normal...juz the engine oil in BOV problem..

tat turbine worth for repair/service or juz change another one?

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
doess ur breather hose (the one connectod at the valve cover) connected back to ur airfilter?
if u whack ur engine, engine oil sometimes blow into the airfilter and then sucked by the turbin, then to the intercooler, and manifold.
check ur intercooler also, maybe got oil in there too.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
I got the same problem b4 I relocate the breather hoses from valve cover to oil catch tank. Had to remove all the intercooler pipes + intercooler itself for chemical cleaning. Lots of oily residue inside.

kRiminaLz

500 RPM
Aug 5, 2004
Docklands/SAlam
Visit site
Maxx said:
doess ur breather hose (the one connectod at the valve cover) connected back to ur airfilter?
if u whack ur engine, engine oil sometimes blow into the airfilter and then sucked by the turbin, then to the intercooler, and manifold.
check ur intercooler also, maybe got oil in there too.
yup... this thing happened to me b4...
thought the turbine almost kong, but dont haf any white smoke... its a bit wierd heh..
but after consulting a few plp, found out that its bcoz of the breather hose.. save $$$ for the turbine..

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
kRiminaLz said:
yup... this thing happened to me b4...
thought the turbine almost kong, but dont haf any white smoke... its a bit wierd heh..
but after consulting a few plp, found out that its bcoz of the breather hose.. save $$$ for the turbine..
then u put the small filter at there o connect OCT?

alfian96

Known Member
Nov 19, 2005
hi guys ,

just wanna share some experience too. My car also like that ler :mad:

it will flow into intercooler as well, come out from BOV , all over engine bay .. all becoz of the stupid turbine.

kuakenny , what engine ur using ? can solve it ??

if normal drive it wont happen right ?? only when turbo on... right ??

:cool: :albertein

Last edited:

dorifto_deMoN

Known Member
Mar 22, 2005
okie, if u`re car doesn`t hav white smoke coming out from the exhaust, that is one other thing. at ur rocker cover will have an outlet pipe(usually just one but every engine got this outlet. when u`re whacking ur car(high speed driving or u just high revving) the oil will vaporize and go through this outlet. factory standards, this outlet will go back in ur throttle body(via hose). This is done to recycle back the vaporized engine oil.

so what u need to do is unplugged the whole intake system(is this the right term??) which is your intercooler hoses, your air filter, the intercooler and the bov. clean it up. make it nice and shiny.

then, the important part. the hose from the outlet pipe should not be joined back to enter the throttle body. the cheap way is just to find a longer hose, connect one end to ur outlet pipe and the other end goes down ur engine bay. meaning u just leave the hose pointing to the ground. so all the vaporized oil will go straight to the road.

the other way is to buy a oct(oil catch tank), and the hose from the outlet pipe goes in the oct. usually(maybe all) OCT has two inlets.it doesn`t matter which one is connected though.

that will hopely resolve ur probs. but if it doesn`t, maybe it has to do something with ur turbo.

evors

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
Johor, Malaysia
Turbine Problem

Bro,

I think your problem is exactly as what MizuChi explain. Your turbine might have an oil leak, meaning the oil is now getting into your intake. Check your intercooler too, might be filled with oil now (not healthy as oil is not compressible). My friends L2 had the same problem, oil spewing out of the BOV all over the engine bay even unto the windscreen. He changed the turbine, all ok now. Had to clean the whole intake system too, I/C, piping, bov, throttle body, intake plenum.

Do u need an EVO3 turbine, might consider selling mine at the right price. Upgrading soon :smile: Or, this is the right time for U to upgrade to TD06.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
alfian96 said:
hi guys ,

just wanna share some experience too. My car also like that ler :mad:

it will flow into intercooler as well, come out from BOV , all over engine bay .. all becoz of the stupid turbine.

kuakenny , what engine ur using ? can solve it ??

if normal drive it wont happen right ?? only when turbo on... right ??

:cool: :albertein
i think so.....if drive normal is ok.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Previously, i had installed adjustable cam pulley on 4g93t..on the same time,i installed e-manage,sard fuel regulator and wallbro fuel pump.
i was on a standard boost (0.6bar) before installing those parts..and after installing,my mech set the boost to 1 bar as i insist...
the power i felt after testing on pickup(1st,2nd gear,cause the road not so long)was like same as 0.6 bar...or maybe is just my imagination...and after a long period of driving of my modification above,i got the feeling...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience