BMW F10 520d Opti-Coated

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
Brand new BMW F10 520d.....

The owner wanted to protect his new ride and having been disappointed with another brand of coating which only lasted a few weeks. He decided to go with Optimum Opti-Coat.

The coating only serves to protect the paint below. Any coating applied to uncorrected paint would only serve to permanently seal in any paint defects. The quality of result is dependent on the paint being fully corrected before the coating is applied.

As this was a new car with only 150km on the clock, this should have been a fairly straightforward paint correction before coating..... should have been...

As with the Porsche GT2 Detail, I was joined by Mun aka muyo of Hypergloss.

The car had the usual dirt and grime...

Which was easily cleaned up with Optimum No-Rinse.

Especially when used with the Optimum Opti-Mitt.

The wheels were surprisingly dirty.

Easily removed with Optimum Power Clean.

Except for these stains....

Which had seeped into the pores of the paint and could not be removed...

Except by wet sanding...

The stains seemed to have been flung up by the tires and were splattered on both sides of the car.

And required spot sanding to remove...

There were also some deeper scratches on the hood and bonnet which required compounding with Optimum Hyper Compound w/ Optimum Double-Sided Wool Pad. The advantage of the OHC is the very minimal dusting which comes in handy when only selected compounding is required as it does not cover the rest of the car in dust.

The spot sanding marks were removed and the rest of the car polished with Optimum Hyper Polish w/ Optimum Double-Sided Red Foam Pad. This combination has enough correcting power to remove sanding marks while leaving behind a perfect finish.

Mun at work.

Prepped and ready for coating.

Nice gloss and reflections after Opti-Coat.

For more details of the detail and more pictures check out the original post here:
ProDetailing: BMW F10 520d Optimum Opti-Coated

SevenDust

Known Member
Feb 10, 2006
Another awesome work by 2 superb detailers! Keep it up!. Were those tar stains?

muyo

Known Member
Jan 27, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Another awesome work by 2 superb detailers! Keep it up!. Were those tar stains?
dont look like tar stain bro, dont know where the dealer got it from but im sure that car ran over something on the road. stain that cant feel with finger, the stain like bonded into the clear coat. imagine using 1500grit to sand that off stain.. :banghead:

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Bugger... Seech making Mun do all the hard work again while he enjoy taking pictures. Seech, don't tell me you take all the booty and leave the small change for Mun. Have to pay him more! :biggrin:

Stain cannot even remove with AIO like Optimumm poli-seal? Hmmm...

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
Bugger... Seech making Mun do all the hard work again while he enjoy taking pictures. Seech, don't tell me you take all the booty and leave the small change for Mun. Have to pay him more! :biggrin:

Stain cannot even remove with AIO like Optimumm poli-seal? Hmmm...
Ya man! Mun will confirm that I keep him well fed with food and drinks..... :-)

He IS a very talented detailer thanks to all that training from KC and I'm very glad that he could help me out with this detail.

The stain was soaked into the pores of the paint. Probably could have been removed with compounding but spot sanding was faster and easier.

SevenDust

Known Member
Feb 10, 2006
dont look like tar stain bro, dont know where the dealer got it from but im sure that car ran over something on the road. stain that cant feel with finger, the stain like bonded into the clear coat. imagine using 1500grit to sand that off stain.. :banghead:
walao! that bad, huh? guess the stain has been there for a long time for it to set/bond with the clear coat. At least this one isn't as bad as the myvi we did.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does anyone at here use those cheap 200-500 bucks taiwan or china made intercoolers before ?

I seen alot of china or taiwan makes using Apexi Delta Fins design out there with dirt cheap price tags , does these intercooler effecient enough to do heat transfer instead of just being a interfooler that had straight pipe in the cores and flowing hot air directly from the turbo/supercharger into the intake ?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience