4age 20v BT knocking

Raymond_Hu

500 RPM
Oct 26, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
Hi all, I have using my BT for few years. So far very satisfied with it without any problem. Recently it started to have knocking during certain condition:

1) Using RON95, knocking will appeared when suddenly full throttle in low gear and low speed
2) Using RON 97, a little bit knocking may abit when suddenly full throttle in low gear and low speed
3) If add fuel line cleaner during pumping petrol, it will resolve 80% of the knocking.

Anybody knows what may be the causes of the knocking? Could it due to too much carbon built up in the combustion room?

20V Trumpeteer

Known Member
Jan 2, 2010
Kedah
Pls check ur distributor position whether it's retard or advance...bout the petrol, I pumped
RON95+octane booster and it feels smooth...less knocking or pinging...bout carbon built up, u can pour the engine flush..use it as recommended coz if u leave it too long in ur engine, it will 'eat' all ur seals...the best is to overhaul ur engine,then u can see clearly whats the root of ur prob...IMHO

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
hi all sifu..

My car also felt knocking at low speed and low rpm after change engine oil ( normal 4000km service ma)... after 1thousand km.. then back to normal!.. will my timing too high ?

thanks for advised...

btw, i tried ron 95 + booster from TORCO.. few slightly improvement on torque.. but too costly to try avtime i pump in petrol.. end up result = tuned emanage with RON95 works well and knocking can be reduce ... hahaha.. hope this info can help..

20v_ke35

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
Ipoh, Perak D R
I think it the fuel in Malaysia making this knocking problem. With 95, I had to very2 slowly open the throttle to minimize the knocking. With 97, I can open hard, but if too hard, then the knocking will start....

But with 100 and 1++, I can do anything without any knocking at all. Plus, I can get 180km/h in third at only 4,000rpm and still get 14km/l. 20v not lagi best, but best giler.....

20V Trumpeteer

Known Member
Jan 2, 2010
Kedah
I use unifide octane booster...cost me only RM 13.00 and it lasts me couple of fill ups..each bottle has a volume of 355ml...each fill up l poured 150ml...those brand like torco, Lucas, Nitrous Express etc are the premium brands...lucky u all from klang valley, has a plenty of brands to choose from...juz the matter of where the place can u buy the things

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
best is just send it to mech and get everything check and tune...
maybe it's already old... need to adjust the distributor timing...
get it adjusted according to the fuel you will use...
otherwise your trial and error to eliminate this problem might causes other bigger problem to the engine...:biggrin:

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
This is an interesting topic. Looking at the octane booster that you guys talked about, Theoretically, higher compression engines, in this case 11:1 for BT requires higher octane rating fuel.

I've seen other forums talking about octane booster myths. If your engine is not designed for higher octane rating, you'll lose the power output.

It will be great if someone can confirm on the fuel grade 20V BT is designed for. As for octane booster, I think further research is needed before you add it into your fuel tank..

Anyway, just for sharing purposes, this website is showing RON100 for 20V engines
http://www.club4ag.com/technical_main.htm

Last edited:

20V Trumpeteer

Known Member
Jan 2, 2010
Kedah
That 4AGE 20V that use Ron 91/92 probably comes from the caribbean region...correct me if l'm wrong:idea:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I think maybe too much carbon...

And by the way, we always hear that same cars in foreign countries can run on much lower octane i.e RON91 with no problems. I don't know why that is not the case here. RON 95 also knock. Previously I suspect that the RON ratings are different for different country. But later I realised it is actually a standard unit. SO I really don't know what kind of stupid petrol the G provide us with here.

zmays

Known Member
Feb 20, 2006
maybe RON is standard for every country but the additives are different for each country..

20v_ke35

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
Ipoh, Perak D R
20V actually design for RON 100. For low RON use, I think, we should go for stock 4ag ECU from the UK or Aussie. Over there they also use RON95 like us. But again, maybe due to their geographic location, the RON95 works well. Latitude and humidity also have effect on the combustion.

Last time I use to mix RON95 with racing fuel in a ratio of 50:1. Base on calculation, I should get somewhere at RON96+. But the feeling and performance, I think it is somewhere over RON100. Will try to increase the ratio more to sustain the performance like RON100 or RON98.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
20V actually design for RON 100. For low RON use, I think, we should go for stock 4ag ECU from the UK or Aussie. Over there they also use RON95 like us. But again, maybe due to their geographic location, the RON95 works well. Latitude and humidity also have effect on the combustion.

Last time I use to mix RON95 with racing fuel in a ratio of 50:1. Base on calculation, I should get somewhere at RON96+. But the feeling and performance, I think it is somewhere over RON100. Will try to increase the ratio more to sustain the performance like RON100 or RON98.

how do u calculate RON? please share with us :biggrin:

Raymond_Hu

500 RPM
Oct 26, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
Pls check ur distributor position whether it's retard or advance...bout the petrol, I pumped
RON95+octane booster and it feels smooth...less knocking or pinging...bout carbon built up, u can pour the engine flush..use it as recommended coz if u leave it too long in ur engine, it will 'eat' all ur seals...the best is to overhaul ur engine,then u can see clearly whats the root of ur prob...IMHO

I have never adjust the distributor position since I convert my BT. The knocking just appear recently. When I pump Caltex ron 95, it knocking like hell even cruising at highway with suddenly heavy foot. The knocking will be eliminate >80% when add fuel line cleaner during pumping petrol.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Bro's,

Need your assistance to provide me on some information about my car.

I own A Proton Perdana SEi 1998,

The issue here is,
I just got this car 5 months ago from my bro in law, and know less abt it.
I don't know what engine it is and it's a manual transmission Gbox.
The clutch Pad and the Gbox has an obvious marks of welding (Signs of convert)
It has the 2000 yr V6 Leather seats also has the feet rest as though it was a Auto transmission car before.

I went to many Workshop's but...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience