Honda City Vs Kia Forte

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
From a biased Honda user/fan/lover, i'll say go for City. All I can say about Honda, it's a bloody good car. You can worry less about the parts being expensive and so on. Why? Because they don't give away easily. I can't comment on Forte or Kia though. Never owned one. But on paper, NO DOUBT the Forte is by far the more attractive car with all the EVERYTHING for less than RM100k. Choice is yours.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Having driven both and not own either, I'm more inclined to the Forte. It's more luxurious inside, the back seats aren't are straight as the Citys and are more plush, it has more safety features (in fact in this price range it's unbeatable) and it looks cool in white. FC wise though the City is better but in terms of accessories and kit, the City is very poorly setup. It doesn't even have a boot sensor (to determine if it's open or not - to activate the alarm). Perhaps this has been rectified in the newer models but for the 1st and 2nd batch, to install the alarm meant you'd have to add an extra switch or sensor to the boot to link it up to the alarm system otherwise it could be wide open and the alarm wouldn't know the difference.

I don't like the 17" size rims on the Forte though, tyres aren't cheap these days and people who buy this range of cars is looking for luxury but (no offense) at the same time aren't too keen on spending too much. Having said that the City uses 16" tyres which isn't exactly cheap either.

Spare parts for the Forte is surprisingly abundant (probably due to the number of Fortes on the road now) and aren't too far off in terms of cost compared to the City. So maintenance and affordablility the Forte and City isn't too far apart.

Performance wise both are quite nimble and both have pretty nice handling characteristics. Though I didn't push it to the limit (when do you really ever push it to the limit anyway?) both corner very well and acceleration for both cars are pretty good. High speed overtaking however both are lacking. But for this size engine you can't really say much. The 2.0 Forte on the other hand is a torque monster at almost any speed. Nice that one.

In the long run it's all about preference. I prefer my cars white or some shade of light colours and I like comfort with some performance thrown in here and there. Forte delivers this effortlessly compared to the City.

Price wise both are similar but the Forte is better equipped.

Last edited:

alantjw

1,500 RPM
Mar 26, 2008
yup.. im driving a forte for my daily drive and i love it... it will have a better FC on highways compare to Honda City... but in traffic jam times the city will win the forte... As what Izso says... forte will beat city in mayny ways.. besides forte is a B segment car and city is a Compact car... forte should be compare to Civic in the Honda range and Corolla/Mazda 3

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
yup.. im driving a forte for my daily drive and i love it... it will have a better FC on highways compare to Honda City... but in traffic jam times the city will win the forte... As what Izso says... forte will beat city in mayny ways.. besides forte is a B segment car and city is a Compact car... forte should be compare to Civic in the Honda range and Corolla/Mazda 3
Well, if you're going to talk about b-segment no other car beats the forte in price, but for a 1.6, its performance is lacking compared to the Civic, Altis, Mazda3, Cruze, etc.

It's just a bang-for-buck car if comparing with b-segment cars. Everything else it kinda loses out.

alantjw

1,500 RPM
Mar 26, 2008
Well, if you're going to talk about b-segment no other car beats the forte in price, but for a 1.6, its performance is lacking compared to the Civic, Altis, Mazda3, Cruze, etc.

It's just a bang-for-buck car if comparing with b-segment cars. Everything else it kinda loses out.
yeah bor... then again there is a 2.0 version therfore use the 2.0 to compete to the B segment cars which will be on par with Civic and the Mazda 3. i did also tried the cruise but still like the gadgets the forte gives.. but to compare it to a City then forte will be way better...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
my skepticism towards korean car manufacturers are due to their crappy gearboxes in the previous generation - close friends and family have transmission failure in their Atos & Getz, engine condemn in Kia Carnival (not Naza badged).

then add in the crappy second hand value.

In this segment I think the Nissan Latio is an underdog. In the US its rather popular, bagging Consumer Digest's Best Buy Award 2007 to 2010. 4 years in a row.

Of course, Kia Forte vs City, the Kia is a compact, a class above City that is a sub-compact. Not a fair comparison, but its the same price bracket - so Kia wins. The Nissan Latio is a compact as well, but the Kia is better equipped yet again.

alantjw

1,500 RPM
Mar 26, 2008
yup.. i do agree with you bro on the previous problems with korean cars as i also do have many friends drive them... but all resent models was engineered by an engineer from German from engines-gearbox-body styling. i also heard that he previously worked with Audi... so far many of my frens drive the forte and don't have any major problems from it. even if they do.. they also provides 5 years warranty... besides people shud buy cars not looking in resale values but looking at it if we really like it.. cars are a liability so no point looking in the resale value... in lay man terms "we buy car that we like to drive not to sell."

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
yup.. i do agree with you bro on the previous problems with korean cars as i also do have many friends drive them... but all resent models was engineered by an engineer from German from engines-gearbox-body styling. i also heard that he previously worked with Audi... so far many of my frens drive the forte and don't have any major problems from it. even if they do.. they also provides 5 years warranty... besides people shud buy cars not looking in resale values but looking at it if we really like it.. cars are a liability so no point looking in the resale value... in lay man terms "we buy car that we like to drive not to sell."
I agree with you, but its too soon to tell whether the recent models will make it or not :) time will prove it eventually. whether you want to take the potential risk is personal preference, whereas Toyota and Honda is a safer bet. Of course a lot of Kia owners say Kia is doing well in the states, but keep in mind they have a 10 year warranty there so nobody cares about transmission failures.

Again, agree with the resale value point, but resale value is important for people who change cars often. I've a buddy who changes car every 5 years, again, this is personal preference and its hard to judge.

sadly I didn't buy a car I'd like to drive, I bought it cause it fit my budget criteria - like you said its a liability, so for me no point spending so much on it, plus I have other commitments, oh well, reality is a female dog sometimes.

Mic

Dec 3, 2005
I will go for Honda City since the price not different by much, Those two are different model of car. You will see many gaggets in Forte but those will failed one day and you will need to pay for it. How many times you need those thing to start a car or play with the shifter? Nice to have but is it a need to? You decide.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I will go for Honda City since the price not different by much, Those two are different model of car. You will see many gaggets in Forte but those will failed one day and you will need to pay for it. How many times you need those thing to start a car or play with the shifter? Nice to have but is it a need to? You decide.
Erm.. ABS, EBD, passanger airbag, traction control... etc... I'd dare say yes I need them.

alantjw

1,500 RPM
Mar 26, 2008
sadly I didn't buy a car I'd like to drive, I bought it cause it fit my budget criteria - like you said its a liability, so for me no point spending so much on it, plus I have other commitments, oh well, reality is a female dog sometimes.
Bro.. it is sad to drive a car that you don't like. budget is really important i do agree with you on that but Forte isn't that expensive compare to city. and for a person with less budget shoud have bought a second hand car or local car...

bro... everything will fail eventually one day.. besides i use to be a Honda kaki and i would say Honda parts are not cheap either... besides, due to technology advancement we do kina need these gadgets. if you dont need too many of this gadgets you could get the EX model...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

last week my gf's car got break in and lost a Kenwood CD player..

her car is a 100% stock..i donno whats wrong with ppl now dayz,and the player that got stolen is a normal kenwood player...

she is driving a satria,that damn thief broke the galss behind the driver door..that &%&* thief damn smart,i wonder y dont he break the glass on the driver door instead the wan behind,THAT IS FREAKIN MORE EXPENSIVE COMPARE TO THE FRONT ONES!!!

now she in complaining y the &^$*$& am i not staying at...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience